U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 472,859 times

Advertisements

I just drove to Athens and back on GA-316 for the first time in awhile and all I can think of is how badly that road needs to be converted into an Interstate / Freeway. I know back in the past there was speculation on converting it into a tollroad but the idea fell through because the full trip between Gwinnett and Athens was going to cost about $10.00 one way. I am also in favor of how Beltway 99 is being handled in Houston and believe the same should occur for GA 316. Basically on Beltway 99, you have the option of exiting and BYPASSING the toll and riding the access road through the intersections and merging right back on after the intersection. You don't have to pay a dime if you do it like this, only you will still have to go through every traffic light. The would technically keep GA-316 free while tolling all the overpasses and I personally think that would be very fair..but thats actually not the idea I came to propose.

My Idea
This would require an alteration of all the traffic lights on corridors with a speed limit of 60 MPH or higher and possibly even the DMV Driving Books, but it would be to add a seperate traffic light phase. Here is why... We can all say, everyone needs to slow down and do 65 MPH (on GA 316) which is the posted speed limit (which is actually still very fast on even a divided highway that has traffic lights.) but saying this and this actually happening is about as likely as one of us winning the lottery, or it isn't going to happen so I'm not going to waste my breath and time saying what "should" happen versus what actually IS going to happen.

People drive as fast as 85 MPH on these roads, or basically they treat it like an interstate and in some areas they are quite like one but the danger is when a traffic light changes from Green to Red - at that speed its very difficult to stop for a red light, infact if its still yellow and I'm approaching at anything above 55 MPH.. I'm not even going to try to stop, Im going to blow through it even if its an early red.

The idea would be to add an "Advanced Warning" signal phase or basically while the light is still green, when it detects that its about to change yellow in about 5 to 10 seconds, then the yellow light would start flashing while the solid green light remains lit. Permitting traffic to continue passing, but warning drivers further down the road, especially speeders, that the light is going to change soon. about 3 seconds before it changes, both the Green and Yellow signal will flash, then the light will turn solid yellow, and the yellow phase will remain only a few moments longer to help confused drivers clear the intersection, and finally red.. securing the intersection for cross traffic.

Does this make sense?

Opinions?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-02-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:14 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
It makes sense.

There are other parts of the world that do this already actually.

The problem we will face is I think more people will use it as an excuse to speed up and try to make it.

I think better results would come from lengthening the current yellow time.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
As a driver, you should always have control of your vehicle. That includes not approaching a signalized intersection at 85 mph.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As a driver, you should always have control of your vehicle. That includes not approaching a signalized intersection at 85 mph.
While I agree, a great number of drivers are not only approaching these intersections at 85 MPH, but also blowing through them at that speed. I personally won't approach an intersection on GA-316 at anything more than 70 MPH but even at the speed limit, 65 MPH - Its not exactly childs play coming to a complete hault at a red light which is why I say if Im closing in on the intersection and the light changes, I'm not going to attempt to stop for it.. I will blow it even if its an early red. Now that doesnt mean Im going to speed up for it..I will maintain my speed.. but it would be too difficult, and possibly dangerous to slow down from those speeds to stop for a traffic light "on the sudden"

Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
All I know is, state gas tax needs to fund new overpasses, so that it can be a limited access freeway all the way out to Athens. That project should be accelerated.

And then also commuter/regional passenger rail along the corridor.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Im personally mostly in favor of it becoming a limited access freeway. Is Georgia even thinking about this any longer?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Yeah, it's still a long term plan. Do a Google search on it.

They plan to build overpasses at most of those intersections, but probably not in order. And it will take another decade or more.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,221,864 times
I live right off 99 SW of Houston now. To get to a bunch of stuff I just hop on the freeway for a couple of miles and get off the next exit, toll free. I've noticed a LOT of people do indeed get off at every single exit to avoid the tolls.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM

It's going to happen, but the last few bridges won't be started on until after 2026:

https://www.georgiapol.com/2016/05/0...eville-athens/

Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I live right off 99 SW of Houston now. To get to a bunch of stuff I just hop on the freeway for a couple of miles and get off the next exit, toll free. I've noticed a LOT of people do indeed get off at every single exit to avoid the tolls.
It was intentionally designed that way, you can use it as an at-grade bypass and just deal with the traffic lights, or you can pay to bypass the intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta