U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 6,935,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You had me until then. Now I just think you're insane.
Well, myself and many other Atlantans are living that "insanity" of not owning a car. It is a change more and more are picking up and is getting easier and easier. I personally think all y'all sitting in traffic for hours a day are the insane ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bythewayof View Post
Wow! I remember before we left there seemed to be gentrification occurring along Moreland Ave, as we would go to the Drive In (is that still there?), so that area is being developed?
Yeah, there is still steady development and improvement happening around East Atlanta. But you will still recongize the area (which is a good thing in it's own way). The pace of change along the Beltline / Old Fourth Ward is much more mind-blowing.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 PM

1,143 posts, read 480,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well, myself and many other Atlantans are living that "insanity" of not owning a car. It is a change more and more are picking up and is getting easier and easier. I personally think all y'all sitting in traffic for hours a day are the insane ones.
Well it depends on where you live and work in Atlanta too. If you live outside the perimeter by atleast 5 miles, not worth taking transit IMO, especially if your job is also outside the perimeter.

Case in point, If you live in Lawrenceville and work in Alpharetta, you would have to take Gwinnett transit all the way to Doraville, then take a train to Lindbergh, then another train north to North Springs and bus yourself to Alpharetta and walk to your job. Scenic, but not very feasible for anyone on a schedule. It would take aproximately 3 hours to do all of that. Where as even in heavy traffic you can drive to Alpharetta from Lawrenceville in about an hour and a half.

On the other hand, if you live inside the city and you're near a street car, beltline, or MARTA train and you also WORK inside the perimeter, or near Downtown.. then yeah, there would be a huge advantage versus sitting in inner-city traffic.

But I really wish Atlanta would step up its game regarding mass-transit to the subhurbs. Houston is worse I guess..but its still greatly needed.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Quote:
I personally think all y'all sitting in traffic for hours a day are the insane ones.
Rate this post positively
Have you ever heard of throwing out the baby with the bath water? There is such a thing as minimizing your use of a car and not sitting in traffic all day...but still having one when you need to go to the grocery store, Home Depot, etc.

But whatever. I mean, I'm not here to tell you not to live your fringe lifestyle and do whatever you want. But you've got to know that it's pretty silly to spout it as a solution for many other people.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of throwing out the baby with the bath water? There is such a thing as minimizing your use of a car and not sitting in traffic all day...but still having one when you need to go to the grocery store, Home Depot, etc.

But whatever. I mean, I'm not here to tell you not to live your fringe lifestyle and do whatever you want. But you've got to know that it's pretty silly to spout it as a solution for many other people.
Not owning a car doesn't mean you never touch one. In fact it gives you more freedom and saves you money not having one. Take the train to the game, then take an Uber straight to the Ace Hardware around the corner to grab the widget you needed and walk home all while while Instacart is getting the groceries delivered to your door. And all that while saving you money on transportation. If you own a car you have already sunk most of the costs into it so now you feel obligated to take it everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well it depends on where you live and work in Atlanta too.
This is true of anywhere. If you decide to live at the top of a mountain with only foot trail access, you better expect to hike most places.

Low-car and no-car options are one of the great things that is available to anyone willing to live and work in Atlanta. It has improved significantly as an option in the last few years. Uber barely existed then.

If one doesn't consider it with your next move, you might be a masochist.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Low-car and no-car options are one of the great things that is available to anyone willing to live and work in Atlanta.
With your argument, you can live a car-free lifestyle in Nashville, Boise, or Dubuque. Uber and Instacart exist everywhere (or almost everywhere....I don't know the penetration, exactly, but you could tout the no-car lifestyle just about anywhere using your logic).

Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
With your argument, you can live a car-free lifestyle in Nashville, Boise, or Dubuque. Uber and Instacart exist everywhere (or almost everywhere....I don't know the penetration, exactly, but you could tout the no-car lifestyle just about anywhere using your logic).
Yes, you can (though Uber and Instacart are not everywhere). It is just something that continues to get increasingly easier and more preferable in intown Atlanta over the last several years and will continue to do so in the future.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,666,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes, you can (though Uber and Instacart are not everywhere). It is just something that continues to get increasingly easier and more preferable in intown Atlanta over the last several years and will continue to do so in the future.
I like Uber, if I'm a visitor. It saves me no time, otherwise.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 PM

14,954 posts, read 26,701,125 times
Let's get back to the topic, please.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 PM

Personally, I think that Amazon has made it much easier to live in places outside major metropolitan areas. Growing up in Birmingham, one of my biggest gripes was certain things just weren't available there. Now, everything is available to anyone with a mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or