Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
I would imagine that the entertainment district and the MMPT could easily work together. As I understand it, this is supposed to be a private/public partnership type deal. I bet the folks behind the entertainment district wouldn't mind the city's central terminal right below their project. I think there would be some sort of above ground station building, but it wouldn't cover the entirety of the MMPT.

The name of the entertainment district developer is slipping my mind, but they are behind some pretty impressive projects. Things seem like the could be lining up for something very good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
AJC article
Lawmaker: Revive plans for downtown Atlanta passenger terminal
Quote:
On Thursday, CSX regional vice president Craig Camuso said the state must update a four-year-old study of the project to account for new developments, like the stadium and changing transportation technology.

“We’d like to see the study refreshed before we could even comment,” Camuso said.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
From that article:

Quote:
Beach said the momentum on mass transit makes this the right time to revive the passenger terminal proposal. And though hurdles remain, he rejected the idea of kicking the can down the road with another study.

“I think we’ve studied this to death,” he said. “It’s time to start building. We’re Georgia. We have to go big or go home.”
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Did some other being take over the body of a republican Ga lawmaker? Where you at B2R, we need some of that great commentary!

Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Brandon Beach has been a big MARTA and rail and transit advocate for a while now. He is a very moderate and rational Republican, especially considering the conservative district he serves, Milton and parts of Cherokee County. He is a cool guy.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Doraville would make a good stopgap station. It would allow Amtrak to store equipment far easier than at the Brookhaven station, and there would be already-built, direct access to MARTA heavy rail.

In the future, it should be one of many (roughly) Perimeter regional stations, serving local commuter, regional commuter, intercity, and interstate rail as well as many forms of local transit.

I agree that it should not be the station, though. We should have a true central station conglomerating as many core transit systems as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh, have to add this tasty little quote from the bottom of the $140 article -

Whoa. That's a Georgia Republican talking
I wish more who claim to be fiscally responsible would see the light as Beach has. That is, that transit is an important part of any truly successful metropolis, and that a successful metropolis is fantastic for state finances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want this. I rather have an entertainment district. I don't plan on taking a train anywhere. I rather fly or drive. Soon you'll be able just to sit in your car and it will drive you to your destination.
As others said, they're not mutually exclusive. Remember that the MMPT plans had a large mall, full of shops and restaurants, on the ground floor, as well as plenty of public space for gatherings and such. It also included a number of large towers, all of which could include any number of entertainment and social venues in them.

If anything, an MMPT makes any downtown entertainment area more successful as it allows many more people many more options to get to and from that area.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
When Trump rolls out his infrastructure plan, this will be a great opportunity for Georgia to flex its Republican muscle.

Can Team Perdue, Isakson and Handel bring home the bacon?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post

Yes.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Quote:
AWWWW YSSSSSSS

Damn straight it is. It is the perfect time to get on this. A lot of the development that the MMPT was hoping to spur is already happening on it's own. I believe the MMPT will rely heavily on the viability of leasing space above it. Well, it certainly seems viable now.

This is very exciting news to see. We are going to see something come from the state in regards to transit planning in the next session. It is very encouraging to see the state bringing this up on their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
There should be an Amtrak stop in Downtown Atlanta... one of the top 10 major cities of the United States. I mean, it's not that unreasonable a request. Especially if we ever get HSR and Amtrak ceases to suck.

And the MMPT represents a perfect opportunity to have a commuter rail line to Cumberland/Marietta/beyond.

Doraville should be like an edge-hub station, with a transfer between heavy rail and commuter rail and Amtrak and whatever. But not instead of a larger "Grand Central" main hub Downtown.
Quote:
Only once the Assembly is built and becomes an employment hub. Lenox or Lindbergh should have a commuter rail stop as well. The only issue with Lindbergh is the distance from the RR to HRT station.
Quote:
I would imagine that the entertainment district and the MMPT could easily work together. As I understand it, this is supposed to be a private/public partnership type deal. I bet the folks behind the entertainment district wouldn't mind the city's central terminal right below their project. I think there would be some sort of above ground station building, but it wouldn't cover the entirety of the MMPT.

The name of the entertainment district developer is slipping my mind, but they are behind some pretty impressive projects. Things seem like the could be lining up for something very good
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Doraville would make a good stopgap station. It would allow Amtrak to store equipment far easier than at the Brookhaven station, and there would be already-built, direct access to MARTA heavy rail.

In the future, it should be one of many (roughly) Perimeter regional stations, serving local commuter, regional commuter, intercity, and interstate rail as well as many forms of local transit.

I agree that it should not be the station, though. We should have a true central station conglomerating as many core transit systems as possible.

I wish more who claim to be fiscally responsible would see the light as Beach has. That is, that transit is an important part of any truly successful metropolis, and that a successful metropolis is fantastic for state finances.

As others said, they're not mutually exclusive. Remember that the MMPT plans had a large mall, full of shops and restaurants, on the ground floor, as well as plenty of public space for gatherings and such. It also included a number of large towers, all of which could include any number of entertainment and social venues in them.

If anything, an MMPT makes any downtown entertainment area more successful as it allows many more people many more options to get to and from that area.

Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta:
Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Blah blah blah

Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yeah, I think we're all aware of that now-ancient article. It is great, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta