Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:14 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"We're in great financial position. We've got a lot of growth coming," Sen. Brandon Beach, R-Alpharetta, told reporters following a meeting of his committee to talk about a project that has been on the back burner for years. "If we have the political will and the political courage, we can work with our partners and come up with a plan that works for everybody."

Most of Thursday's discussion focused on the feasibility of building a terminal for passenger trains and buses on a 119-acre site in downtown Atlanta known as the "Gulch."
Executives with the architectural firm Cooper Carry showed a short video they put together in 2013 for the Georgia Department of Transportation envisioning the $1.2 billion MMPT as the focal point of a broader mixed-use development featuring hotels, offices, shops, entertainment space, apartments or condominiums and a park.
"Developing [the Gulch] would be a huge change in how downtown is viewed," said Bill Halter, Cooper Carry's principal.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...passenger.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times

Old 08-03-2017, 01:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Quote:
Another issue that has long surrounded the MMPT project is how to accommodate both additional passenger rail service and existing freight rail lines in crowded downtown Atlanta.

Sen. Steve Gooch, R-Dahlonega, suggested the committee consider building the MMPT in the Doraville area instead.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
AWWWW YSSSSSSS

Quote:
The timing is right for bringing back a proposal to build a multi-modal passenger terminal (MMPT) in metro Atlanta, the chairman of the Georgia Senate's Transportation Committee said Thursday.
Damn straight it is. It is the perfect time to get on this. A lot of the development that the MMPT was hoping to spur is already happening on it's own. I believe the MMPT will rely heavily on the viability of leasing space above it. Well, it certainly seems viable now.

This is very exciting news to see. We are going to see something come from the state in regards to transit planning in the next session. It is very encouraging to see the state bringing this up on their own.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
I'll never understand why senators in counties with no mass transit are allowed on this board. Anyone named Gooch needs to ****!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Oh, have to add this tasty little quote from the bottom of the $140 article -

Quote:
Beach said the committee will continue discussing the possibilities because a multi-modal passenger terminal is needed for Atlanta to become a world-class city. He said a recent trip to Denver's Union Station showed what a catalyst for development such terminals can become.

"For us not to have a multi-modal passenger terminal is tragic," Beach said. "We need to have a Union Station-type facility."
Whoa. That's a Georgia Republican talking

Old 08-03-2017, 01:57 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
There should be an Amtrak stop in Downtown Atlanta... one of the top 10 major cities of the United States. I mean, it's not that unreasonable a request. Especially if we ever get HSR and Amtrak ceases to suck.

And the MMPT represents a perfect opportunity to have a commuter rail line to Cumberland/Marietta/beyond.

Doraville should be like an edge-hub station, with a transfer between heavy rail and commuter rail and Amtrak and whatever. But not instead of a larger "Grand Central" main hub Downtown.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
There should be an Amtrak stop in Downtown Atlanta... one of the top 10 major cities of the United States. I mean, it's not that unreasonable a request. Especially if we ever get HSR and Amtrak ceases to suck.

And the MMPT represents a perfect opportunity to have a commuter rail line to Cumberland/Marietta/beyond.

Doraville should be like an edge-hub station, with a transfer between heavy rail and commuter rail and Amtrak and whatever. But not instead of a larger "Grand Central" main hub Downtown.
Only once the Assembly is built and becomes an employment hub. Lenox or Lindbergh should have a commuter rail stop as well. The only issue with Lindbergh is the distance from the RR to HRT station.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:15 PM

821 posts, read 726,304 times
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want this. I rather have an entertainment district. I don't plan on taking a train anywhere. I rather fly or drive. Soon you'll be able just to sit in your car and it will drive you to your destination.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want this. I rather have an entertainment district. I don't plan on taking a train anywhere. I rather fly or drive.
You do realize the two proposals aren't mutually exclusive, right?

Quote:
Soon you'll be able just to sit in your car and it will drive you to your destination.
Yeah, in about 50 years (and transit will still be necessary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta