U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I have been contemplating on relocating from California, to Suwanee, GA. I am 30, a full time working professional, I am a Paralegal. My husband is 32, a class A/Commercial truck driver, we recently married and are newlyweds, no children, nor strings tying us down to California. Other than our family. We are simply looking for that perfect place to call home for the next few decades to come. Most importantly, we are looking to purchase a home in Suwanee, GA and eventually start a family. We only intend on having 1 child. I do Not plan on being a stay at home mother, which means a very good school system & good childcare is a make or brake for us. I have done quiet a bit of research and Suwanee seems to be promising and at the very top of my list to "Raise a family & Purchase a Home"?

Currently, my husband and I both combined bring home approx. 120K, per year. Our home budget purchase price would be in the neighborhood of $230K. My husband has an auto loan (21K) while I have a student loan (20K). Aside from this, we truly do not have any other debts pending or unpaid. We are looking to live a nice comfortable lifestyle, while being able to sustain our household and in the pay our (Child) care expenses without struggle. We are hopeful to be able to find suitable jobs in our professions, in GA.

All in all, our main motive for leaving CA is for a better quality of life at a lower cost. While being able to enjoy a slower lifestyle to raise our child in.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,006,068 times
Median family household income in Suwanee is about 89,000/yr, but keep in mind that Atlanta metro area salaries will be lower than salaries in California. I would budget on a ~10%-20% hit on your income if you move cross country.

Quality of life is a relative thing. Hard to comment without knowing what kind of lifestyle you are interested in.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM

12,948 posts, read 21,056,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceb562 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I have been contemplating on relocating from California, to Suwanee, GA. I am 30, a full time working professional, I am a Paralegal. My husband is 32, a class A/Commercial truck driver, we recently married and are newlyweds, no children, nor strings tying us down to California. Other than our family. We are simply looking for that perfect place to call home for the next few decades to come. Most importantly, we are looking to purchase a home in Suwanee, GA and eventually start a family. We only intend on having 1 child. I do Not plan on being a stay at home mother, which means a very good school system & good childcare is a make or brake for us. I have done quiet a bit of research and Suwanee seems to be promising and at the very top of my list to "Raise a family & Purchase a Home"?

Currently, my husband and I both combined bring home approx. 120K, per year. Our home budget purchase price would be in the neighborhood of $230K. My husband has an auto loan (21K) while I have a student loan (20K). Aside from this, we truly do not have any other debts pending or unpaid. We are looking to live a nice comfortable lifestyle, while being able to sustain our household and in the pay our (Child) care expenses without struggle. We are hopeful to be able to find suitable jobs in our professions, in GA.

All in all, our main motive for leaving CA is for a better quality of life at a lower cost. While being able to enjoy a slower lifestyle to raise our child in.

I have to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXU15G-QOgI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Friday

Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM

5,959 posts, read 2,935,886 times
Suwanee's a quieter lifestyle than closer in-suburbs. It's comfortable, pleasant, all the amenities, and a nice town center area.

Personally I wouldn't want to live quite that far out from the city, but if that's not a priority for you, then not a problem.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceb562 View Post
Hello,

Suwanee is a very nice area with very good schools, lots of amenities and a very high quality of life.

Though, instead of becoming fixated on moving to one particular city/town/suburb in the Atlanta metro area, your wisest move might would likely be to first look for employment, find out where your jobs will be located and search accordingly for a place to live that will be geographically convenient to where you both will be commuting to and from for work each day on Atlanta's often seriously-limited transportation network.

Make no mistake, Suwanee is an excellent place to begin your search for housing, but high-quality cities, towns and neighborhoods are available all over the Atlanta metro area.

At this point it likely might would probably be best if you secured employment, knew where at least one of your (preferably both of you) will be commuting to and from for work each day and looked in areas that will be within reasonably close/short commutes of your jobs.

In addition to the challenges of Atlanta's undersized transportation network (traffic in Atlanta is not necessarily as bad as it is in Southern California, but Atlanta's limited road and transit networks can make getting around a significant challenge at times), another word of caution should be issued about Atlanta's highly-competitive current real estate market.

Like many other large major metropolitan areas, Atlanta is currently experiencing a highly-competitive (HOT) real estate market, particularly in areas of good schools that are close to lots of amenities and large clusters of good-paying jobs. You definitely can and will find good-quality homes in your price range in a good area, but be warned that those types of homes often are moving fast in this current real estate market.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:06 PM

32 posts, read 12,687 times
I echo what Born2Roll said above so need to repeat it. I live in Suwanee -- the Forsyth county side. The city hall is on the Gwinnett county side. So Suwanee has one zip code and spans 2 counties (on each side of the Chattahoochee river). We love it here in Suwanee. The schools here are awesome (rankings based only on test scores -
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...k.aspx?level=3) as is the lifestyle (but that is my preference).

My sister lives on the other side of the river in Gwinnett. She lives in a wonderful town called Sugar Hill right next to Suwanee. The schools there are excellent also.

Here is an example of a home on Zillow in Sugar Hill:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...36_rect/13_zm/

There are many "pros" to living in metro Atlanta, but I can summarize in one word a big "con" on any checklist you might have -- TRAFFIC! Traffic can be pretty bad -- anyone who lives here can attest to that. If you find work downtown and work standard business hours, you might not like the commute!

I have other posts about both of these cities if you wanted to get more info. I can tell you that it is a GREAT place to raise a family. Good luck on your decision!

Kelly

Old 08-04-2017, 06:06 PM

21,044 posts, read 33,049,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Suwanee is a very nice area with very good schools, lots of amenities and a very high quality of life.

Though, instead of becoming fixated on moving to one particular city/town/suburb in the Atlanta metro area, your wisest move might would likely be to first look for employment, find out where your jobs will be located and search accordingly for a place to live that will be geographically convenient to where you both will be commuting to and from for work each day on Atlanta's often seriously-limited transportation network.

Make no mistake, Suwanee is an excellent place to begin your search for housing, but high-quality cities, towns and neighborhoods are available all over the Atlanta metro area.

At this point it likely might would probably be best if you secured employment, knew where at least one of your (preferably both of you) will be commuting to and from for work each day and looked in areas that will be within reasonably close/short commutes of your jobs.

In addition to the challenges of Atlanta's undersized transportation network (traffic in Atlanta is not necessarily as bad as it is in Southern California, but Atlanta's limited road and transit networks can make getting around a significant challenge at times), another word of caution should be issued about Atlanta's highly-competitive current real estate market.

Like many other large major metropolitan areas, Atlanta is currently experiencing a highly-competitive (HOT) real estate market, particularly in areas of good schools that are close to lots of amenities and large clusters of good-paying jobs. You definitely can and will find good-quality homes in your price range in a good area, but be warned that those types of homes often are moving fast in this current real estate market.
B2R, as usual, is the Voice of Reason here, and I agree that you shouldn't put the cart before the horse if you don't already have a place of employment. It would be like focusing on Tarzana or Irvine before you had a clear idea of where you knew where you would land in Los Angeles.
You're entering the picture with a good set of skills and potential income for this metro, and once you have an idea where your employment will land you you'll have a multitude of options, believe me.
Suwanee, BTW, is a lovely community, but as a childless couple might be a liiitle too family-oriented for you. Stepford with a southern accent.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,242,535 times
My reply didn't make it earlier (internet on my end) but what I was going to say was that inventory is very light at that price point in that area. My parents are basically looking at that same price in that area and anything on the market is snatched up QUICK. My mom looked at a house the DAY it went on the market and made an offer but there was already another offer on it from earlier in the day! You can find townhomes relatively easily. And there's a few fixer uppers though some are very stingy (one would NOT even consider offers below full asking price - yea it's been on the market for a few months).

You may have better luck waiting til after school starts or looking a tad further out (Sugar Hill) BUT as others have said, lining up a job or renting first is a much better option anyway. You don't want to commute to Cobb or downtown from Suwanee. Even north Fulton can be rough at peak times.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:51 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,577,833 times
if you're looking for a slower lifestyle, i wouldn't recommend suwanee necessarily. it's slower than alpharetta, i mean, but there are still a lot of fast-paced individuals, social climbers, whatnot, it's not exactly a "chilled out" place to live. if proximity to atlanta is important i would recommend going a little bit further south and closer in if you want that kind of slower-paced lifestyle, maybe intown college park or east point. if it's not important, maybe go a little bit further north to gainesville, or out to lilburn.

basically what you see on a map, the perimeter and all of that, is not really reflective of where all the activity is in atlanta. think of it as an upside down triangle, with the bottom point being at downtown, and the upper points being at kennesaw on the northwest and suwanee on the northeast.

generally, inside that triangle you're going to have more traffic, higher real estate prices, generally more of a fast-paced lifestyle and a lot of people who aren't from around here. the further away you are from that triangle, the slower-paced it gets.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:45 PM

12,948 posts, read 21,056,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
basically what you see on a map, the perimeter and all of that, is not really reflective of where all the activity is in atlanta. think of it as an upside down triangle, with the bottom point being at downtown, and the upper points being at kennesaw on the northwest and suwanee on the northeast.

generally, inside that triangle you're going to have more traffic, higher real estate prices, generally more of a fast-paced lifestyle and a lot of people who aren't from around here. the further away you are from that triangle, the slower-paced it gets.

I like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta