U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,637,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
Not sure if work is close to a train station but I was told I will have to take a bus after getting off the train.
Someone mentioned Fayettevile area to us too. But mapquest said it will take 1hr to get from there to downtown.
Can you be a little more specific about where in south Atlanta? Maybe some major cross streets? Different folks have different ideas about what is south Atlanta is, so that might help.
Car/shuttle to train to bus is probably going to take much longer than an hour for the type of homes you are thinking about renting in Buford or Kennesaw. Really, Fayette County to South Atlanta by car seems a lot more straightforward than what you are looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,891,298 times
More details needed, but sounding like the south side is going to be a better option for you. You can probably even make intown southside work out given your budget. If schools are a top priority look in the Jackson HS district.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,229,421 times
Quote:
Thanks. Where does the express bus leave from? If it cruises on the HOV lane that means short commute time to work. I'm ok with living far out if there is reliable transport. I just need to go to work. But the school is the biggest deal on a tight budget.
From Buford you can take the Gwinnett County Transit 101 bus from the park and ride lot at I-985 and GA Rte 20. Goes directly downtown to a number of stops as well as the Civic Center Marta station. My wife takes it all the time and has had good experiences.

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/stati...Web_080117.pdf

Old 08-05-2017, 05:34 AM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
I am in a somewhat similar situation to yours. I briefly looked at Tucker, and just last week pretended to commute to Tucker. I also sought out the advice of some members on here that lived in Tucker.

I quickly changed my mind about living in Tucker after experiencing the commute - if you are going to drive. I like the poster above me mentioning his wife's experience with her commute. Tucker itself was a nice little town.

Seriously consider living close to work. There are plenty of great people on this board that can help you with your search. Is homeschooling an option?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:38 AM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
Mod Note - thanks for the mention about the stickies. They are a bit outdated in some ways and revisions are needed. We have had a few requests/posts/new members questions get lost in them. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Thanks. Where does the express bus leave from? If it cruises on the HOV lane that means short commute time to work. I'm ok with living far out if there is reliable transport. I just need to go to work. But the school is the biggest deal on a tight budget.
Xpress bus routes
Routes | Xpress

Old 08-05-2017, 06:19 AM

56 posts, read 78,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
More details needed, but sounding like the south side is going to be a better option for you. You can probably even make intown southside work out given your budget. If schools are a top priority look in the Jackson HS district.
I might be in either of these offices located in camp creek Parkway or on McDonough Blvd.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am in a somewhat similar situation to yours. I briefly looked at Tucker, and just last week pretended to commute to Tucker. I also sought out the advice of some members on here that lived in Tucker.

I quickly changed my mind about living in Tucker after experiencing the commute - if you are going to drive. I like the poster above me mentioning his wife's experience with her commute. Tucker itself was a nice little town.

Seriously consider living close to work. There are plenty of great people on this board that can help you with your search. Is homeschooling an option?

You are right...this board has very helpful people with genuine suggestions. Glad we found this

We cannot home school. Had to get my oldest private tutor just because we couldn't help her with so much homework she was coming home with plus we had different techniques in compassion to those they are using now in the schools.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Xpress bus routes
Routes | Xpress
Thanks I looked it up

Old 08-05-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
From Buford you can take the Gwinnett County Transit 101 bus from the park and ride lot at I-985 and GA Rte 20. Goes directly downtown to a number of stops as well as the Civic Center Marta station. My wife takes it all the time and has had good experiences.

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/stati...Web_080117.pdf
I will look at that also. I noticed from Buford the Gwinnett County transit also, and maybe take MARTA from Doraville.
Hoping the commute time will be at least 1hr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta