U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM

56 posts, read 78,543 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just got offered a job and will be relocating to Atlanta.
--job is in downtown Atlanta
--have 3 school age kids
--would rent long term not planning to buy a house anytime soon except we see a good foreclosure
--$1700 rent budget
--would not mind taking public transport to work but I need to know how reliable they are.

We want to live in a good school district because of our kids and looking at Buford, kennesaw and Tucker areas. I see Buford is way out there and not sure how early I have to get up and be at the bus stop to join bus at the closet MARTA station.
Kennesaw area is on our mind too but still unsure how reliable public transportation is. We are willing to live in the suburb as long as I can get to public bus or train to work In Downtown.
Any suggestions please.

I've looked through the stickies also and must say we have got good info there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,942,473 times
MARTA train or bus still does not go out to Cobb and Gwinnett counties unfortunately, but GRTA Xpress bus does.

Commuter Tools | Xpress

There are express commuter bus routes that serve both the Kennesaw and Buford areas, and the buses run to Downtown, and connect with MARTA subway stations in-town. You can check out the schedules and timetables, and where the park&ride lots are located.

Xpress is a very limited stop bus, that basically just cruises in the HOV lane on the freeway. Probably beats driving at least.

Tucker is in DeKalb County and so does have MARTA bus service, but not a train station- the nearest station is Doraville.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,652,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
Hello,
I just got offered a job and will be relocating to Atlanta.
--job is in downtown Atlanta
--have 3 school age kids
--would rent long term not planning to buy a house anytime soon except we see a good foreclosure
--$1700 rent budget
--would not mind taking public transport to work but I need to know how reliable they are.

We want to live in a good school district because of our kids and looking at Buford, kennesaw and Tucker areas. I see Buford is way out there and not sure how early I have to get up and be at the bus stop to join bus at the closet MARTA station.
Kennesaw area is on our mind too but still unsure how reliable public transportation is. We are willing to live in the suburb as long as I can get to public bus or train to work In Downtown.
Any suggestions please.

I've looked through the stickies also and must say we have got good info there as well.
How big of a place do you need? Does it have to be a house? Do you think your kids qualify for "gifted" programs. Where down town?

Last edited by jeoff; 08-04-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
MARTA train or bus still does not go out to Cobb and Gwinnett counties unfortunately, but GRTA Xpress bus does.

Commuter Tools | Xpress

There are express commuter bus routes that serve both the Kennesaw and Buford areas, and the buses run to Downtown, and connect with MARTA subway stations in-town. You can check out the schedules and timetables, and where the park&ride lots are located.

Xpress is a very limited stop bus, that basically just cruises in the HOV lane on the freeway. Probably beats driving at least.

Tucker is in DeKalb County and so does have MARTA bus service, but not a train station- the nearest station is Doraville.

Thanks. Where does the express bus leave from? If it cruises on the HOV lane that means short commute time to work. I'm ok with living far out if there is reliable transport. I just need to go to work. But the school is the biggest deal on a tight budget.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Kennesaw and Buford are probably too far out (way too far out for me). What grades are the kids in? How big of a place do you need? Does it have to be a house? Do you think your kids qualify for "gifted" programs. Where down town?
Our oldest is going to 8th grade and we have 2 toddlers. We definitely need a house. Yes My daughter is an AIG student. Job is in south Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:07 PM

7,717 posts, read 9,581,882 times
Quote:
If it cruises on the HOV lane that means short commute time to work. I'm ok with living far out if there is reliable transport.
Often.

Not always.

Sometimes the HOV lane is just as slow or slower than that regular lanes.

(Source: Myself. I drove a Nissan Leaf into town every day for two years where I could use the HOV and toll lanes. In the best case scenario, it shaved 10-15 minutes off the commute. Factor in time waiting for the bus, and it's really a wash, at best!)

You'd be much better off living in an area served by the train if you plan to rely on public transportation. But with your parameters, that's going to be quite the feat.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,942,473 times
Sadly the public transportation situation in Metro Atlanta is pretty horrible. And so is trying to drive very far in the morning and evening rush periods. And the areas that are affordable and have good schools are mostly pretty far out from the main job centers. So, you don't really have good options... I won't sugar coat it.

Check out that Xpress website for all the info, but I know the bus stops at Town Center Mall in Cobb, and at Mall of Georgia and Sugarloaf Mills malls in Gwinnett.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Often.

Not always.

Sometimes the HOV lane is just as slow or slower than that regular lanes.

(Source: Myself. I drove a Nissan Leaf into town every day for two years where I could use the HOV and toll lanes. In the best case scenario, it shaved 10-15 minutes off the commute. Factor in time waiting for the bus, and it's really a wash, at best!)

You'd be much better off living in an area served by the train if you plan to rely on public transportation. But with your parameters, that's going to be quite the feat.
Waoo...we didn't think this was going to be this difficult. We will look at areas that have train service then since that maybe the reliable public transportation.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Sadly the public transportation situation in Metro Atlanta is pretty horrible. And so is trying to drive very far in the morning and evening rush periods. And the areas that are affordable and have good schools are mostly pretty far out from the main job centers. So, you don't really have good options... I won't sugar coat it.

Check out that Xpress website for all the info, but I know the bus stops at Town Center Mall in Cobb, and at Mall of Georgia and Sugarloaf Mills malls in Gwinnett.
Yeah, just looking at the Xpress website now. Looks like 1hr commute to downtown from the areas I checked. This is really sad. Someone else suggested the train. So I'm assuming the commute times is less assuming it is very fast.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 PM

9,010 posts, read 16,213,216 times
Is the job in Downtown or South Atlanta?

Maybe give the Cross Streets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta