U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 4,530 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a townhouse in Atlanta that has walkability, good schools, and within a 30-minute drive to the airport. Can you help me?

By walkability - I can walk to coffee shops, restaurants, nice bars/beer gardens, and shopping. Bonus points if I can always walk to grocery stores. Major points for excellent sidewalks.

What zip codes would you look in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 1,939,070 times
Glenwood Park

Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM

23,729 posts, read 19,158,880 times
If it walkable, there's a good chance it'll be near a MARTA station, which offers direct access to the airport.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM

2,225 posts, read 2,031,578 times
What age kids? How much can you spend.
The school zones that are considered "good" would be all of Decatur City (most of 30030, I think)-- , Grady High Zone (parts of 30307,30306) with 3 of 5 of elementary schools highly regarded (SPARK, Lin, Morningside).
Also, North Atlanta High school zone--other folks can reccomend elementary schools in the area.
Parts of Druid Hills High and Lakeside High school zones might fit--but overall, those areas are more suburban.
There are other places you could consider that may be just as good, but you have to look deeper into the test scores to figure out what is going on (for example, when you compare students with similar demographics, Jackson High scores are higher than Grady's, but when all demographics are averaged together Grady has higher scores).

Decatur City is probably the only school zone listed that there would be little argument on the quality K-12. Our kids are in Lin-Inman-Grady--and I would classify Lin Elementary as very good, and the middle and high schools as being good enough. Also APS bureaucracy can be sort of difficult.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM

I prefer to drive or use Uber - rather than MARTA. Glenwood Park is in Fulton, yes? Anyone have any opinions on Vinings? Its a 22-mile drive from the airport versus the 10-mile drive from Glenwood, but I'm wondering if traffic is worse inside of ATL making that 10 miles a longer commute time?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
What age kids? How much can you spend.
The school zones that are considered "good" would be all of Decatur City (most of 30030, I think)-- , Grady High Zone (parts of 30307,30306) with 3 of 5 of elementary schools highly regarded (SPARK, Lin, Morningside).
Also, North Atlanta High school zone--other folks can reccomend elementary schools in the area.
Parts of Druid Hills High and Lakeside High school zones might fit--but overall, those areas are more suburban.
There are other places you could consider that may be just as good, but you have to look deeper into the test scores to figure out what is going on (for example, when you compare students with similar demographics, Jackson High scores are higher than Grady's, but when all demographics are averaged together Grady has higher scores).

Decatur City is probably the only school zone listed that there would be little argument on the quality K-12. Our kids are in Lin-Inman-Grady--and I would classify Lin Elementary as very good, and the middle and high schools as being good enough. Also APS bureaucracy can be sort of difficult.
Hi,

My max budget is $725,000. I'm not looking for more than 3,000 sqft. I'm familiar with Decatur but its a little too suburban for me. I also want to try something either inside the city or not on the East side.

I don't have any kids but if I do, having good schools would be preferable. It's also just good for re-sale value.

Thank you for your tips!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Any experience with Ponce City Market? How nice is it? Demographics? Is it JUST the market are or their other shops/boutiques/stores in that radius?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM

30,395 posts, read 28,565,320 times
Sounds like Brookhaven would be a good fit for you.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 8,285,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspringgal View Post
I prefer to drive or use Uber - rather than MARTA. Glenwood Park is in Fulton, yes? Anyone have any opinions on Vinings? Its a 22-mile drive from the airport versus the 10-mile drive from Glenwood, but I'm wondering if traffic is worse inside of ATL making that 10 miles a longer commute time?
285 @ 75 near Vinings has some of the worse traffic. And the walkable options are going to be limited there to mostly things that share a parking lot that you can walk across.

I lived near Glenwood Park and it is highly recommended. You also can find some good options around the Old Fourth Ward or Midtown you would love that would be in your price range.

Take a walk along the Beltline Eastside trail one day and see in any of the town homes along there that appeal to you.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM

2,225 posts, read 2,031,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like Brookhaven would be a good fit for you.
Is Brookhaven less suburban than Decatur?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or