Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,856,950 times

Advertisements

This is one of the best articles about Georgia's film and TV industry that I've ever read. Very thorough and accurate IMO. Balanced. Well sourced. Good read.

https://www.theringer.com/pop-cultur...dit-south-week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:34 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,017,531 times
I think it's extremely important for people to understand that Atlanta's media business is entirely dependent on that tax credit. I know a lot of people believe we have achieved some sort of critical mass with all the infrastructure were productions would continue here even without the credit. I believe that without it, Pinewood would become abandoned in a New York minute.

SOURCE: I've seen it happen before. Both Universal Studios Florida and Disney Studios were designed, built, and functioned as working studios (remember when Nickelodeon shot everything in Orlando?) Neither one is used for any production anymore.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is one of the best articles about Georgia's film and TV industry that I've ever read. Very thorough and accurate IMO. Balanced. Well sourced. Good read.

Thank you, Newsboy; it was a good read, and informative...especially for those on here that continue to insist that Georgia has nothing to offer the film industry except the tax credit.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Loved the article, learned a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,349,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think it's extremely important for people to understand that Atlanta's media business is entirely dependent on that tax credit. I know a lot of people believe we have achieved some sort of critical mass with all the infrastructure were productions would continue here even without the credit. I believe that without it, Pinewood would become abandoned in a New York minute.

SOURCE: I've seen it happen before. Both Universal Studios Florida and Disney Studios were designed, built, and functioned as working studios (remember when Nickelodeon shot everything in Orlando?) Neither one is used for any production anymore.

I'm not sure if Atlanta would be abandoned completely but I do agree that the industry does benefit substantially from that tax credit. I would like to see what would happen if some of that credit was taken away. Reason for this is I want to see how dependent the industry is on the credit. Would there be any motivation for them to stay if it gets taken away completely.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 6,076,263 times
Quote:

Atlanta was a media hub before the tax credit. Atlanta had the turner networks, Tyler perry studios, and BET shooting in Atlanta before the tax credits.

The tax credit balloon a already media hub to the forefront. It booth not a either or.

Also Orlando was never a huge media hub, that happen in the 90s related to kids shows and the theme parks.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Would there be any motivation for them to stay if it gets taken away completely.
No.

Quote:
Atlanta was a media hub before the tax credit.
It was? Tell that to all the post-production facilities that shuttered when Turner built Turner Studios. Turner pretty much ran the entire production in the city for years. Maybe Tyler Perry helped diversify a bit (though, I don't think he uses any resources outside his own compound).

Orlando had the power of Disney and Universal behind it. If they couldn't make that work, I really doubt we could without the massive gift from the state.

But I'd love to be proven wrong....take away the tax credit and see what happens. If you dare.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:56 AM

4,996 posts, read 5,944,217 times
I think that you can look at relocation patterns to see how permanent the film industry is. Are actors, writers, directors, producers moving to Atlanta? Or do they fly in for a few months and fly back out? If they're moving there, then they're there to stay. If not then it's very transient.

The people that I know in the industry don't want to move to Atlanta. Even the ones that spend a lot of time there for filming. But that could be because the ones that do want to move already left.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
Quote:
While I think the tax credit is the prime motivator for being here, I'm not sure the abandonment would be that quick. If the tax credit is the only reason, then riddle me this: the OP's article stated that Savannah offers an additional 10% tax credit. Why are productions not flocking to Savannah?

Old 08-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Why are productions not flocking to Savannah?
I can't pretend to be able to answer that question definitively.

But if I was guessing, I would assume that because Savannah lacks the infrastructure to support large projects in terms of electricians, lighting, etc.

I would also imagine it's a much larger pain to get to Savannah from LA with no nonstop flights.

Maybe its landscapes are also too specific to adequately pass for many generic settings.

I imagine an extra 10% savings isn't enough to justify a move the way Georgia's massive tax credit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta