Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 32,666 times

Advertisements

I am considering doing a MSW Social Work Degree. However, I am increasingly drawn to Counseling because the courses sound interesting, potential of private practice etc. Therefore, I am considering whether or not I should apply to do a Community Counseling degree because of this interest. Can anyone enlighten me about the pros and cons of these degrees? Also what should I take into account in making my decision. I did consider school counseling but I hear it is quite limiting with career prospects. Will it make sense to do a social work and community counseling degree. I think I want to work with young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
You could contact the College of Education/Counseling department at Georgia State University.

Here>>>
- CPS Home

Or similar departments at other colleges/universities in the Atlanta area.
(Alum of GSU myself--so I am more familiar with what is available there.)

The 'I think I want to work with young people' comment makes me think you need to speak with those directly involved in your areas of interest.
Do so immediately--wherever you are.

That is my best advice.

It is my opinion that the market for counseling/private practice is very competitive in Atlanta. I would want to know as much about every aspect of running a business like this before I even considered obtaining the degree.

bhs

Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 19,661 times
We are on the same page! I'm currently in my 1st quarter at DePaul in Chicago for counseling and I LOVE my courses. However, some research shows me that Social Work is a little more recognized nationally and you can really get your hands dirty and help children in the school setting vs. school counselors. But the courses in all the graduate programs seem to not interest me. I'm torn. Do I stay in my counseling program or do I switch to Social Work. Hmmmm...

Have you gotten any insight even though no one has answered this post?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
I would approach the dilemma this way - what would you like to do when you complete your studies? I know that in Atlanta (at least use to be) that Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW's) could have a private practice in counseling and were reimbursed by insurance companies in Georgia. My understanding is that you must complete your MSW and then have supervision for so many years in order to get your LCSW.

Here is the website for the National Association of Social Workers NASW Georgia Chapter

I know that my boss in college held her MSW and she was over a non-profit social services organization. I think that having a MSW would open more job opportunities to you rather than a counseling degree (unless you were to become a PhD Psychotherapist)

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,742 times
Hi, I am a social worker. I prefer sw because of its diversity. You can do private practice w/ LCSW and the education provides you with information that helps you better prepare for various work opportunities in the social service field. Also, more agencies tend to recognize the LCSW more, than the LPC, not sure why. SW has great political clout with NSAW. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: