Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Western Europe has more cars per capita than America. The idea that Europeans are all are culture people using mass transit is a lie.
Yeah but they're driving this: https://res.cloudinary.com/carsguide...wo-%284%29.jpg

And we're driving this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/53...e647d12623.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
There is no reason to besmirch Bigfoot in a debate over urbanism.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
???? That sounds terrible, I would hate to live in Oslo. I really don't get you people with this "screw cars" attitude. Many people still prefer driving.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
We are just starting to grasp roundabouts. We are probably 100-150 yrs away from anything that makes sense.
Man you guys like roundabouts to??? Yeah I would if people actually knew how to use them.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Spending a lot of time everyday in the Buckhead Village area lately, I think the area is a good example of what most of the rest of the city should strive for. Cars flow around efficiently, but it is also not that difficult or dangerous to walk around. I've crossed Peachtree Rd tons of times, and while it feels slightly less friendly than Downtown or Midtown, it's a lot better than trying to cross the parkways that are featured in OTP suburbs. I worked in Alpharetta before this, and it was generally not pedestrian friendly.

I say, let Atlanta proper be a city where you may need to drive in and park, but you don't need or want to get in your car again until you leave the city for the day. In order to achieve that, the pedestrian experience and the transit coverage would both need to be greatly improved.

And then eventually, there would be commuter rail options so that people coming into the city from wherever around the region, don't need a car at all.
This sounds like a more reasonable happy medium. Creating a more pedestrian friendly city shouldn't mean making it impossible to drive in.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Leveling whole city blocks for surface and deck parking, five-lane wide streets, one-way pairing streets to make them de facto freeway on-ramps, etc.
And these are problems because?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:40 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
And these are problems because?
Kills people, makes the city a less attractive place to live / work / visit, cause more traffic... I could go on, but really not-killing-people should be enough.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Relevant to this thread (see if you can notice the shots of Atlanta traffic during the what-not-to-do narration):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4PW66_g6XA

Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The market should be allowed to build in the floodway and put residents in harms way?
Apparently, the sarcasm and my attempt at imitating another forum member were lost. *Sigh*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Man you guys like roundabouts to??? Yeah I would if people actually knew how to use them.
I'm a fan of roundabouts. I know some people hate them and would rather sit at a traffic light, but I'd much rather see more roundabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Relevant to this thread (see if you can notice the shots of Atlanta traffic during the what-not-to-do narration):
I actually agree with a lot of what he talked about in this video. And he didn't use a bunch of urbanist buzzwords, which really helped it sound legitimate.

My thoughts:
- Yes on ramp meters during heavy traffic times. The one at the Linden Avenue/Williams merge on the connector northbound (merges under North Ave) is almost never active, and it causes HUGE issues at rush hour. In fact, a lot of the slowdown for the connector northbound during rush hour is related to that one entrance. Tons of cars use that point of entry, then try to zip across three lanes to go to I-85N.

- Yes to roundabouts. I'm a fan. Anything that can keep me moving instead of sitting at a completely empty intersection for two minutes while the signal runs through its full turn lane program is good with me.

- Undecided on diverging diamond interchanges. I used to hate them and think they were the stupidest thing ever conceived by mankind. But, I think there must be some different designs for them. The one at Jimmy Carter/85 is AWFUL. It takes so long to get through it, and you often cannot make a left onto Jimmy Carter from 85 north because the signal program causes the cars on Jimmy Carter to stop right at the point where cars turning left would enter. It can take multiple signals to get even ten cars through. But, the one at Windy Hill/75 so far has been great. There's either a different design, or a capacity at which diverging diamonds fail.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Roundabouts really aren't that hard to figure out. I'm amazed if Atlanta people can handle 16 lane freeways but can't handle a roundabout. Even I'm used to it and theyre practically non existent in my area. It's nothing but yields and right turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta