Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. In my opinion, the cities with the best shot are:

Atlanta, Chicago, and DFW

Outside shot are:

Austin, Boston, and Denver

Long shot are:

Houston, DC, Philly
I'd throw Baltimore in to the long shots. DC without the high costs.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:01 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'd throw Baltimore in to the long shots. DC without the high costs.
Doesn't Baltimore have a big crime problem? That could take them out of the running.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Doesn't Baltimore have a big crime problem? That could take them out of the running.
Fair point but other cities like Chicago, Atlanta, and DC also have crime issues. Furthermore, an eco-devo project of this magnitude would go a long way towards helping reduce crime issues in and of itself.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:34 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Fair point but other cities like Chicago, Atlanta, and DC also have crime issues. Furthermore, an eco-devo project of this magnitude would go a long way towards helping reduce crime issues in and of itself.
Crime in Baltimore is quite a bit higher than in Atlanta, especially violent crime. I've been to Baltimore a few times, and remember only thing about it: having to literally run from bums. They literally follow you down the street begging and will come running from a block away. Not the best picture.

I don't think Amazon is interested in fixing up a city. They want a city that is ready. But, your point is valid.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Crime in Baltimore is quite a bit higher than in Atlanta, especially violent crime. I've been to Baltimore a few times, and remember only thing about it: having to literally run from bums. They literally follow you down the street begging and will come running from a block away. Not the best picture.
Not discounting your experiences, but I've been visting Baltimore regularly since I moved to the DC area nearly two years ago and that's never happened to me. But if you want to talk panhandling in particular, that's just something that comes with the territory in a big city but I will say Baltimore seems to have a lot for a city its size, especially at intersections/stop lights.

Quote:
I don't think Amazon is interested in fixing up a city. They want a city that is ready. But, your point is valid.
No one city really meets 100% of the criteria when you look at the requirements in depth. Atlanta has been cited as a top contender several times but the site most likely to be chosen for HQ2 if Atlanta is fortunate enough to land it, the Gulch, would certainly entail Amazon "fixing up a city," or at least that part of downtown.

If Amazon were to choose a city like Baltimore, you'd see the market respond almost immediately. I can imagine crime would see a significant reduction before the ribbon was even cut on phase 1 of the development.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not discounting your experiences, but I've been visting Baltimore regularly since I moved to the DC area nearly two years ago and that's never happened to me. But if you want to talk panhandling in particular, that's just something that comes with the territory in a big city.
I mena, this was a long time ago...at least 15 years.

Quote:
No one city really meets 100% of the criteria when you look at the requirements in depth. Atlanta has been cited as a top contender several times but the site most likely to be chosen for HQ2 if Atlanta is fortunate enough to land it, the Gulch, would certainly entail Amazon "fixing up a city," or at least that part of downtown.

If Amazon were to choose a city like Baltimore, you'd see the market respond almost immediately. I can imagine crime would see a significant reduction before the ribbon was even cut on phase 1 of the development.
Of course no city meets 100%. I just don't see Baltimore as a front-runner to this at all. Amazon locating in the Gulch would be simply developing that set of blocks, not trying to turn a city around.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
bu2

Quote:

As does Chicago.

Each city has pluses and minuses. With regard to getting talent, the Northeast is the best place to be for their second HQ. But then there are some minuses with going up there.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:09 PM
bu2

Sizing up Chicago for Amazon - Chicago Tribune

Speaking of Chicago-an evaluation by the local paper of their chances.

"...Expect Amazon to look closely at Atlanta and Dallas because Georgia and Texas are considered two of the best states for doing business. Forbes ranks them in the top 10. Illinois is stuck at No. 37...."

Old 12-24-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I mena, this was a long time ago...at least 15 years.

Of course no city meets 100%. I just don't see Baltimore as a front-runner to this at all. Amazon locating in the Gulch would be simply developing that set of blocks, not trying to turn a city around.
I don't think Baltimore is a front-runner but I think it is definitely a contender. Its negatives are well-known but it also has several positives, not the least of which is offering access to the huge, well-educated talent pool of the larger DC/Baltimore region with lower costs of doing business.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of stuff like The Wire, not homeless people begging for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta