U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM

285 posts, read 162,368 times

Advertisements

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...ng-austin/amp/

A bit tongue in cheek, but interesting nontheless

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM

509 posts, read 248,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...ng-austin/amp/

A bit tongue in cheek, but interesting nontheless
I think Atlanta gets Amazon cause it starts with A and the second letter in Atlanta is closer to A than Austinís. Local bias paper.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 5,778,616 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate that that campaign has targeted Atlanta, which has very robust protections for members of the LBGTQ community and is one of the gayest cities in the country. I hope Amazon looks past Georgia politics as a whole to see that Atlanta is doing what it can in lieu of the state.
Cities are part of states. This literally comes with the territory. City laws don't mean or impact nearly as much as state laws do.

State residents clearly have done enough to stop the regressive legislature.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM

294 posts, read 97,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
As reported in today's edition of USA Today, here is an interesting very recent development in the Amazon 2nd HQ location sweepstakes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...es/1082126001/
This doesnít look good for Atlanta. Maybe our loss will encourage us to do better.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:13 PM

27,973 posts, read 25,050,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
As reported in today's edition of USA Today, here is an interesting very recent development in the Amazon 2nd HQ location sweepstakes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...es/1082126001/
I'm pretty sure I know who most people in the comments section voted for.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,523,820 times
The article states that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh get a pass because the cities have protection despite Pennsylvania not having them. If they get one, why don't we?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 PM

5,008 posts, read 3,512,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The article states that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh get a pass because the cities have protection despite Pennsylvania not having them. If they get one, why don't we?
Selective "enforcement" by the protesters?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM

253 posts, read 90,131 times
Well. CoA has an ordinance, right? Thus litigating and protections would be enforceable in the city proper.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:15 PM

147 posts, read 240,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I clicked through and looked at Seattle's data, and there was something interesting in regards to skills that are abundant or scarce in Seattle. Seattle has plenty of tech workers but business skills like accounting, HR, logistics, etc are scarce.

That scarcity has to be part of Amazon's new HQ plan, and that benefits ATL.
We finally made it to 200 pages on this thread! And we're probably not even halfway to a decision being announced.

As much as we've dissected every square mile of the country for suitability for HQ2, I like the assessment above that takes a closer look at the workforce they need. It would be interesting to see the top schools, companies and cities Amazon recruits from since there's no way the majority of their workforce is homegrown.

If most people leaving Atlanta are leaving for jobs in Seattle, then that's quite telling. I can only imagine the relocation/compensation packages Amazon's recruiters have to offer workers to lure them to the cold, rainy Pacific NW from the temperate, totally opposite corner of the country. Why not just plop an HQ in the middle of the third largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies and poach from those companies? I'm not sure about working for Amazon, but I'm sure interested in what it would do for raising salaries everywhere else in town.

On the school recruitment front, I saw an article in Financial Times where business schools view Amazon more as a home for MBAs than techies the way you think about Apple or Facebook, which may mean that tapping into the pipeline of talent in the region from UGA, Duke, Vanderbilt and Emory may be equally as important as talent from Ga. Tech.

Also, for diversity, Seattle and Atlanta would be polar opposites. I have black friends in Silicon Valley and Seattle, who have interviewed for jobs in Atlanta and are amazed to see offices and tech meetups where they wouldn't be the "one-and-only". There's also a robust Indian population here that overindexes in the tech sector.

Top 20 Schools Represented (Tech is #20): Best Schools To Get A Job At Amazon - Business Insider

Diversity numbers: Amazon

Amazon Now Hiring 1,000 MBAs A Year

Last edited by cparker73; 02-01-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM

5,426 posts, read 2,768,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Well. CoA has an ordinance, right? Thus litigating and protections would be enforceable in the city proper.
Yes, we have municipal laws that ensure sexuality is a protected class in business transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or