Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Let’s be realistic here. If it was all the same everyone would just live California or The upper east coast.

Prices of foods and things can vary but housing is typically the biggest cost to an individual and so that is typically what is referenced in cost of living with taxes being second. Yeah, you can live in the NYC metro paying the same for something you can get in ATL but chances are it won’t be the same quality (size, schools etc) or be much further from the urban center.
That was my question. Is it mainly housing. Seems the answer is yes?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM

1,057 posts, read 867,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
What exactly is cost of living? What specific item cost more in DC or NYC over Atlanta? I've lived all over and not sure how cost of living changes other than housing, and that's all dependent on where you choose to live within a city, i.e. one city may let you live in a nicer part of town for the same cost, but that doesn't increase or decrease COL.
Housing / rent and property tax. Property tax in suburban nyc, for example, can easily be triple or quadruple (and even more) what it is here. Of course there are also other taxes such as state and local taxes, car tags, etc that you have to factor. Housing and taxes will always be the two biggest expense items. College is also way more expensive in the NE.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 AM

651 posts, read 475,324 times
Quote:
Housing is the biggest factor, yes. Taxes is usually second.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
What exactly is cost of living? What specific item cost more in DC or NYC over Atlanta? I've lived all over and not sure how cost of living changes other than housing, and that's all dependent on where you choose to live within a city, i.e. one city may let you live in a nicer part of town for the same cost, but that doesn't increase or decrease COL.
Quote:
Housing is certainly a major part of the cost, but there are plenty of other things to consider. Going out to eat in San Francisco or NYC is considerably more expensive than it is in Atlanta. Gas is more expensive in a lot of areas. Taxes are higher. The cost of parking is far higher in NYC and Chicago and many others.

NerdWallet has a chart simply showing the price of a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in cities around the US. In Alaska and much of the northeast, a quarter pounder goes for well over $4. In many cities, one goes for the middle $2 and low $3 range. That's 50-75% higher cost. One would assume that the cost of most food tracks fairly similarly. That's a pretty staggering difference as well.

So, yeah...there are lots of costs to determine when figuring out cost of living, and the cost can vary dramatically.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,528 times
https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...-vs-washington

Using a 4.5% 30 year mortgage

Median home price (3BR/2BA)
Atlanta: $266,836 ($1.4k mortgage, 16% of $100k salary)
DC: $786,415 ($4k mortgage, 48% of $100k salary)

Obviously these are very generalized numbers...

Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Housing is certainly a major part of the cost, but there are plenty of other things to consider. Going out to eat in San Francisco or NYC is considerably more expensive than it is in Atlanta. Gas is more expensive in a lot of areas. Taxes are higher. The cost of parking is far higher in NYC and Chicago and many others.

NerdWallet has a chart simply showing the price of a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in cities around the US. In Alaska and much of the northeast, a quarter pounder goes for well over $4. In many cities, one goes for the middle $2 and low $3 range. That's 50-75% higher cost. One would assume that the cost of most food tracks fairly similarly. That's a pretty staggering difference as well.

So, yeah...there are lots of costs to determine when figuring out cost of living, and the cost can vary dramatically.
I have lived on the west coast and in NYC suburbs. I found my grocery bill similar if not cheaper than here. High end restaraunts cost more, but there were also more midrange and even cheap options. Parking and taxes, you are correct.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
I have lived on the west coast and in NYC suburbs. I found my grocery bill similar if not cheaper than here. High end restaraunts cost more, but there were also more midrange and even cheap options. Parking and taxes, you are correct.
I haven't lived in either, but I have spent plenty of time in both. My experience is the polar opposite of yours, and the data seems to support that. But, not worth arguing about.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
When is this whole stupid saga gonna be over? Just pick a dang city.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
When is this whole stupid saga gonna be over? Just pick a dang city.
When they've squeezed every last dollar they can out of the city they want to win.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
When they've squeezed every last dollar they can out of the city they want to win.
This... And when Amazon thinks that they have squeezed every last bit of self-promotion and increased profit that they can out of this apparent competition for their second headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta