Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times

Advertisements

More strikes against Atlanta

Adoption agencies could reject same-sex couples under Georgia bill | WSB-TV

Quote:
A proposal that would allow religious adoption agencies in Georgia to refuse to work with same-sex couples has passed the Senate Judiciary Committee.
The contentious "religious liberties" bill passed the committee Tuesday by a vote of 5-2 and could soon face a vote before the full Georgia Senate.
Also a major hint that Amazon is leaning towards the DC area.

Amazon drops HQ2 hint about Arlington, Virginia - Business Insider
Quote:
A local news site recently saw an unusual spike in attention to one of its articles. The article was titled "County Wins Top Environmental Award from U.S. Green Building Council," and goes on to explain how Arlington County was the first in the country to be selected for an environmental award.

That story recently saw a traffic spike of about 6,000 pageviews, nearly all being referred from what the site is identifying as an internal Amazon.com page.

Amazon has recently ramped up its lobbying efforts in DC. That's not to mention the fact that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos already has an enormous house there, fit for holding parties and receptions of all kind. He splits his time between running Amazon and The Washington Post

Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I could see Arlington, though it doesn't have the cool factor that the ATL does.

If we don't get Amazon it's going to be disappointing.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I could see Arlington, though it doesn't have the cool factor that the ATL does.
Arlington is simply DC across the Potomac and actually used to be a part of the District, and there's no way you're going to argue that DC doesn't have a similar "cool factor" as Atlanta. But even on its own, I think you may be selling Arlington short: https://www.arlnow.com/2017/05/15/ar...r-millennials/
https://www.arlnow.com/2016/03/18/ar...n-the-country/

Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Arlington is simply DC across the Potomac and actually used to be a part of the District, and there's no way you're going to argue that DC doesn't have a similar "cool factor" as Atlanta. But even on its own, I think you may be selling Arlington short: https://www.arlnow.com/2017/05/15/ar...r-millennials/
https://www.arlnow.com/2016/03/18/ar...n-the-country/

I think ATL is way cooler than DC at least based on what I and many others consider “cool”.

If your defining definition of “cool” is purely based on urbanity or free museums then sure DC wins out, but as far as the people, arts, culture, and just attitude ATL is cooler.

Most people in DC have this stuffy “casual Friday button up at the bar” attitude and no one seemed to have any sort of soul.

Just a city full of your stereotypical professionals I guess.

That’s cool and I am a professional but it’s rare to meet someone there who maybe has piercings or wearing urban street wear(outside a gogo show) or band shirts or something showing a artsy or unique side.

There isn’t anything like Little Five Points or East Atlanta Village there and having a culture for that is important for “cool” to me.

Maybe those people decided to move to Baltimore or NYC or out west or something away from DC.

I don’t blame them.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I think ATL is way cooler than DC at least based on what I and many others consider “cool”.

If your defining definition of “cool” is purely based on urbanity or free museums then sure DC wins out, but as far as the people, arts, culture, and just attitude ATL is cooler.

Most people in DC have this stuffy “casual Friday button up at the bar” attitude and no one seemed to have any sort of soul.

That’s cool and I am a professional but it’s rare to meet someone who maybe has piercings or wearing urban street wear(outside a gogo show) or something showing a artsy or unique side.

There isn’t anything like Little Five Points or East Atlanta Village there and having a culture for that is important for “cool” to me.
Yes, DC is a city that draws hyper ambitious professionals and bureaucrats to an outsized degree. If that's what someone likes, there's hardly anywhere better. Personally, I can't think of anything worse.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Yes, DC is a city that draws hyper ambitious professionals and bureaucrats to an outsized degree. If that's what someone likes, there's hardly anywhere better. Personally, I can't think of anything worse.
I totally agree. I love the built form of DC, but the people there absolutely ruin it for me. I used to have to go there for work, and I don't miss it at all.

Metro Baltimore is much more to my liking, big time.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times
Hmmm...probably just Curbed making mountains out of molehills.

- skbl17

Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post

That’s cool and I am a professional but it’s rare to meet someone there who maybe has piercings or wearing urban street wear(outside a gogo show) or band shirts or something showing a artsy or unique side.

Maybe those people decided to move to Baltimore or NYC or out west or something away from DC.

I don’t blame them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I totally agree. I love the built form of DC, but the people there absolutely ruin it for me. I used to have to go there for work, and I don't miss it at all.

Metro Baltimore is much more to my liking, big time.
Well I'm Black and my social circle is mostly Black so I think I have something of a different perspective on the matter.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times

I think it will be between, DC, Boston and Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times
Our State reps are doing a great job of sabotaging whatever chance Atlanta has to get this.

Georgia Senate Passes 'Religious Liberty' Adoption Bill

Gov. Deal vetoed the most recent "religious liberty" bill, but the fact that this type of legislation is coming up again could be the nail in the coffin of Atlanta's efforts to get HQ2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta