Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times

Advertisements

Here is some more data and analysis from the WaPo.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:26 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
That comparison is interesting, Brown_dog. If taken as accurate, ATL does not shine in any one particular aspect. Nor does it bring up the rear. Does Amazon want an area in which it will dominate, like it has come to in Seattle? Yes, even with MS there.

Or, is Amazon looking for a more well rounded community in which to grow?

Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 81,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i agree with this, however, i don't think the issues being discussed (re-legalizing discrimination, a private company choosing to cut ties with a lobbying organization) fall under "the morals and principles of the country". i am fine if amazon passes us up because if they move here, that means those of us who have called atlanta home for a very long time are going to be displaced by high-income people who don't have any particular affinity for, or attachment to this place.

i don't want atlanta to be another manhattan.

it doesn't matter if you're on the right or the left, you can see the problems— if you're a conservative, you hate the elitism, the nanny-state laws banning large sodas, salt, and a large number of personal freedoms being removed.

if you're a liberal, you hate the fact that the entire island has essentially become a playground for the super-rich, and has been whitewashed— for example chinatown, little italy, and now harlem are losing their identity and becoming disneyland versions of themselves.

and all in the name of more jobs, progress, whatever. but really think about it, if you take all the people out of atlanta and replace them with different people, is it still atlanta anymore? we're a city of six million. we need to start thinking about how to help the communities of people who already live here make their community into better versions of themselves, not replace all the people with rich people and claim it's "gotten better" when no one's income has really changed... you're just shuffling people around, that's not progress.
Well said.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Even if Amazon doesn't come, I think Atlanta will still be heading in that direction. People need to learn to adapt. Change is coming whether we're ready or not.
I think that's true that we are heading in that direction, but Amazon would push this into overdrive and possibly in a very unhealthy way.

From a selfish perspective, here's how I will feel about Amazon:
I own a house before they announce Atlanta: OH YEAH
I'm still renting when they announce Atlanta: oh no

Old 03-12-2018, 05:56 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think that's true that we are heading in that direction, but Amazon would push this into overdrive and possibly in a very unhealthy way.

From a selfish perspective, here's how I will feel about Amazon:
I own a house before they announce Atlanta: OH YEAH
I'm still renting when they announce Atlanta: oh no
I actually know people in Atlanta that are deferring the sale of their houses until after an announcement is made.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I actually know people in Atlanta that are deferring the sale of their houses until after an announcement is made.
Depending on the location and ability to hold off, I would.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
I love how people are trying to play Nostradamus and predict the winner and how it will change a city. Let me asked this: Who predicted the Roman Empire demise? How about Trump presidency? My point the scale of this project automatically mutes most people points. Atlanta is not Seattle or the other 19 cities. This could very well be the biggest blessing or curse to hit the city. I was in Charleston, and while the street presence and history would never be a thing Atlanta can match. I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool to develop all those little backstreets in Downtown. Amazon for sure would develop those backstreets and the plethora of so many parking lots downtown. No one simply can know the outcome based on formal models. Only history will tell, as human behavior and factors outside of every human control are unpredictable. This is unprecedented!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to buy a house right before, then sell my current one right after. But, that's difficult to do!

Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM

651 posts, read 476,007 times
Quote:
They wasting their time lol. Cagle blew it.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM

198 posts, read 148,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Yeah but how often does that realistically happen? Ice storms can cripple Atlanta. Regardless employees can work remotely if needed.

As much as I personally don’t like Boston, it really does meet or exceed all of Amazon's criteria (except affordability).
The point is about bad timing similar to if they came to ATL during the ice storm. They don't happen often it's bad if they happen to come at the "wrong" time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta