Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Well, other cities are growing as well and our goal should not be to fall behind simply because we are worried about traffic or costs. When a city stops growing and attracting big names, that's when it begins to fail.

Many of our problems could be solved with more money. Amazon would massively increase the tax base here, even just by increasing home values and attracting highly paid professionals. That money could be used to fund affordable housing, expanded transit, etc. It could also help turn Georgia blue, which would lead to better worker protections, higher minimum wage, expansion of Medicaid and healthcare, and other safety nets. I think long term we would be better off.
The question is how much Georgia is giving away. They might not increase the tax base much for 15-20 years.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Like I said, it would speed things up, but I doubt it would top the 90s growth.
It's already not far from that point now.

At the current growth rate, the region is poised to add at least another 900,000 people since 2010, assumimg no further acceleration. The 90s and 2000s, meanwhille, added roughly 1.2 million each.

Last edited by citidata18; 06-05-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 AM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
I just find it interesting how this is the only amazon HQ thread on city data as long as it is. Almost 300 pages of commentary, it seems other residents on the short list of cities don’t care as much.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I just find it interesting how this is the only amazon HQ thread on city data as long as it is. Almost 300 pages of commentary, it seems other residents on the short list of cities don’t care as much.
I don't know if it has to do with "care;" rather, Atlantans have always had an inferiority complex that they are continually desperate to overcome. And, that isn't a bad thing - it's what has made Atlantans try so hard to grow a great city.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Has anyone here changed their stance on this?? A few months ago I was a big proponent of HQ2-ATL...after thinking about it a little more, it seems like the cons may outweigh the benefits.

I guess I'm just fearful that it might turn Atlanta into L.A. in terms of traffic and cost of living. I don't want to be priced out to Flowery Branch lol...someone help me out here

I just got my Dekalb tax assessment on my home and I am not as excited about Amazon now. Lol.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I don't know if it has to do with "care;" rather, Atlantans have always had an inferiority complex that they are continually desperate to overcome. And, that isn't a bad thing - it's what has made Atlantans try so hard to grow a great city.
I'm not sure it's an inferiority complex really. Most people in the city now aren't even from here, if we felt Atlanta was inferior we could just move. It's not like we're chained here. I actually think it's more that people feel more passionate about "shaping Atlanta". Most people in cities like Chicago, NY, or LA feel like the city is just already pretty much designed and the path has been set, plus the cities are so huge so no one development matters. Atlanta isn't like that. It's a small and manageable city with a huge reputation. For ~450k people, Atlanta has pretty high name recognition. I think people here recognize that and also recognize that Atlanta is in the middle of a renaissance that could easily shape the future, and people want feel like we have a say in it. Basically, I think we all believe Atlanta has the potential to be an Alpha city in the US in the same league as NY, Chicago, LA, but that it offers a unique opportunity to actually get in and design what type of Alpha city it will be before it hits that. It might be 50-100 years from now, but everything that happens now creates a legacy in a city that will be a major world player.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:03 PM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Quote:
I was going to say as the poster said above, Atlanta has a large population of transplants from larger cities. Maybe it’s the need to want more from a city that they know could be bigger. Many people in Atlanta are used to public transportation, vast amenities and big city environment.

The big cities (NY, LA) don’t really care which is understandable, Amazon would be more of a nuisance than anything else. But Boston, Austin and DC which I believe has the best chance of landing HQ along with Atlanta, doesn’t show as much interest. And it could be the transplants from large cities that make the difference.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

527 posts, read 319,956 times
Quote:
Well, other cities are growing as well and our goal should not be to fall behind simply because we are worried about traffic or costs. When a city stops growing and attracting big names, that's when it begins to fail.
Not wanting or getting Amazon does not mean falling behind, let alone stop growing. Come on now.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
. Basically, I think we all believe Atlanta has the potential to be an Alpha city in the US in the same league as NY, Chicago, LA, but that it offers a unique opportunity to actually get in and design what type of Alpha city it will be before it hits that. It might be 50-100 years from now, but everything that happens now creates a legacy in a city that will be a major world player.
Atlanta used to be a Alpha city less than 10 years ago. What happened?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:39 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
I can agree with this! I just also think us getting too amped up by this puts us in a bad position if Amazon chooses another city over us. Then we are looking crazy with our heads spinning. You have to some times seem like you don't care, that's with any situation even with relationships.. You have to play it cool, be laid back. The last thing you want to look is desperate, that's when you get taken advantage of.. I think the places that aren't trying so hard but putting in just the right amount of effort has the best chances, that's just my opinion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta