U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:03 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,000,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Easy answer, build it in Asia, that's how to get a more reasonable cost! The US is king of the highway, other countries/continents have very different priorities as compared to the US; Japan and China like rail, the US does not.

I would first upgrade the Acela Express to "real" high speed, which would cost tens of billions on the low end (mainly due to creating new tunnels under NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC), then extend the line to the Triangle, Charlotte and Atlanta.
Tunnels are being built under Manhattan right now. Billions are being spent expanding capacity/tracks of Long Island Rail Road at Penn Station.

The new tunnel under the Hudson from NJ to NY (that Christie prevented from getting started which would have been 1/2 done at less cost than what it will be now)….

will definitely be built because it has to be. Between Sandy damage and frequent breakdowns with NJ Transit's trains that force them to share one tunnel/track for Northbound/Southbound train...

Hundreds of thousands of people can't get to work and the Northeast Corridor suffers 9 and 10 hour delays...

So the Hudson Crossing project will happen if it hasn't begun already.

VA and NC have upgraded their tracks all the way to Charlotte to handle higher speeds such as Acela (who just got new cars capable of faster speeds on curves by tilting)…

The only missing link is the abandoned track from Raleigh to Richmond that's a direct shot rather than the current service through Rocky Mount, NC.

This 90 miles of abandoned track is expected to cost $4 billion to resurrect for higher-speed service, but I think NC and VA will eventually rise to the challenge.
;:
''
BUT WHERE HIGHER-SPEED RAIL FITS INTO THE AMERICAN TRANSPORATION SYSTEM IS THIS:

1) In regions like the Northeast where the airspace is maxxed out and can't accommodate any additional airplanes. Because the highways are even more crowded, rail is the only way to move efficiently between regional cities and can grow to meet future/

2) California's airspace can accommodate more flights between SF and LA, though I still hope the bullet train sees completion.

What I hate most about that project is its indirect path to reach Bakersfield and Fresno that add 45 minutes of time and billions in cost, when the tracks could follow I-5 up to SF for a much shorter track which would be faster and cheaper to build.

A couple of mountain passes are going to be epic challenges in cost and engineering also.

BUT RAIL DOES HAVE A PLACE IN OUR TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM.

Old Today, 05:18 PM

21,099 posts, read 33,079,911 times
Be judicious with your posts. The trolls are now counting them in order to build a case for our sense of profound dejection.

Old Today, 05:23 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,044,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Be judicious with your posts. The trolls are now counting them in order to build a case for our sense of profound dejection.
Touche! The thread in the U.S. General Forum is off the rails.

Old Today, 05:37 PM

3,428 posts, read 8,509,181 times
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/11/1...hq2-jeff-bezos

While I didn't think Atlanta needed Amazon H2Q, that article made it feel like a slap in the face. It seemed like Amazon in a roundabout way told us that our city is f-d up. Also with the way the weather has been the last few weeks, maybe they felt they didn't want it to be somewhere that has the same exact climate as Seattle, lol.

Old Today, 05:39 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
A person with common sense also. Because anyone that thinks Georgia is more desirable than Cali is simply out of touch with reality. Name me a city in GA that people that could afford either would rather live in than San Diego, Irvine, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara or even Napa lol. Surely you're not going to say Atlanta. You all must not leave the state much.
I spent 5 years in Southern California and there are lots of reasons people move to the Southeast other than cost of living.

The green trees are one reason. California is predominantly brown , and there is no high "ceiling" like what our tree canopy provides which creates a much different space and perspective.

The lack of seasons and monotonous weather is a minus for California.

And call me crazy, but there's an emptiness to the air in California. It's void of sensations to your body and senses that are provided by the cold temps and humidity on the East Coast.

And Californians love moving to North Carolina as a better place to raise a family.

And Hispanics outnumber all other ethnic groups in California as well the Asian population which is 10 times the size of every East Coast City probably including NY.

That's not a strike against California, but it is a factor in whatever culture you want to be immersed in.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

4,191 posts, read 2,758,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Tunnels are being built under Manhattan right now. Billions are being spent expanding capacity/tracks of Long Island Rail Road at Penn Station.

The new tunnel under the Hudson from NJ to NY (that Christie prevented from getting started which would have been 1/2 done at less cost than what it will be now).

will definitely be built because it has to be. Between Sandy damage and frequent breakdowns with NJ Transit's trains that force them to share one tunnel/track for Northbound/Southbound train...

Hundreds of thousands of people can't get to work and the Northeast Corridor suffers 9 and 10 hour delays...

So the Hudson Crossing project will happen if it hasn't begun already.

VA and NC have upgraded their tracks all the way to Charlotte to handle higher speeds such as Acela (who just got new cars capable of faster speeds on curves by tilting)

The only missing link is the abandoned track from Raleigh to Richmond that's a direct shot rather than the current service through Rocky Mount, NC.

This 90 miles of abandoned track is expected to cost $4 billion to resurrect for higher-speed service, but I think NC and VA will eventually rise to the challenge.
When I say high seed rail, I'm talking 160-200 mph, that's what I want from Boston to the ATL. While it's nice they are finally adding more tunnels under the Hudson, for my HSR, I would have a dedicated twin tunnel just for that.

Then twin tunneling under Philly, B-more and DC, won't be cheap. And with speeds that fast, do you have to remove all at-grade crossings, like they are doing with Cali's new HSR?

Old Today, 07:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 3,292,883 times
Let see choosing Nashville and their Gulch- definitely an Avant - garde moment or Jeff saying Atlanta is not all that like some (Hip Hop)want to proclaim. You all know I’m one of the biggest homers for ATL; however, if you understand power and art. He ( Jeff) spoke very clearly about Atlanta and Georgia culture. Hee Haw government!

Last edited by Atlwarrior; Today at 07:42 PM..

Old Today, 07:32 PM

861 posts, read 202,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That was for NoVA.
I forgot.My apologies.
It was a very good deal I guess as I din't know much about the particulars but im still skeptical.These companies do so many backroom deals and many times you dont find out the fine print until a new expose comes out.

I am really happy for Nashville but more for the region.
It needs some other cities to compliment it more like Southern California ,Mid Atlantic-Northeast Corridor.

Ive maintained since almost day one that I dont think this was a good fit for Atlanta as it will make Atlanta a city that more people cant afford or will go broke trying to.
Atlanta has to fix some issues in its governance and infrastructure in a more measured approach.Of course things would get done but I think after the recession Atlanta had to focus on more things that improve the way the city functions as well as the services it provides for its citizens.
Five thousand people is a shock to many cities let alone Nashville which is much smaller

Old Today, 07:42 PM

14,956 posts, read 26,717,009 times
There are a ton of posts about things other than Atlanta and HQ2. Now that the decision has been made and Atlanta was not awarded HQ2 it is time to close this most interesting and long thread. Thank you all for your spirited posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or