Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is crazy because it's not like the most popular nightlife districts in the city are dominated by hip hop clubs. And I suppose the kind of people making these decisions aren't researching actual crime stats because if they did...
lol

And let the war began.lol

Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hope it pushes Nashville to get a better public transit system. Nashville has more potential than cities like Charlotte or Raleigh IMO.
Charlotte I can see. Nashville has just as much potential as Raleigh but not sure I'd say it has more.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Nashville's metro is about 16% black while Atlanta's is 33%. By comparison Dallas is about 24% and Houston 22%.

https://statisticalatlas.com/metro-a...-and-Ethnicity

When I was there once there was a line around a club having a "hip hop night" and no one in the line was black.
Nashville isn't all Country music, believe me... all based by district..There is even a Caribbean and African population as well.. Kurds has a high population up there.. Go to Antioch area, Nolensville Pike, u would be greatly surprised.. By the way the National museum of African American Music is being built there to open next year...

Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I think connecting major cities with high speed rail seems "cool", just go look at California and how over budget and behind schedule their boondoggle is, and they haven't even gotten to the more difficult areas of construction yet! Running a high speed line up and over or through the Smokies won't be cheap.
On the other hand look at how they do it in Asia and Europe. It's not just "cool", it's practical.

I'm certainly not in favor of some useless boondoggle, but can't we figure out how to build modern railways at a more reasonable cost?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I guess to put a fine point on it: single, attractive, young white girls love Nashville. That means the men who like them love it, too. And when they hook up and make families, they probably continue to hold it in high regard together.
You win the internet.

Same goes for other "cool" cities like Austin, Charleston, etc.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The 'City alone" is all of Davidson County, which is most of the suburbs with a few exceptions.
Nashville has some pretty big counties out side of Davidson that has plenty of Burbs, namely Rutherford, Williamson,Wilson and Sumner counties.. Cool Springs is an Edge City similar to a Dunwoody area in Williamson County home to some Black celebs like Jill Scott for example..

Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm certainly not in favor of some useless boondoggle, but can't we figure out how to build modern railways at a more reasonable cost?
Easy answer, build it in Asia, that's how to get a more reasonable cost! The US is king of the highway, other countries/continents have very different priorities as compared to the US; Japan and China like rail, the US does not.

I would first upgrade the Acela Express to "real" high speed, which would cost tens of billions on the low end (mainly due to creating new tunnels under NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC), then extend the line to the Triangle, Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_civitas View Post
We should be connecting ourselves more to our neighboring cities, like Nashville and Charlotte. High speed rail would be perfect for reaching those places efficiently. We should learn the lessons of the Northeast - part of the prosperity there is due to the hyper connectivity. We should be knitting the Southeast together likewise.
I totally agree!!

Old 11-13-2018, 04:35 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I haven't lived in Nashville for decades, so I don't claim to be an expert.

But one thing I do remember, is some of Nashville's most important suburbs were in Williamson county. I imagine many executives for a company that pays good salaries would want to live in Brentwood.

Understood. But Nashville does have a massive nightlife district, the likes of which we don't seem to have. Many people I know adore going to Nashville to go out and have fun. Personally, I have less than zero interest in honky tonks, even though I know Nashville is an epicenter of all sorts of music, not just country.

I guess to put a fine point on it: single, attractive, young white girls love Nashville. That means the men who like them love it, too. And when they hook up and make families, they probably continue to hold it in high regard together.

The thing about Nashville that I would imagine is a huge selling point for a company like Amazon is you have a great suburb in Brentwood and its surrouding areas that is close to the city, so employees can commute fairly easily. It also has great schools, so you don't have to worry about private like you do here. Of course, I haven't checked Brentwood prices lately, so I don't know if Amazon pays its people enough to live there. But I do know this: it feels extremely safe. Whether it is or not, I can't debate. But it's all about perception, anyway, so does it really matter?

Nashville also wants to be the tech hub of the southeast, so I imagine its government bent over backwards for Amazon. The governor is also a huge supporter.
You mean like Decatur,Brokhaven,Johns Creek, Vinings/
Although Buckhead is not a suburb but it has functions like a suburb with urban amenities.
Have you seen the crowds around E Andrew/Roswell Rd on the weekends?Especially in the summer.
If you put Piedmont are that goes to Lindbergh from Peachtree and inlcude E Andrews District,you have much more than nightlife than anywhere in Nashville.Oh and blonde white girls?lol PUH-LEASE
Thats not even including the rest of the city of Atlanta

Perception is a lot but if you are a person who makes the kn=ind of money these jobs will pay,you dont think more positively about Nashville than Atlanta if you are a liberal from out West .
In fact they will know only a little but more about Atlanta if anything they see the South as all the same so one Southern city is not much different from the other.

Trust me with all the super conservative whackos in TN high levels of government,they will regret this decsions.

They picked Nashville to help make it less conservative.Atlanta would nt do anything if itwere here but on Nashville that can really alter the political landscape.

This will pull talent from Atlanta as Nashville doesnt have the talented labor force ithats needed but thats not a bad thing in Atlanta.I think there aree more people than jobs anyway.Now more of that GA Tech talent will stay if they can find a job easier.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hope it pushes Nashville to get a better public transit system. Nashville has more potential than cities like Charlotte or Raleigh IMO.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta