Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,412 times

Advertisements

What are some areas to consider OTP for active 45 plus singles without kids who can't afford Buckhead, Brookhaven, etc.? Commute to work not an issue. Looking for safe area, either small house 1500 sq feet or less or end unit townhome, with yard so large dog will have some room, preferably $220,000 or less. Also, would like having access to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Target, Costco, if possible.

I have seen homes online in places like Grayson or Woodstock that seem to work pricewise, but if 80 percent of people are married, younger and raising kids, not sure a single older professional will fit in very well. Have visited both Roswell and Alpharetta, which I liked, but think they are both above that price range now unless settle for townhome without a garage (which is less preferable for safety/convenience/inclement weather. Is Duluth a good possibility?

Also, how do you figure out which area/town (east suburbs in Gwinnett County vs. west suburbs in Cobb and Cherokee vs. the "middle" area (Fulton County) has better commute to ATL/ITP for concerts, theatre, jazz clubs, festivals?

(p.s. Have done search on forum, but have only found "retiree" questions where they are pointed to Forsyth County or information for couples with kids who are relocating.)

Any information/suggestions are appreciated. Planning a scouting trip out soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Check out Tucker & Chamblee. If you really dig, you can afford either one and they are both considered 'close-in.'

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
I don't think you need to go that far out to find something affordable. Reasonable commute in Atlanta often has to do with how far it takes you to get to a major freeway. The surface streets are what slow you down on most days. For example my trip to the airport is 22 miles but it typically takes me 15 minutes for the first 3 miles to the interstate and 20 minutes for the next 19 miles to parking.

Also, activities like concerts, theatre, festivals are not all happening in the city of Atlanta. On any given weekend there are great things going on in all corners of Atlanta. The big festivals this weekend where in Cobb County, last weekend in Stone Mountain. Concerts can be just about anywhere these days.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I don't think you need to go that far out to find something affordable. Reasonable commute in Atlanta often has to do with how far it takes you to get to a major freeway. The surface streets are what slow you down on most days. For example my trip to the airport is 22 miles but it typically takes me 15 minutes for the first 3 miles to the interstate and 20 minutes for the next 19 miles to parking.

Also, activities like concerts, theatre, festivals are not all happening in the city of Atlanta. On any given weekend there are great things going on in all corners of Atlanta. The big festivals this weekend where in Cobb County, last weekend in Stone Mountain. Concerts can be just about anywhere these days.
Great advice lorilove, but he said commuting wasn't an issue. For what he is seeking (yard for a large dog) and considering his budget, Tucker & Chamblee are good spots.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Smyrna
Clarkston - since schools aren't important you can find a steal there

Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Great advice lorilove, but he said commuting wasn't an issue. For what he is seeking (yard for a large dog) and considering his budget, Tucker & Chamblee are good spots.
I was referring to his comment that he wanted easy access commute to activities ITP like festivals and concerts

Old 09-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at Tucker and Chamblee online before and will take another look in person.
Online, my impression was that homes in those cities are older and not many are updated. Have to take that into consideration due to budget. Also, based on crime maps, either the home I pull up is in "higher" crime designation or a few blocks away from those areas. As a female, home break ins near a property am reviewing are concerning. Realize crime happens everywhere, but currently, where I live am able to walk 4 miles at 11:00 p.m. and be safe. Don't expect to be able to do that when I move, but I think that's why I'm leaning more toward suburbs, because on map, at least, they are designated lower crime areas. This may all be false perception on my part.

Another draw to an area is a vibrant downtown or business district with shops and restaurants--a nice place to walk or hang out. Maybe then being 45 min away from what's happening in ATL won't matter so much. Guess that's why have been researching Woodstock, Marietta, Duluth, etc. because posters say good things about their downtown areas. Are the downtowns in Chamblee and Tucker similar?

Hope I don't sound too particular or unreasonable. Think I have to decide whether the aesthetics of the house/property/area mean more to me or the proximity to ATL.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,082 times
Vinings/Smyrna. Quite a few townhouse options within your price range. I feel like there are quite a few older singles in the area.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
I would check out Peachtree Corners too.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Vinings/Smyrna. Quite a few townhouse options within your price range. I feel like there are quite a few older singles in the area.
Can't find anything in my price range in Vinings unless it's a highrise condo or apartment conversion. No yards or garages. But have been looking at Smyrna as a possibility. Thanks for all the ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta