U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,662,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Houston tried that. We saw how well that worked out for them.
50 inches of rain in 3-5 days will flood anyplace. That is Atlanta (and Houston's) average annual rainfall.

No zoning allows a lot of the mixed use projects urbanists are so fond of that take months and years and connections to get done in cities with zoning. There's a trend to look at form based zoning as opposed to what most cities do now which is more restrictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Amazon and others, too.

Yet another reason for the business community to contribute to transit funding.
Uber and Lyft are by far the worst offenders.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:12 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Most people, including the big developers, seem to be in favor of the parking maximums. However, some folks say the new parking maximums are another attempt to slow down development in Buckhead.

Inside The Proposal To Fix Buckhead's Traffic Problems With Less Parking

Old 09-29-2017, 12:24 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,547,624 times
Great quote from the article:

Quote:
RADCO Cos. CEO Norman Radow echoed those sentiments, and said he was skeptical that the ordinances would really reduce traffic in Buckhead at all. RADCO has no potential developments in Buckhead, he said.

But the developer said he is discovering that his residents in the apartments around Buckhead and other urban areas are not forgoing car ownership despite transit and the revolution of shared transportation providers. “In general, we are not finding that Uber or Lyft are having a dramatic change in the number of cars per bed. It's being used a lot, but it's not affecting people's desire to own a car,” he said. “I think it's political chest-pounding. But I think it has no impact on the problem they say they're trying to solve. This is a poorly thought-out, feel-good policy that won't impact what they're trying to get to.”

Radow also said there is a trend of people getting roommates and adding more heads per unit, especially at a time when apartment rents are reaching record levels inside the city. Reducing the number of spaces residents will have, especially for guests and roommates, will only make those future apartment projects less appealing to renters. Instead, Radow said he would like to see a more comprehensive plan to address congestion in Buckhead that could potentially include light rail, wider streets and projects that would change traffic patterns, perhaps even in conjunction with a reduction in parking ratios. “My view is build the freaking infrastructure and don't hide behind things like this,” he said. “Solve the problem fundamentally instead of tinkering around the edges.”

Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Instead, Radow said he would like to see a more comprehensive plan to address congestion in Buckhead that could potentially include light rail, wider streets and projects that would change traffic patterns, perhaps even in conjunction with a reduction in parking ratios. “My view is build the freaking infrastructure and don't hide behind things like this,” he said. “Solve the problem fundamentally instead of tinkering around the edges.”
So...where is this space for these "wider streets" going to come from?

Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Quote:
“In general, we are not finding that Uber or Lyft are having a dramatic change in the number of cars per bed. It's being used a lot, but it's not affecting people's desire to own a car,”
I mean, this pretty much says absolutely everything....

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM

No issue with using Downtown and Midtown parking ratios in our other business district
Quote:
In essence, the proposed ordinance will take similar parking ratios found in Downtown Atlanta's zoning districts and impose them in sections in Buckhead.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser

Old 09-29-2017, 02:13 PM

That sheds light on it. I mean, the maximums are reasonable....everyone living in an apartment should have enough parking for themselves, it would just be problematic for their guests when they have them.

But I think this makes it totally unfair:

Quote:
There are exceptions: new eating and drinking establishments are exempt.
Soooo....build a restaurant or bar and you can have as much parking as you like, but build an apartment and you have to limit it???? I mean, who causes more congestion on Peachtree, apartments or restaurants? Most of the time when I see lines of cars spilling out onto Peachtree, it's because they are waiting to valet at some restaurant. Why not force them to bring their valet stations further in so their lines don't spill into the street? That would be better than limiting guest parking at apartments, which doesn't seem like it would do much to curb traffic, but would annoy residents.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That sheds light on it. I mean, the maximums are reasonable....everyone living in an apartment should have enough parking for themselves, it would just be problematic for their guests when they have them.

But I think this makes it totally unfair:

Soooo....build a restaurant or bar and you can have as much parking as you like, but build an apartment and you have to limit it???? I mean, who causes more congestion on Peachtree, apartments or restaurants? Most of the time when I see lines of cars spilling out onto Peachtree, it's because they are waiting to valet at some restaurant. Why not force them to bring their valet stations further in so their lines don't spill into the street? That would be better than limiting guest parking at apartments, which doesn't seem like it would do much to curb traffic, but would annoy residents.
We should not be building extra spaces for potential guest. That's like paying the premium cost for a house with a spare bedroom, in case of guest. Apartment guests can park in the visitor spaces, on the street, around the corner, or use alternative transportation.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
We should not be building extra spaces for potential guest. That's like paying the premium cost for a house with a spare bedroom, in case of guest.
That's just, like, your opinion, man. Most people DO buy houses with guest rooms!

But, anyway, even if you're correct....that's really the renters' problem, isn't it? I mean, it just drives up the price of their rent, but it doesn't impact anybody else so long as the parking is in a deck, who cares if that deck is 4 stories high or 5? The argument here is trying to solve a traffic problem. I don't see how limiting how many guests can visit a renter impact that. How much traffic on Peachtree do you think is caused by people visiting friends who rent apartments there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or