Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know that much about West End, really....

But College Park seems to always end up on lists like this one of the worst suburbs in Atlanta:
The 10 worst Atlanta suburbs - Story | WAGA

Maybe it's improved since 2009, but who could forget this scathing report:
College Park worst for crime, FBI stats say

And the uncensored conversations over on Reddit seem to mostly agree that College Park is a dump.
College Park has its issues but this house on Rugby is right in the historic area. I have two friends who live there and they like it a lot.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,981,730 times
But you can understand how this isn't a good answer for everybody, right? People who want good public schools for their kids come to mind.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,224,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
If you are talking strictly in the city proper there isn't a huge amount of majority white neighborhoods to begin with.
What gives you that idea?

Just off the top of my head...

Candler Park
Lake Claire
Ormewood Park
Grant Park
Cabbagetown
Midtown
Virginia-Highland
Poncey-Highland
Morningside
Buckhead
Glenwood Park
Ansley Park
Reynoldstown

Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,814,051 times
Quote:
But you can understand how this isn't a good answer for everybody, right? People who want good public schools for their kids come to mind.
You do realize that standardized test across schools is far more reflective of wealth and demographics than the actual schools, right? A school that keeps students flat at a 5th grade level will rate higher than a school that improves students from a 1st grade level to a 4th grade level, when I think we can all agree the latter is the better school.

And you do realize that one of those options was in Decatur which has the best public school system in the state, right?

Look, I know it is not easy to accept when for decades you have been feed the lie that you have no choice but to sit in traffic every day in Atlanta. But the truth is, there are great options for living right next to MARTA.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,387,098 times
As someone that actually grew up in CP, even I wouldn't call it a great option. Decent, sure.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And you do realize that one of those options was in Decatur which has the best public school system in the state, right?
Oh, hooray, you can get a 732 square foot 1-bedroom condo in an area with good schools. That's reeeeaaaaallllll helpful for someone with school aged kids.

I know you grew up in a 400 square foot house with 17 siblings and hosted fabulous dinner parties for 80 of your closest friends every week and everything was just dandy, but you do realize that isn't for everybody, right?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,341,935 times
Downtown College Park has many gorgeous, quiet, tree shaded neighborhoods of historic AND vintage homes within walking distance of its MARTA station. I am not just talking about Rugby Avenue which has ALWAYS been the city's 'favored quarter" but many others around the College Park central business district. Downtown College Park is also VERY WALKABLE with stores (including a full line grocery store, Wayfield), banks, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc. all along, or just off Main Street.

Yes, College Park DOES have its problems, ESPECIALLY the parts of the city limits and postal zone immediately SOUTH of the airport (upper part of Roosevelt Highway, upper part of Old National Corridor, upper part of Riverdale Road, "god awful " Godby Road area. etc.) Pretending that most, not all, areas around the College Park MARTA station don't range from "okay" to "really nice" is disingenuous in my opinion.

The West End has MANY blocks of beautifully renovated Victorian hoes along the Oglethorpe Avenue and Peeples Street spines south of Abernathy. When I taught at Brown Middle (on Peeples Street) several years ago, many of these restored homes were occupied by Black professionals, many who worked at the nearby Atlanta University Center to the northwest. Many in the community said even then, "The West End has two faces" referring to the contrasts between these Victorian beauties with their tree shaded manicured yards surrounded by "Savannah style" wrought iron fences and the neglect and decline found just a couple blocks away. I find myself really pulling for this gem of an Intown neighborhood that (like Downtown College Park) has an intact, walkable business district with banks, grocery stores, dry cleaners, restaurants, stores, etc.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM

I'm pulling for West End, too. The Blue Tower is one of my favorite spaces in the entire city.

But I think it's fair to say it isn't quite "there" just yet.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM

149 posts, read 181,117 times
We had to cancel a PSA on a home a year ago in West End because we found bullet holes in the living room during the due diligence period that weren't there during our first viewing. Needless to say we stopped looking on that side of town.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
Quote:
Of course. There aren't many places that would be a good answer for everybody.

To use your example, Rugby might be just the ticket for people who prefer the vibe of an older home in an intown neighborhood, and don't have kids (or use private schools or are willing to put their shoulder to the wheel to improve College Park's public schools).

Different strokes for different folks. It's a big world out there, and people have different interests, resources and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta