U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 2,399 times

Advertisements

We are moving and need to decide between Milton & Johns Creek areas. Milton feels a little "horsey" and rural, but Johns Creek feels cramped and cookie cutter. Can someone please give me the low-down on the 2 areas. On a side-note, we like the golf/country club neighborhoods. Looking for friendly, family-oriented, with lots of neighborhood activities so we can meet people. Also- let's pretend that money isn't a factor. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM

773 posts, read 320,278 times
Really both seem to be about the same demographics wise. The only reason Milton seems to be more expensive is because the lots might be a little bigger. Also Johns Creek has more retail development inside of it, but both are convenient to Avalon and North Point Mall, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM

7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
I was about the same. They are pretty much the same in every way. Johns Creek is just newer.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 AM

908 posts, read 3,380,753 times
Both are wealthy areas with great schools and low crime. Other than Milton feeling more rural, I would say the big difference is that Johns Creek has a much larger Asian population.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
I know a lot about Johns Creek. Only a little about Milton.

But my general feeling is that Milton has more sprawling "horse farmy" estates and Johns Creek has more typical upscale, but suburban type development. Johns Creek also seems to have a thriving Asian and Indian population, Milton feels quite a bit more whitewashed.

Both can be fairly close to an artery into town (GA-400) or inconveniently far away, depending on exactly where in each city you happen to live.

In Johns Creek, you are nestled between Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, and Peachtree Corners. Milton has Alpharetta to the south, but it seems like the areas it borders to the north, east and west are a lot more rural. I feel like it's more isolated.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,399 times
Thank you for your replies. In general, is the traffic about the same? DH would be working on North Point Pkway, so both seem like viable options. Are their more conveniences near Johns Creek (CCOS) than Milton (White Columns)? Grocery, pharmacy, stores, restaurants?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,554,426 times
Also keep in mind that Milton is a little closer to Cherokee County/Woodstock area, so that area is also available for shopping/dining as well. I think Milton is beautiful, but if you're not into horse farms, it may not be your bag.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM

1,132 posts, read 879,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromfltoga View Post
Are their more conveniences near Johns Creek (CCOS) than Milton (White Columns)? Grocery, pharmacy, stores, restaurants?
Resoundingly, yes! As you've already observed, Milton has a much more rural vibe to it. You're almost certainly going to be traveling farther to get to a grocery store than you would if you lived in Johns Creek.

Given that DH will be working on North Point Pkwy, I'd lean more towards Johns Creek simply to avoid having to cross the 400 corridor twice a day. It sounds like the amenities you want are going to be a little bit easier to find there, anyway.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,269,688 times
White Columns is about 10 minutes from Pulix, Scottsdale Farm (breakfast, lunch and lots of activities, and the Union restaurant. Add another 5 minutes and you're in the expanding Crabapple area with shops, restaurants, etc and the beautiful Milton library.

The golf, swim, tennis at White Columns is very nice and you'll certainly have no trouble making friends.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 PM

205 posts, read 81,444 times
St Ives and St Marlo Country club are both family-friendly with lots of neighborhood activities for you to meet people. They are in Johns Creek.

Both cities are very similar; I'd recommend Johns Creek simply because it's closer to work and traffic can get quite congested. As mentioned, it is newer and experienced quicker growth than Milton. That explains the cookie-cutter feel. But with a greater percentage of transplants, it is also more diverse, which means more diverse restaurant and shopping options, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or