U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,257,242 times

Advertisements

City of Morrow in Clayton County has many nice "mid century" quiet neighborhoods in that price range.

1. Close to City of Atlanta and airport.
2. Nice PATH system (pedestrian/ running/bicycles/ golf carts) through woodlands and across wetlands connecting most of Morrow's west side neighborhoods with Clayton State, the Morrow Walmart, and Morrow City Hall.
3. Reynolds Nature Preserve.
4.VERY RESPONSIVE city government, code enforcement, and public safety.
5. Well kept, tree shaded mid-century neighborhoods.
6. Southlake Mall/ Mt. zion shopping district featuring all "basic needs" for shopping from Sear's, to Macy's, to Cost Co, and there is even a Sam's Club Morrow adjacent. Perhaps not all you want, but mostly all you need.
7. Friendly, diverse community with many well established churches and community organizations.
8. Many City sponsored special events and festivals throughout the year.
9. Large Southeast Asian population with the "mom and pop" restaurants and grocery stores to match. Many good choices from authentic Vietnamese to Thai.
10. MARTA bus access with rail in the planning stages.
11. Still VERY AFFORDABLE, you could probably find a fairly nice three bedroom two bath ranch in need of just a little updating under $100,000.
12. Lake City, just north of Morrow is another good option for many of the same reasons, just no wonderful PATH system.

***I would stay within the city limits of both Morrow and Lake City (they share the same 30260 zip code) as many parts of unincorporated Clayton County within the 30260 zip code ARE NOT the same.

Parts of the southeast side of the City of Forest Park adjacent to both Morrow and Lake City share a similar vibe, but don't share all of the amenities, although it is close enough to enjoy them, too. Forest Park as a whole is even more economical, is closer to Atlanta and has some great things about it too (like cute vintage homes) just avoid anything too close to the Old Dixie highway corridor in Forest Park or too close to any older declining apartment complex. Ash Street in Forest Park has many smaller nice brick homes (most with only one bath) but has a homespun "Americana" feel to its vintage, well kept tree shaded street scape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,491,317 times
You could find something in north DeKalb, within reasonable driving distance of a MARTA station, for less than $200k. I don't know whether you'd call the neighborhoods "up and coming" yet. That's the thing about that price range, you're going to be an early investor in a urban neighborhood that's starting to turn around, or a latecomer to a more suburban area that's on the decline. Either way you're reliant on a little bit of luck.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:44 PM

8 posts, read 5,349 times
Good people,

I want to thank you so much for your responses! Know that none of this information will or has fallen on deaf ears (or blind eyes in this case). I am taking everything into consideration... Thanks for your responses and for those that will continue to respond.

You all mentioned BeltLine properties- seriously considering that!
Now, is Bankhead an area I would be okay investing in or should I stay the hell away??!!I hear its kind of rough but I noticed it is smack dab in/on the BeltLine when I did some research?

Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,491,317 times
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/9/15...lanta-bungalow

These are the kinds of places I'd be looking for; renovated homes within a mile of where the Beltline will eventually be. I did this 4 years ago in Reynoldstown and that bet paid off big for me. Your mileage may vary, but I'd be willing to consider living in any neighborhood that's destined to see the Beltline touch it (though probably with a preference for those that will see construction commence sooner rather than later).

Old 10-06-2017, 05:05 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,290,464 times
Doraville might be a good fit. It's an easy drive into the city plus it has a Marta station. With Chamblee booming, Doraville is sure to be the next hot area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or