Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
The Falcons owner joins a number of others in speaking out in support of the protesting players. For fans that don't like this, Trump has said fans should boycott the NFL. Good luck with that. People talk big about this but would never miss a game over it. The players and owners know this. If anything the attention has brought in viewers who might not normally follow football.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/4...-protests/amp/
Actually there have been studies that support the idea that viewership is down specifically because of the protests last year.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
They don’t live in reality and have no clue what it is like for the average middle class working person. They are part of the privileged wealthy elite in this country and have no clue what it is actually like to not have a voice so why should I listen to them or take it seriously?
Not sure if you heard, but Trump has gold toilets. Not sure if Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, or Vic Beasley owns one...but I doubt it.

Amazing how people are quick to criticize athletes and call them out of touch, like every single athlete was born and grew up in the 1%. Yet Trump, who is a billionaire, a walking definition of wealthy elite, is a perfect voice for the middle class American people...

I think im going to go with Julio Jones on this one.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM

251 posts, read 257,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You seem to not understand this. Arthur Blank is a billionaire who built his fortune off the backs of middle class people and people who were making minimum wage. The players he employs receive their salaries from middle class and working poor folks who attend games, buy food, drinks, and merchandise, and watch games on tv. So, who is taking advantage of who here? Knowing the answer to that why should any middle class individual listen to a bunch of billionaires and millionaires tell me about any struggle or perceived injustice in this country? You are looking at this on a micro level. This is a macro level issue and yes the middle class is the one who has been getting screwed in this country for 40 years now. This isn’t about black and white as we both know that there are middle class people from all backgrounds. You have the very people who are trying to lecture us and protest are the ones who are doing the taking of advantage because they are wealthy and privileged.
Arthur Blank did not participate in the protests, so I'm not sure why the focus is on him. He and many others have either said the players have the right to peacefully protest, or have questioned Trumps harsher reaction to these players protesting than to the neo nazi protests that have taken place. Trump said there were many fine people among the neo nazi protestors and hasn't said the same of any football players. As he said, those who feel unhappy about what's going on can protest themselves by not watching the NFL games.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Trump said there were many fine people among the neo nazi protestors and hasn't said the same of any football players. As he said, those who feel unhappy about what's going on can protest themselves by not watching the NFL games.
A very good point.

However, isn't Trump friendly with some of the pro sports team owners?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Actually there have been studies that support the idea that viewership is down specifically because of the protests last year.
Ratings have been going down for years, all over TV. Protests, *cord cutting*, streaming, piracy, more channel options, Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, quality of content, too many commercials, etc, etc, etc. People act like this is sudden, but it isnt.

Yeah, protests have had an impact, but the talking point of people refusing to watch because of protests hurting the NFL is diluted when people have slowly been tuning in less anyway. Theres a reason ESPN is coming out with their own streaming app: theyre trying to win back those cord cutters. Theyre the biggest ones gutting their business, not boycotters.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:
Arthur Blank did not participate in the protests, so I'm not sure why the focus is on him. He and many others have either said the players have the right to peacefully protest, or have questioned Trumps harsher reaction to these players protesting than to the neo nazi protests that have taken place. Trump said there were many fine people among the neo nazi protestors and hasn't said the same of any football players. As he said, those who feel unhappy about what's going on can protest themselves by not watching the NFL games.
That isn’t what Trump said. He said there were normal people there who were not part of either group who got wrapped up in that mess. You are parroting the media narrative which isn’t the truth and it isn’t what Trump said.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
We must not support the flag burners. Those that disrespect the flag are flag burners. We all should complain and solicit the aid of the sponsors as well. Flag burning is not about free speech. So much harm has been done to young Americans. So much disrespect towards to those that fought for us.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I applaud Arthur Blanks statement. Unfortunately, this is message should have never had to come from an NFL owner. I hope this starts an honest dialogue and not more division.

Arthur Blank, Falcons issue statement on Trump | Falcons Wire
The kneeling is another debate, but I respect Arthur Blank for doing whats right and making a statement. Im a Panthers fan, but Jerry Richardson has not and will not make a statement. Thats weak and cowardace to me.

I havent taken Arthur Blank 101, but from what I can tell, he seems like a genuine guy and one of the better owners. He seems really invested in Atlanta, not just his ticket sales.

Thank you for your service as well, Atlwarriror.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
The protest is not a constitutional right. If they did it on their own time when they weren't in uniform, it would be a constitutional right. As it is, they are dragging politics into entertainment and degrading the quality of the entertainment. Most people following sports don't want to hear about strikes with millionaires arguing with billionaires or about politics. It should be about the game.
yes it is, it's literally there constitutional right to protest anywhere they feel. In fact it's even a right to not say the pledge altogether, it maybe morally wrong but it's a freedom given.

In fact the idea getting fired for kneeling is bizarre and against free speech. And even stranger that president think he has the power to dictated when organization can fire some one. That dictator like behavior.

And what kills me what nobody is talking about is how the heck is he up and arms over players kneeling protesting discrimination but he stood up for statues of CSA men who literally committed treason something far worst more insulting to America and did not care for difference then between protesters. So the whole patriotic card he trying to pull is bs, he pander to racist

And Trump blew up the issues bigger than it was, this actually old news NFL player Colin Kaepernick and other players have been doing this over a years. The Sports and entertainment seem to be moving along quit fine. what happen is recently basketball player steph curry said he was not going to visit the white house after winning the NBA championship. Trump got in fit and started ranting about sports on twitter and a rally.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 PM

251 posts, read 257,725 times
Quote:
Cable watching in general is down, including a number of sports. Basketball and hockey have also seen viewership decline. Many people have ditched cable. You can now watch some games through streaming services which aren't included in cable viewing totals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: