U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,658 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating from SoCal to South metro atlanta. We are planning to live in Peachtree city as we have been told that the public schools are very good in that city. Currently my daughter goes to a secular private elementary school in So Cal. The major thing I am worried about is that public schools in peachtree city may be much less diverse in terms of different things. Currently, the school that my daughter goes to is extremely diverse in terms of religion, race, ethnicity, political views etc. Should I consider putting her in the private schools in atlanta city. Are those schools more diverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
Diverse, how? Private Schools in the City of Atlanta are very expensive (some at or above $20,000 a year for high school) They do have different "vibes" with Paideia in eastern Atlanta's Druid Hills area probably being the most left leaning and others (Pace, Westminster, Holy Innocence, Lovett) being more centrist or conservative. Most of the latter schools have at least a nominal religious affiliation. All of them are overwhelmingly, but of course not entirely, White. So really, in my opinion, and you should know my bias as a proud, nearly two decade public school teacher, private schools in the City of Atlanta are MUCH LESS diverse than ANY Fayette County public school.

MUCH closer to Fayette County/ Peachtree City is Woodward Academy in College Park (a close in southwest suburb just adjacent to the City of Atlanta AND Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport. Woodward is the (or one of) the top college prep schools in Georgia and also one of the most diverse (almost or over 1/3 minority) A Woodward education also comes at a high tuition rate.

Several years ago, when I coached debate while still working in Atlanta Public Schools, I noticed that the feeder middle school to McIntosh High (central and northern Peachtree City) seemed to have a great deal of ethnic diversity (I don't know if this indicated a diverse school, or if just a diverse group of students were interested in debate. ) As the other poster indicated, the Fayette County High cluster just up the street from Peachtree City is known as being a combination of a diverse student body with good academics.

I know that PTC Dad on this forum could give you a much better answer than this about the Peachtree City Schools. Hopefully he will see this and give you an "insider's" perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or