U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM

9,567 posts, read 8,636,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Personally, I'd want to invest a little extra in cameras for the elevators and invent a special "peeing in the elevator" charge that results in life in prison without the possibility of parole
How about a Shlong Shocker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,487,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Not sure if you are a male or a female. If you are a male, a single male, would you ask a woman for her phone number for decades if she always kept saying no?
If someone is the type who keeps trying the same thing and expects a different result.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If someone is the type who keeps trying the same thing and expects a different result.
Before I was a crusty broke high school student. She was the hot girl. I asked for her number but she thought she was too good for me. Now I got a great career, good credit, I look good and now that I'm hot she wants me to ask for her number but she still thinks she is too good for me. She would rather do it on her own but the region knows she would do better if she came to me. At this point her ass needs to court me. Bring me some sweet potato pie and wooo me. Fk it. Im doing good in my own. She needs me more than I need her. She needs to get her sh}t together because she has missed out on several good men and now she is about to miss out on the biggest prize in decades. If she thinks she can do it on her own then so be it

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM

5,382 posts, read 4,897,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Georgia senator: Atlanta suburbs need to get on board with mass transit | Spinning our Wheels

Well, he's right....I see the biggest stumbling block to Atlanta getting the Amazon deal as MARTA not serving the city well enough.

I like how he calls out NCR leaving Gwinnett county (which nobody seems to realize is as big a deal as it is).

My biggest issue with what he says, as I have said before, is that I believe the political will is already there. All that's needed is a decent "vote yes on MARTA" campaign to educate people and for it to actually appear on a ballot.
Good thread.

You make a good point about the political will (potentially) being there to extend high-capacity transit into outlying areas like Gwinnett and Cobb.

I agree that the political will is there... But likely just not in large enough amounts for a vote to be commissioned on whether or not to extend MARTA in its current form into outlying areas like Gwinnett and (especially) Cobb counties.

Both Gwinnett and Cobb counties appear to be potentially coming closer to the point that they might accept the extension of high-capacity transit lines into their jurisdictions from Atlanta.

Though, Gwinnett (with its more diverse electorate and even more diverse population) appears to be potentially closing in on that point faster than Cobb County where the deeply-rooted conservatism and anti-transit sentiment (while continuing to quickly subside) continues to be deeper and broader than in Gwinnett.

While the social and cultural conditions continue to evolve in those counties and while the populations in those continue to diversify, for the time being, the electorates (which are considerably smaller than the overall populations) in Cobb and Gwinnett counties just are not yet diversified enough for even a vote on MARTA expansion into those areas from Atlanta to be commissioned, much less for a MARTA expansion referendum to be won... Though it should be reiterated that Gwinnett County appears to potentially be closing in on that point a little faster than Cobb County appears to be.

(...Though with populations of over 907,000 and 748,000 respectively, both Gwinnett and Cobb counties appear to increasingly be in need of a robust high-capacity transit option within their borders that connects to and from Atlanta.)

The challenge with getting high-capacity transit service into outlying counties like Gwinnett and Cobb is that their political environments continue to be controlled by electorates dominated by deeply-conservative older voters who remain highly-averse to the concept of transit being utilized as a serious transportation option, particularly MARTA transit from Atlanta.

I think that it was just week (after it was initially revealed that Amazon was conducting a nationwide search for a location for their second headquarters) that multiple Cobb County politicians reiterated their continuing opposition to the concept of MARTA-operated high-capacity transit being expanded into the county from Atlanta.

The prospect of MARTA in its current form being expanded into Gwinnett and/or Cobb counties just is not politically feasible at this time.

What potentially might be politically feasible in the not-too-distant future is the expansion of high-capacity transit into Gwinnett and/or Cobb counties under the governance of a state, regional or sub-regional level not named MARTA that is controlled by suburban and exurban Republican interests outside of Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties.

...And even that scenario would be contingent on whether or not a business-friendly Republican (like a Casey Cagle or a Hunter Hill) would win the Georgia gubernatorial race next year in 2018.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,117,144 times
If you live in Gwinnett County, please take the transit survey located here: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...winnett/survey! Itís time for Gwinnett to join MARTA!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
If you live in Gwinnett County, please take the transit survey located here: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...winnett/survey! Itís time for Gwinnett to join MARTA!
Would it be wrong to take it if you don't live in Gwinnett?

I guess so.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Would it be wrong to take it if you don't live in Gwinnett?

I guess so.

No because Gwinnett brings too much traffic into Atlanta daily

Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
No because Gwinnett brings too much traffic into Atlanta daily
Good point.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:56 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,432,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I wish MARTA served the city great, instead of ignoring the NW side. Then maybe I could actually use it.
NW Atlanta gets transit coverage just fine. I ride MARTA whenever I can and have no problems doing so. If you're referring to the NW side of the metro then, yeah, not so much.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,911,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
NW Atlanta gets transit coverage just fine.
Well, Buckhead, or whatever you want to call it. The northwestern most part of Atlanta. East of the river, west of Roswell Rd, down as far south as Peachtree Creek, and up to the city limits w/ Sandy Springs.

That entire area (a huge area) has zero train stations, and only one single bus route, the 12, which is slow and long and useless. I live maybe about a mile or so west of the city/river, but if I lived on the Atlanta side of city limits, inside the city proper- the transit situation would be just as dismal and useless.

And south of there you don't have any train stations either. Howell Mill doesn't have a station (ridiculous), Northside Dr doesn't, Collier doesn't. Underwood Hills, Bolton, Riverside, Whittier Mills, Berkely Park, Loring Heights... nothing. Besides a few bus routes.

Even if Cobb forever refused to have any transit, Vinings would still be well served if there was a station in Atlanta at Mt Paran or W Paces Ferry or down at Moore's Mill (as appeared in the original MARTA plans.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or