Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm just curious...

Is it incumbent upon Cobb County to come to MARTA with something? What if instead, MARTA officials wooed them with a plan they couldn't resist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
MARTA should make a push for Cobb. Come up with an amazing, comprehensive plan, with social-media-shareable graphics and such. Nice renderings, videos, pdf file brochures, all that.

Be like... "this is what you could get for 1%".

Yes, it would cost a little bit out of MARTA's budget. But still. They'd make the money right back if Cobb joined.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
I'm just curious...

Is it incumbent upon Cobb County to come to MARTA with something? What if instead, MARTA officials wooed them with a plan they couldn't resist?
MARTA's policy is that they will make a presentation to Cobb and Gwinnett when they are ready for MARTA, so yes, it is incumbent on Cobb to make the first move. Otherwise MARTA would be spending money developing a plan for a county that may or may not want it, when it has better things to do within its own service area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cobb has 2 steps to even hold a sales tax referendum, get past the first hurdle then maybe there's hope. Honestly, I think Clayton Co has the blueprint for other jurisdictions joining MARTA.
Clayton should be the blueprint, but other counties need actually acknowledge that because people don't seem to understand that.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Why doesn't Cobb start a grassroots effort, if there are so many people who want high quality transit?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why doesn't Cobb start a grassroots effort, if there are so many people who want high quality transit?
Obligatory: Transit for Cobb Campaign

Quote:
This website is intended to educate the citizens of Cobb as to what expanding transit in the county could look like, and what options are available to the county. It is the collective effort of a coalition of various grass roots and locally-lead organizations looking to improve transit in the county.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
MARTA's policy is that they will make a presentation to Cobb and Gwinnett when they are ready for MARTA
What, exactly, does that mean?

Can Cobb and Gwinnett say to MARTA, "we want to put it on the ballot, come show us what you've got," or will MARTA not provide anything until a tax has been approved? Because most people don't like to fund things until they have a pretty decent idea what they'd be getting.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
What, exactly, does that mean?

Can Cobb and Gwinnett say to MARTA, "we want to put it on the ballot, come show us what you've got," or will MARTA not provide anything until a tax has been approved? Because most people don't like to fund things until they have a pretty decent idea what they'd be getting.
Not sure if you are a male or a female. If you are a male, a single male, would you ask a woman for her phone number for decades if she always kept saying no?

Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM

If, technically speaking, she told me no once in like 1970, I might try asking for it again more than 40 years later....

Old 09-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If, technically speaking, she told me no once in like 1970, I might try asking for it again more than 40 years later....
Go get some data. We need it, certainly, and I've been pushing for some proper polling on the topic, but until we have solid evidence that Cobb at large wants to join MARTA, it just doesn't make sense for the agency to spend resources on them.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM

I agree that the county would have to show some interest first and ask MARTA to present it to them.

But I also think if MARTA hopes to expand, it can't expect counties to vote in a tax without at least a pretty decent understanding of what exactly that tax is going to fund.

But maybe MARTA doesn't need to actually provide that information. I mean, with as many studies as have been conducted over the past decades, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to obtain decent renderings of what the stations could look like and where the track could go.

Personally, I'd want to invest a little extra in cameras for the elevators and invent a special "peeing in the elevator" charge that results in life in prison without the possibility of parole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta