U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,157,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's been an exponential increase in the number of panhandlers along my walk route to work along Auburn/Edgewood.
And a TON more people sleeping under the 85 overpass on Hill St. by Grady. I'm assuming many of the same people representing the increase there are the same people you've noticed panhandling. It's getting worse and worse by the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 06:14 AM

2,861 posts, read 6,260,630 times
I'm in Sandy Springs and have noticed more homeless looking folks hanging around shopping centers and walking along the streets.

So, no - the homeless people aren't gone, they are just scattered.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
And a TON more people sleeping under the 85 overpass on Hill St. by Grady. I'm assuming many of the same people representing the increase there are the same people you've noticed panhandling. It's getting worse and worse by the week.
The bridge on Hill st has always been like that though. Police did clear it up a while back for a few weeks buy they eventually came back

Old 09-27-2017, 06:18 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,157,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
The bridge on Hill st has always been like that though. Police did clear it up a while back for a few weeks buy they eventually came back
I bike through there everyday, there have always been some homeless people, but nowhere near the extent that are there now. The police did clear it out, but that didn't last for too long. The number of homeless people there before it was cleared out was much less than now. Over the past month or so, there has been an exponential increase in people sleeping and using the bathroom under that overpass.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 AM

4,994 posts, read 3,480,819 times
I guess people are starting to realize you can't "hide" them at Peachtree-Pine anymore.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,431,212 times
All the homeless people went east, those side streets off Edgewood and by Grady looking like Skid Row in LA right now. And sadly I'm not exaggerating. Anyone with a brain knew this would happen. There always was some in that area, but recently there has been a HUGE increase in the amount of homeless folks over there. If I was a resident of the 4th Ward I'd be 38 Hot right now. They basically took a dump on your hood to clean up that part of Peachtree.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
All the homeless people went east, those side streets off Edgewood and by Grady looking like Skid Row in LA right now. And sadly I'm not exaggerating. Anyone with a brain knew this would happen. There always was some in that area, but recently there has been a HUGE increase in the amount of homeless folks over there. If I was a resident of the 4th Ward I'd be 38 Hot right now. They basically took a dump on your hood to clean up that part of Peachtree.
Keeping the shelter wasn't an option either.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Keeping the shelter wasn't an option either.
We can debate that until the cows come home bro. In my eyes all they did was set progress in the Edgewood area back in lieu of making that part of Midtown look better. It didn't solve the problem, it just moved it elsewhere and imo it's worse now. Peachtree Pine wasn't pretty, but that tent city thats growing by Grady looks a lot worse than P&P ever did. We're talking a whole 2 city blocks full of people sleeping in tents and outright just laid out on the sidewalk. I guarantee you'd much rather walk past P&P at its worst than walk thru the blocks by Grady I'm talking about now. I saw it about a week ago and was floored, never seen anything like that in Atlanta. And we've had a homeless problem in this city long as I can remember. That wasn't hyperbole in my first post, it legit looks like Skid Row now. You can't even walk down those blocks without stepping on someone hardly, when in our history have we ever had an area like that until now? Not to mention the fact that more people actually reside and live in that area than the area around P&P. I'm sure those small town parents sending their kids to G State will sleep a lot better at night when they find out that Jr Moon's dorm is 2 blocks away from Skid Row East

Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
We can debate that until the cows come home bro. In my eyes all they did was set progress in the Edgewood area back in lieu of making that part of Midtown look better.
Peachtree-Pine wasn't in Midtown, and the Beatys/B. Wardlaw's no-rules homeless warehouse should never have existed in the first place.

Quote:
]It didn't solve the problem, it just moved it elsewhere and imo it's worse now. Peachtree Pine wasn't pretty, but that tent city thats growing by Grady looks a lot worse than P&P ever did. We're talking a whole 2 city blocks full of people sleeping in tents and outright just laid out on the sidewalk. I guarantee you'd much rather walk past P&P at its worst than walk thru the blocks by Grady I'm talking about now. I saw it about a week ago and was floored, never seen anything like that in Atlanta. And we've had a homeless problem in this city long as I can remember. That wasn't hyperbole in my first post, it legit looks like Skid Row now. You can't even walk down those blocks without stepping on someone hardly, when in our history have we ever had an area like that until now? Not to mention the fact that more people actually reside and live in that area than the area around P&P. I'm sure those small town parents sending their kids to G State will sleep a lot better at night when they find out that Jr Moon's dorm is 2 blocks away from Skid Row East
Then the city needs to get off of its ass and fix the problem.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Peachtree-Pine wasn't in Midtown, and the Beatys/B. Wardlaw's no-rules homeless warehouse should never have existed in the first place.

Then the city needs to get off of its ass and fix the problem.
Downtown/Midtown, fricking on top of Phillips Arena, that doesn't matter. Stop dissecting my post as my point is still the same. We just took a self contained problem and let it out all over the city. Been telling y'all for years the homeless folks at P&P were the same people who used to hang out around Techwood, they tore that down and they just moved east to P&P. We're not solving the problem, all we are doing is kicking the can down the road. And please tell me how taking a contained problem and letting it loose on the whole city is helping anything?

Edit- I was born right across the street at Crawford Long, which is now Emory Midtown, so you may not see it as Midtown, but clearly some of us do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or