U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Downtown/Midtown, fricking on top of Phillips Arena, that doesn't matter. Stop dissecting my post as my point is still the same. We just took a self contained problem and let it out all over the city. Been telling y'all for years the homeless folks at P&P were the same people who used to hang out around Techwood, they tore that down and they just moved east to P&P. We're not solving the problem, all we are doing is kicking the can down the road.
So it would've been better to keep the status quo for another 20 years? Peachtree-Pine was a cancer, ask anyone that lived/worked within 5 blocks of the warehouse how "self-contained" it really was.

Quote:
And please tell me how taking a contained problem and letting it loose on the whole city is helping anything?
Because now this city will have to actually confront the problem rather than having those homeless be hidden away in a TB-infested hellhole (which was kicking the can as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM

7,688 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Quote:
Then the city needs to get off of its ass and fix the problem.
Easy to say, but the question is how?

Social worker friends tell me that the only way someone ends up in a place like that shelter is if they fall out of the social welfare system, generally because they can't stay off drugs or refuse to take medications that keep their mental illnesses in check. So how do you solve that?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Easy to say, but the question is how?

Social worker friends tell me that the only way someone ends up in a place like that shelter is if they fall out of the social welfare system, generally because they can't stay off drugs or refuse to take medications that keep their mental illnesses in check. So how do you solve that?
Admittedly, and sadly, I have no idea.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
I hope you all don't get the Hep A problem we have now in S Cal.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,289,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I bike through there everyday, there have always been some homeless people, but nowhere near the extent that are there now. The police did clear it out, but that didn't last for too long. The number of homeless people there before it was cleared out was much less than now. Over the past month or so, there has been an exponential increase in people sleeping and using the bathroom under that overpass.
I live in that area. On average about 30 people on each side normally sleep under the bridge. Didn't see a huge increase

Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
So it would've been better to keep the status quo for another 20 years? Peachtree-Pine was a cancer, ask anyone that lived/worked within 5 blocks of the warehouse how "self-contained" it really was.

Because now this city will have to actually confront the problem rather than having those homeless be hidden away in a TB-infested hellhole (which was kicking the can as well).
I agree with that. The city does need to confront the issue, I just approach things from a different angle. On a larger picture type deal I don't think America will ever fully confront problems like these in order to really fix them. But that's a different topic for a different thread. For us locally I don't see a city like Atlanta that had an area like Buttermilk Bottoms still up and popping as recently as the 1960's, really doing anything to effectively fight this issue so my whole deal is why keep moving the problem around? If you're not going to fix it totally just keep the issue where it is and work around it

Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM

1,189 posts, read 733,787 times
Too bad the old Butler Street YMCA can't be repurposed to help the situation.

Maybe that building has too hallowed a history to be used in that way though.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Too bad the old Butler Street YMCA can't be repurposed to help the situation.

Maybe that building has too hallowed a history to be used in that way though.
Are they still planning on turning the Y into a concert hall? I haven't heard anything or seen any activity over there in a long time.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/12/1...venue-downtown

Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 PM

4,942 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Downtown/Midtown, fricking on top of Phillips Arena, that doesn't matter. Stop dissecting my post as my point is still the same. We just took a self contained problem and let it out all over the city. Been telling y'all for years the homeless folks at P&P were the same people who used to hang out around Techwood, they tore that down and they just moved east to P&P. We're not solving the problem, all we are doing is kicking the can down the road. And please tell me how taking a contained problem and letting it loose on the whole city is helping anything?

Edit- I was born right across the street at Crawford Long, which is now Emory Midtown, so you may not see it as Midtown, but clearly some of us do
Hear, hear. The city needs to take a hard look at how it manages its homeless situation. I wish this would become a bigger deal in the mayoral race.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,168 times
Quote:
And please tell me how taking a contained problem and letting it loose on the whole city is helping anything?
It's a problem either way, but before it was a problem you only knew about if you lived or work in the immediate vicinity of Peachtree and Pine St. There is no good kind of homelessness and it should be a major issue in the mayoral race (it's weird that affordable housing is, but homelessness is barely mentioned) but isolating it to one area didn't do anything and that shelter wasn't helping anyone who lived there; the problem isn't worse than it was 6 months ago, it's only more visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or