U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-28-2017, 03:13 PM
 
1,138 posts, read 1,760,293 times
Reputation: 1129

Advertisements

I've been using Arrow for the last 2.5 years and I'm really not happy.

Do you use a bug company that you really like a lot?

Thanks!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2017, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,558 posts, read 8,622,679 times
Reputation: 5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I've been using Arrow for the last 2.5 years and I'm really not happy.

Do you use a bug company that you really like a lot?

Thanks!

Alley
Northwest Exterminating has always done a good job for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 04:15 PM
 
1,138 posts, read 1,760,293 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Northwest Exterminating has always done a good job for me.
Thank you! Do you use them for a quarterly service? Can you share what they charge?

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 PM
 
7,690 posts, read 9,534,752 times
Reputation: 5657
I'll share the same tip that I share with everyone who asks this question...

I adore my exterminator and he does an excellent job, always ready when I need him and I know for a fact that his rates are the best anywhere and that he does the best job he can.

I know that because my exterminator is me. With the internet and places like all the do it yourself pest control stores, the pros really don't have access to anything better than you can get on your own. So I bought a plastic sprayer from Home Depot for $12 or whatever it was, and a bottle of my chemical of choice for $30 or so. It lasted me 3 years. All I do is spray outside where the house meets the foundation when necessary. I don't have a regular schedule because I want to limit my use of poison to only when necessary....when I see a bug, I spray the house. But I suppose I could make a schedule and do it every 2 or 3 months if I never wanted to see a bug.

So for a sprayer ($12) and the chemical ($30), I got 3 years of pest control for $42. Then the price went down because I had to buy a new bottle last year, but the sprayer is still good!

With Google and about an hour of research or with a 20 minute conversation at one of the do it yourself places, you can know a lot more than the average professional exterminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
VJP
 
Location: Decatur, GA
637 posts, read 1,399,308 times
Reputation: 461
^^ Ding ding ding. I started doing this 10 years ago when I bought my house. Probably saved 3-4k so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM
 
1,138 posts, read 1,760,293 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'll share the same tip that I share with everyone who asks this question...

I adore my exterminator and he does an excellent job, always ready when I need him and I know for a fact that his rates are the best anywhere and that he does the best job he can.

I know that because my exterminator is me. With the internet and places like all the do it yourself pest control stores, the pros really don't have access to anything better than you can get on your own. So I bought a plastic sprayer from Home Depot for $12 or whatever it was, and a bottle of my chemical of choice for $30 or so. It lasted me 3 years. All I do is spray outside where the house meets the foundation when necessary. I don't have a regular schedule because I want to limit my use of poison to only when necessary....when I see a bug, I spray the house. But I suppose I could make a schedule and do it every 2 or 3 months if I never wanted to see a bug.

So for a sprayer ($12) and the chemical ($30), I got 3 years of pest control for $42. Then the price went down because I had to buy a new bottle last year, but the sprayer is still good!

With Google and about an hour of research or with a 20 minute conversation at one of the do it yourself places, you can know a lot more than the average professional exterminator.

Okay, this is really exciting to me. I'd love to not pay $88 quarterly. But here's the thing: I'm from CA. Georgia bugs are really scary for me.

I've been here 2.5 years now and the very first thing I did -- I'm not kidding -- was set up my Arrow account. I'm all for doing the bug work myself using Home Defense from Home Depot, but I need a little hand holding: you promise a giganto roach won't attack me in the middle of the night?!

I don't think we even had roaches in CA -- none that I ever saw. (This isn't a "CA is better thread because it's not and I don't miss it at all).

What did you spray inside once or twice a year?

Thank you again!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 PM
 
7,690 posts, read 9,534,752 times
Reputation: 5657
You need to do a little research and buy stronger chemicals than Home Depot sells. It all depends what your problem bugs are. I use bifenthrin because it's one of the few pesticides that works on centipedes, which was the problem I was initially having. The chemical that is right for you will depend on your situation.

I mean....I can't GUARANTEE a roach won't ever enter your house (I CAN guarantee it won't attack you in the middle of the night, though). The idea of spraying is to create a perimeter around your home that bugs don't want to cross. But in the summer if you open a door and a roach runs in, it's going to be around a while. Those things are strong and no chemical kills them right away. For the most part, though, they shouldn't want to come near your home.

I never spray inside. I just do the outside. That should be all you need unless you are on a crawl space and they come up from there or if they somehow come in through the attic, maybe. But start with outside, spray where the home meets the foundation. I also sometimes spray around windows if I see bugs coming in there.

Having said that, it's extremely important to keep your termite bond with Arrow. You just don't need quarterly extermination, most likely.

BTW, it's also extremely difficult to keep spiders out. Chemicals don't really work well on them, but if you don't have any bugs, you just sort of organically won't have spiders because there is nothing for them to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM
 
227 posts, read 531,558 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
With Google and about an hour of research or with a 20 minute conversation at one of the do it yourself places, you can know a lot more than the average professional exterminator.
I'll second this. I've been doing my own for about 10 years now. There's a place on the Internet called doyourownpestcontrol.com with a store over on Chamblee-Tucker neat I-85, where you can buy the same stuff the pros are using. My HOA has sent professional termite guys by periodically, and one of them saw bottles of the stuff I have and said it was what they used. But since I'm not worried about heavily diluting it or using it sparingly to keep my expenses low, I mix things at the max dilution and I spray along all walls/crevices, not just in corners like I have seen paid guys do.

The only thing I'd add is if you need to spray distances (like maybe you have those bees that burrow into wood up high or you have a crawlspace), skip the Home Depot/Lowe's sprayers -- they're pretty weak. Spend the $200 or so and get a super-powerful one at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. It doesn't need to be powered. I have a hand-pump backpack sprayer that will shoot 20 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,558 posts, read 8,622,679 times
Reputation: 5063
Be sure to use stuff that can’t harm your pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top