U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It depends on what you want. I know a fellow who who commutes down to the Perimeter from the mountains, and another one who drives up to Buckhead from Alabama. Another guy commutes from Athens to the airport, and another lives in Milton and runs a business off the South Fulton Parkway. All of them will tell you that in their opinion it's worth every minute. The drive is when they kick back, listen to music or talk radio, enjoy the scenery and generally decompress.
These are good points.

I had a friend who used to commute from Cedartown (out in rural/exurban Polk County along Highway 278-6 near the Georgia-Alabama state line) to south of the Airport everyday.

(...He loved living out in rural/outer-exurban Polk County but eventually grew tired of the nearly 70-mile, 1-hour, 20-minute plus commute each way, each workday and moved back to Marietta in Southwest Cobb County.)

I had another friend who used to commute from Macon to the Atlanta Airport everyday (...a commute of about 1 hour, 10-20 minutes each way when traffic conditions are good; longer when conditions are not good, which is not infrequently along the stretch of I-75 that links Macon with Atlanta).

I also knew of a guy that commuted between Murphy, North Carolina and the erstwhile-General Motors plant in Doraville (a commute of over 2 hours and 120 miles each way) for about 30 years.

It should be noted that all three of the aforementioned parties either used to conduct their commutes outside of peak traffic hours (the Cedartown and Murphy, NC commutes were conducted before morning rush hour) or as 'reverse-commute' (the Macon-ATL Airport commute was made inbound during the afternoon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:20 AM

789 posts, read 640,163 times
Your best bet for a mix of Urban, public transit, and rural is 30331 SW Fulton county off Cascade rd or Camp Creek area off Camp Creek Pwky.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 AM

27,716 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i agree honestly. it's a shame that our entire economy now is basically being led around by the big corporations and living wherever they want you to live. imagine how nice it would be if people just lived where they wanted to first, and then built a livelihood around that; unfortunately, you can't start a small business anymore because in so many industries you're competing with the global economy and are going to get crushed. imagine trying to start your own grocery store or electronics store for example, it just can't be done anymore. so everywhere ends up having the same big companies and what used to be a unique and different economy and culture with every new town has turned into a coast-to-coast rat race where everything is the same in every town and you don't stand a chance striking out on your own. it's really destroyed the sense of community.
Ummmm...the only reason being given for living close to where you work in Atlanta is traffic. In many other places you can live farther from work and not have to worry about a lengthy commute but that's not the case in Atlanta (and other major metros).

Old 10-14-2017, 06:09 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm...the only reason being given for living close to where you work in Atlanta is traffic. In many other places you can live farther from work and not have to worry about a lengthy commute but that's not the case in Atlanta (and other major metros).
i mean, the OP can't stay in virginia. they have to move to the atlanta metro. people get moved around by the forces of the economy all of the time.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,252 times
Hi,

Sorry, its been a while since I checked back. Lots of drama in the office :-( My choices seem limited and need to prepare for this lifestyle change. Given the currently volatility of this company, it may be best to rent for a while close to office and see where the chips land. In this day and age, I guess you gotta keep your interests mobile.

I really appreciate all of the good feedback!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,892,029 times
wouldn"t it be nice if you can commute from Roanoke on a private plane? there problem solved

Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM

27,716 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i mean, the OP can't stay in virginia. they have to move to the atlanta metro. people get moved around by the forces of the economy all of the time.
Of course, but if you don't want to spend a huge chunk of your time in a car, initially it will be prudent to make the choice where you live in connection to where you work in a major metro like Atlanta. Of course the dynamic would be different if the OP chooses somewhere to live near a MARTA line and his/her job is similarly located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or