U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,793 times
Reputation: 140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How do you know they were up to 'no good'? I mean it was beautiful weather, why can kids and residents of the community not hang outside? If they were white, would you have felt any different?
You are correct in the WST starts at Lionel Hampton Trail, which connects to Ashby Station.
https://martaguide.com/2014/07/30/ma...estside-trail/
When kids are just standing in a group together smoking and talking profanities to people when they walk out of Marta they are definitely up to no good. I have been robbed by similar kids that hang out in packs before at O4W park a few years ago.

I never said they were white or black. You presumed I described a race? HMMM. I don't care if they are white or black when you see a bunch of young kids just hanging out at place and talking profanities, smoking you have to be observant of them. We just ignored them of course and went on walking down the road but it definitely gave us a bad first impression. I can see if the kids are outside at the park doing exercise or having fun playing ball but just hanging out at a Marta stop smoking and talking profanities to anybody who passes is not a good sign.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Reputation: 3012
I went Saturday afternoon and and it had a steady set of people walking it. Nothing like the EST now, but not far off from when it first opened.

The disconnections in the trail are bad. It needs to be connected between Lawton and Cascade even if it is just dirt for now. I followed the roadside path too long and it took me most of a mile going along side the trail before I finally found a dirt path to connect back over to the main route.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 10:41 AM
 
1,546 posts, read 2,540,794 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
My wife and I got off at the Ashby Marta and was going to walk over there but after getting off that stop we saw a bunch of young kids just standing around and talking junk to us so we decided basically to go back. We asked a few people where the trail was but nobody seemed to know anything about it. Even the police officer had no idea. He did direct us to streets were the trail was supposed to start but we decided it wasn't a safe area to walk. What part of the Westside trail is safe to walk? I always just see groups of kids hanging out on the west side doing no good and don't feel it is a place I would feel comfortable walking especially with my wife.
Next time, just get off at the West End Station.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM
 
1,546 posts, read 2,540,794 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I went Saturday afternoon and and it had a steady set of people walking it. Nothing like the EST now, but not far off from when it first opened.

The disconnections in the trail are bad. It needs to be connected between Lawton and Cascade even if it is just dirt for now. I followed the roadside path too long and it took me most of a mile going along side the trail before I finally found a dirt path to connect back over to the main route.
This is a common mistake. You have to turn at Brown Middle School (or the 0 Mile Marker). That will lead you across the Lawton St. bridge and back on the Beltline. Maybe they will post more signs to guide people in the near future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,793 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Next time, just get off at the West End Station.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think heading out during sunset was the smartest thing for us to do but I was curious how the west side trail was turning out and to get some exercise.

We ended up just getting off the Inman park stop and walking over to Krog Street Market to get some Sushi and then some ice cream close to the eastside trail.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post

I never said they were white or black. You presumed I described a race? HMMM. .
Let's be real. White kids don't hang out around Ashby Station.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:29 PM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,199 posts, read 1,489,168 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
When kids are just standing in a group together smoking and talking profanities to people when they walk out of Marta they are definitely up to no good.
Jesus Christ, maybe they're just being teenagers; I know me and my friends spent plenty of time smoking, talking profanities, and standing around in public when I was growing up in the suburbs. I'm guessing cqh assumed the kids are black because your comment sounds like it was written by a white adult who fears black kids.

By your standards, none of the Westside trail is safe, and don't even think about taking the Eastside trail south of Inman Park.

For those who aren't afraid of teenagers, Urban Explorers of Atlanta has a great set of videos on their YouTube channel that shows you how to get to the westside trail from various locations. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvb...6q8hXIA/videos
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
For those who aren't afraid of teenagers, Urban Explorers of Atlanta has a great set of videos on their YouTube channel that shows you how to get to the westside trail from various locations. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvb...6q8hXIA/videos
Oh great, now I've got MORE to watch in the evenings. I'll never get through my shows at this rate!

I didn't know this channel existed, but I've been hoping for something kinda like it. A Londonist of the ATL kinda deal. This might be it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,793 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Jesus Christ, maybe they're just being teenagers; I know me and my friends spent plenty of time smoking, talking profanities, and standing around in public when I was growing up in the suburbs. I'm guessing cqh assumed the kids are black because your comment sounds like it was written by a white adult who fears black kids.

By your standards, none of the Westside trail is safe, and don't even think about taking the Eastside trail south of Inman Park.

For those who aren't afraid of teenagers, Urban Explorers of Atlanta has a great set of videos on their YouTube channel that shows you how to get to the westside trail from various locations. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvb...6q8hXIA/videos
This is not a race thing as you don't know anything about me. This is about my wife getting disrespected by some some kids by sexual profanities said to her. She and I both felt uncomfortable with the situation and decided to leave. I can deal with somethings but not when anybody disrespects my wife or any female I'm with. If it was just me I could tough it out and just keep moving but I'm not going to put my wife through that if I can help myself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 05:19 PM
 
28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Reputation: 9523
Hopefully the Westside trail will get the same breathless attention that the Eastside trail gets.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top