U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 AM

5,401 posts, read 2,724,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hopefully the Westside trail will get the same breathless attention that the Eastside trail gets.
It just needs some time. The Eastside Trail wasn't what it is today form day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
I hope the Westside trail never becomes like the Eaststide trail. Terrible, overpriced restaurants everywhere, people doing everything in their power to be seen. Westside doesn't need or deserve that. Let it grow and develop in a way that serves the needs of the neighborhood, and provides a missing amenity that improves the lives of the residents.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 7,082 times
My friends and I took the trail this past Saturday evening. We started it at the University Avenue entrance in Adair Park. All in all, I liked the trail. It was way more laid back and like jsvh said above, feels similar to when the eastside trail first opened. I've been seeing the unpaved portion of this trail from riding marta for several years so it was cool to finally get to walk on that same trail and under those marta tracks. What was also cool was all the old school Atlanta graffiti that was still riding under those tunnels. Though it'll probably get covered up by vibrant murals soon enough, it was great to get a glimpse of past Atlanta street art. I also like the light industrial feel during certain sections in Adair Park and the West End. I'm not gonna lie, I was confused when the trail reached Lawton Street. I assumed the trail was going to pass behind Donnelly Gardens although I did see the dirt path that I thought was the planned direction of the trail; I'll probably take that way next time. After passing under Lucile Avenue, the trail has more nature surrounding it which I liked. It was different walking next to smaller and older homes compared to the newer apartments and townhouses on the eastside trail. There was a solid amount of people on the trail as well. There was more room on the trail since it was less crowded so there were several group of kids from the surrounding neighborhoods who were speeding by on their bikes with their friends. One of their bike chains tragically broke when they were speeding down one of the hills on the trail lol. What I love is that the trail drops you off on Lena Street which is a short straight shot to the Ashby Marta station. The eastside trail does the same with 10th street and the Midtown station but the walk is farther and includes hills and more crossing intersections. The eastside trail feels much different than it did when it first opened 5 years ago and I expect this section of the beltline to feel different in the coming years as well. What we need next is for the southside portion to get started so that the west and east sides of town can be connected! I've been on the southside trail from University Avenue to Glenwood Avenue before and I'm very excited at the possibilities with this section. Make that happen asap!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 AM

693 posts, read 260,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I hope the Westside trail never becomes like the Eaststide trail. Terrible, overpriced restaurants everywhere, people doing everything in their power to be seen. Westside doesn't need or deserve that. Let it grow and develop in a way that serves the needs of the neighborhood, and provides a missing amenity that improves the lives of the residents.

Restaurants that are terrible and overpriced don't tend to stay open very long. Sounds like you don't want anyone having fun on the beltline. The beltline will be an asset to the Westside regardless of what you want to happen.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 AM

149 posts, read 123,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It just needs some time. The Eastside Trail wasn't what it is today form day one.

I miss those days. You could actually use the beltline to commute on a bike.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:21 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Restaurants that are terrible and overpriced don't tend to stay open very long. Sounds like you don't want anyone having fun on the beltline. The beltline will be an asset to the Westside regardless of what you want to happen.
Tell that to Beetle Cat, BarTaco, and Pure Taqueria.

What did I say that would make you think I don't want people to have fun? I literally said the exact opposite of that in the post you quoted: "A missing amenity that improves the lives of the residents." How is that different than what you said?: "An asset to the Westside."

Sounds like you have an axe to grind and you're looking to be antagonistic for no reason.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
I like that the portion north of 20 feels like a cart trail in PTC as it runs between houses in traditional SFH neighborhoods.

The disconnect in the path is very poorly executed, not Beltline quality at all. Anyone know why exactly can't they utilize the corridor ROW b/t Cascade and Lawton?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I like that the portion north of 20 feels like a cart trail in PTC as it runs between houses in traditional SFH neighborhoods.

The disconnect in the path is very poorly executed, not Beltline quality at all. Anyone know why exactly can't they utilize the corridor ROW b/t Cascade and Lawton?
Not wide enough for both transit and trail. Need to purchase additional property from nearby parcels.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:53 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
I wish they could do some sort of interim path.

Speaking of trail and transit in harmony, it seems like in a few places along the trail the path itself skews towards the middle of the ROW. I'm no engineer, but it seems like those spots are not allowing any room for transit. Since the engineering for transit isn't done, I wonder if / how much of the trail they will have to tear down and rebuild.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I wish they could do some sort of interim path.

Speaking of trail and transit in harmony, it seems like in a few places along the trail the path itself skews towards the middle of the ROW. I'm no engineer, but it seems like those spots are not allowing any room for transit. Since the engineering for transit isn't done, I wonder if / how much of the trail they will have to tear down and rebuild.
When the built this section, they included room for quick and easy transit implementation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or