U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 1,559 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I am a mother of 3 and married to a dominican who speaks some english, i am a certified medical assistant and am an event decorator. My husband is an asbestos worker and has been for the past 6 years. I have been dreaming of moving to Ga for over 10 years and always back out on it for different reasons. I obsess about it and really have been planning on moving on really moving for june 2018. My goal is to go in November and check it out! GA has been my dream, i hate where i live education here is horrible, the crime level is insane, i hate the weather i hate my life here im misserable!! Then you ask what stopping me, well my husband is scared because of his language barrier, his job is really good here and he doesnt know english that good.... my questions are...

PLEASE I NEED HELP IN ANSWERING THESE honestly!!!

1. does any one know anyone that works asbestos near Lawrenceville GA?
2. School system IN Gwinett county?
3. Should i take my event planning buisiness over there?
4. Should i go and get a job as an MA there?
5. How is rent in Lawrenceville?
6. How has the rent changed in the past year and how does anyone estimate to change within a year?
7. My credit is on 620 is that enough to get an aproval for a home over there?

Please i need these answered im soo miserable here i hate it here look up the crime..
Lawrence Ma 01841!! its no joke, ppl are out here getting shot no joke every 3 days!! kids getting killed at bus stops.!!!! HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica-carela View Post
Good Afternoon,

I am a mother of 3 and married to a dominican who speaks some english, i am a certified medical assistant and am an event decorator. My husband is an asbestos worker and has been for the past 6 years. I have been dreaming of moving to Ga for over 10 years and always back out on it for different reasons. I obsess about it and really have been planning on moving on really moving for june 2018. My goal is to go in November and check it out! GA has been my dream, i hate where i live education here is horrible, the crime level is insane, i hate the weather i hate my life here im misserable!! Then you ask what stopping me, well my husband is scared because of his language barrier, his job is really good here and he doesnt know english that good.... my questions are...

PLEASE I NEED HELP IN ANSWERING THESE honestly!!!
Quote:
1. does any one know anyone that works asbestos near Lawrenceville GA?
I personally don't know anyone that works in asbestos, but I will remark that (if possible) it might would help greatly if he could find employment in Georgia before relocating from Massachusetts to Georgia. His limited English speaking ability likely will make searching for a job out-of-state a definite challenge.

Quote:
2. School system IN Gwinett county?
The schools are generally excellent overall in the school systems that serve Gwinnett County (the large Gwinnett County Public Schools system and the small Buford City Schools system). The Gwinnett County Public Schools system is widely regarded by many national education experts as being one of the best large urban/suburban public school systems in the entire country.

Quote:
3. Should i take my event planning buisiness over there?
You probably would be very well served in moving your event planning business to a metro Atlanta market that is known to be a high-growth market and a good place to network, find new customers and grow a small business.

The explosive growth in the Atlanta metro area of such high-paying industries as Technology and Television/Film Production as well as large existing Law/Legal Service, Financial Service and Music Production sectors as well as metro Atlanta's status as a small business networking hub should give your event planning business much opportunity for growth.

Quote:
4. Should i go and get a job as an MA there?
You probably should seek to find and obtain a job as a Medical Assistant BEFORE moving to Atlanta.

In an Atlanta metro area with rising living costs, you are going to need as much income as you can get.

Quote:
5. How is rent in Lawrenceville?
6. How has the rent changed in the past year and how does anyone estimate to change within a year?
Rents have been on a steady (and sometimes steep) rise over the last 2-3 years or so in what has been an increasingly competitive rental market throughout much of the Atlanta area.

Some of the lowest rents that I have been able to find are about just under or about $700/month in some of the more transient parts of Gwinnett County, and even those apartments seem to have limited availability ...That's probably because even the "worst" school districts/clusters in the Gwinnett County Public Schools system are considered by many to be markedly better than districts/clusters in many (if not most) school systems in the country.

Generally you will find rents starting at about $700/month for a one bedroom apartment and starting around in the neighborhood of $1,000/month and UP for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.

Quote:
7. My credit is on 620 is that enough to get an aproval for a home over there?
You would have to consult a home loan/mortgage officer at an institution or organization at which you would be seeking a home loan or mortgage to get that information.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,639,295 times
There are many great and some not so great schools in Gwinnett, especially Lawranceville. You need to price rents in areas with the better schools, to have a better idea about affordability. Are there towns a little bit further from your husband’s work that might improve your situation?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 1,559 times
Thanks you guys!!!, i have been trying to seek employment for my husband to get a job in asbestos over there, however At this point im just looking to see if he can find something anything! Just last night as i was writing on this forum there was a shooting outside my home!! i feel like i have to look out for my safety as well as my children's i dont feel safe at all. Moving is basically the only way out. I am planning on going to GA in November for 5 days do you recommend any hotels near lawrenceville? somewhere i can explore and seek for answers... I really appreciate you guys help this is soo tough and at this point its the only choice i have! I have a friend who lives in lawrenceville but she is more of a party girl im more of a family girl so i would get the answers i need from people like you guys so again im soo thankful for your opinions and helpful hints.

Quick question as you probably already know im spanish how is the different cultures overthere is there a mix? over here New Hampshire is a state i try not to even go to there are soo many racism going on its scary it goes from kids all the way to authorities that is another thing its ppls remarks or people looking at you a certain way its so uncomfortable to even go food shopping without having negative comments or the looks so how is it over there?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys!!!, i have been trying to seek employment for my husband to get a job in asbestos over there, however At this point im just looking to see if he can find something anything! Just last night as i was writing on this forum there was a shooting outside my home!! i feel like i have to look out for my safety as well as my children's i dont feel safe at all. Moving is basically the only way out. I am planning on going to GA in November for 5 days do you recommend any hotels near lawrenceville? somewhere i can explore and seek for answers... I really appreciate you guys help this is soo tough and at this point its the only choice i have! I have a friend who lives in lawrenceville but she is more of a party girl im more of a family girl so i would get the answers i need from people like you guys so again im soo thankful for your opinions and helpful hints.

Quick question as you probably already know im spanish how is the different cultures overthere is there a mix? over here New Hampshire is a state i try not to even go to there are soo many racism going on its scary it goes from kids all the way to authorities that is another thing its ppls remarks or people looking at you a certain way its so uncomfortable to even go food shopping without having negative comments or the looks so how is it over there?
With very large Hispanic/Latino, Asian and Black populations, Gwinnett County has an exceptionally diverse overall population (...Gwinnett County is one of the most diverse counties in the entire U.S.) in which racial and ethnic minorities make up over 60% of the population of the suburban county.

Neighboring DeKalb and North Fulton counties also have very diverse populations while neighboring Hall County to the north along I-985 has a very large Hispanic/Latino population because of the presence of the very large poultry processing industry there.

Beyond the intense diversity of the Northeast Atlanta metro region (in North DeKalb, North Fulton, Gwinnett and Hall counties), Georgia is generally a somewhat provincial state with deeply conservative politics.

Like in other fairly provincial Sunbelt states with changing demographics in the current political climate (like Arizona in particular), people of Hispanic/Latino descent potentially may receive extra scrutiny over their citizenship immigration status on any occasions when they might have to interact with police, particularly in counties like Gwinnett and Hall in Northeast metro Atlanta and Northeast Georgia and in counties like Cobb in Northwest metro Atlanta and Northwest Georgia.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,639,295 times
I would pay a little more or accept less for housing, if that gets you into a better school zone. Since you have no time to really research schools. Use http://greatschools.org or https://www.schooldigger.com as a guide. They have school ratings and demographic information. I think there are some majority Hispanic schools that are ok, but most of the best schools in the county are pretty diverse with significant Hispanic populations, so you might look at those instead.
*If* you have jobs in the area, Gwinnett could be a good fit for you.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,792,997 times
I would just caution you against coming here thinking you could make a living as an events planner, unless you have great contacts. I say this, because my boss, a life-long resident who seems to know everybody and anybody, got out of that business 6 years ago when the corporate open wallets dried up.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:11 PM

348 posts, read 397,866 times
you won't solve all of your problems just by moving to ATL. Keep in mind that while ATL is a diverse place, GA is a red state without the same type of social safety net that you have in a place like MA. If you don't have ties to the area I would proceed with caution.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 AM

13,103 posts, read 15,911,562 times
You sound like the ideal relocation / newcomer to Gwinnett County, which (as others have said) has a remarkably diverse population, excellent schools and many employment opportunities. All that said, don't just pack up and move down without doing your due diligence and having a plan in place -- jobs, housing, transportation etc. Too many people, unfortunately, move to Metro Atlanta thinking the streets are paved with gold and the "good life" just falls in your lap. While some people do, indeed, get lucky and find fame and fortune right off the bus, most newcomers have to rely on local friends, relatives or other close contacts to find their way. Metro Atlanta is a great place to live as long as you keep an even and realistic attitude.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:40 AM

109 posts, read 89,570 times
Quote:

Gwinnett is one of the most diverse counties in Georgia. There is a fairly sized Dominican population there as well but you can find them all over metro Atlanta. The majority came here with your mindset (work, safety and better education for kids) and continue to pursue those goals. I would imagine that with so many Spanish speakers in Gwinnett your husband will fit right in however in order to secure a better future for his family he must work on improving his English skills.

Keep in mind that things in Atlanta are not as fast paced as Lawrence. You will find everything you need here but you will have to drive (no bodegas to walk to).

I strongly suggest that you try and secure a job before moving here to alleviate the financial strain
moving involves. I think your chances of finding a job as a medical assistant here are
pretty good.

I also suggest that you rent for at least a year to give you enough time to decide on schools and permanent living. Atlanta is so diverse and the population continues to grow which can change the dynamics of your school from one semester to the next.

It makes a world of difference when you know your kids are safe and getting a quality education.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta