Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 11,949 times

Advertisements

For years I've wanted to live somewhere very quiet and peaceful. I've live in the city all my life and currently live in South Florida. While I love the weather in SFL, I prefer to live somewhere I can see the mountains without it being disgustingly cold. I have two children, one lives in Orlando and the other graduating high school in June and going off to college. I am at the point where I am ready to make the big move once my son is off to college next fall.
I've been looking at Helen, GA, because I love the fact that its a small town and near the mountains. I have to be honest and say I no absolutely nothing about Georgia. I came across Helen, GA via Google small town search and really like what I'm reading about the place.
I'm 49 years old and have my own business, which I do mostly at home. That said, where ever I live, as long as there's internet, I will be fine.
With all the above said, I am looking for some guidance on the best little town to move to near the mountains in Georgia, price of living is not high, the nearest hospital and grocery store is not over 15 miles away and that, as a single woman, I can feel comfortable with my surroundings.
I like what I am reading about Helen, but would also entertain other options. I'm planning on making a trip soon and would like to visit other similar areas nearby.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 05:53 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success2 View Post
For years I've wanted to live somewhere very quiet and peaceful. I've live in the city all my life and currently live in South Florida. While I love the weather in SFL, I prefer to live somewhere I can see the mountains without it being disgustingly cold. I have two children, one lives in Orlando and the other graduating high school in June and going off to college. I am at the point where I am ready to make the big move once my son is off to college next fall.
I've been looking at Helen, GA, because I love the fact that its a small town and near the mountains. I have to be honest and say I no absolutely nothing about Georgia. I came across Helen, GA via Google small town search and really like what I'm reading about the place.
I'm 49 years old and have my own business, which I do mostly at home. That said, where ever I live, as long as there's internet, I will be fine.
With all the above said, I am looking for some guidance on the best little town to move to near the mountains in Georgia, price of living is not high, the nearest hospital and grocery store is not over 15 miles away and that, as a single woman, I can feel comfortable with my surroundings.
I like what I am reading about Helen, but would also entertain other options. I'm planning on making a trip soon and would like to visit other similar areas nearby.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
I think you'd like Helen a lot. Also, look at Blue Ridge and Blairsville. I've lived part time in Blue Ridge for about a decade, and it is an absolutely wonderful town.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Helen is cool, but a little tourist gimmick-y. You might actually prefer Dahlonega, or Elijay.

There is a Georgia forum above the Atlanta forum where you might find more North GA locals who can chime in.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think you'd like Helen a lot. Also, look at Blue Ridge and Blairsville. I've lived part time in Blue Ridge for about a decade, and it is an absolutely wonderful town.
Indeed, Blairsville/Young Harris/Hiawasee is a really cool corridor. Charming mountain towns and scenery.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
helen is a little gimmicky but it's also safer for minorities. blue ridge is not really a safe place for people of color and trans or gender non-comforming people. if you're white and straight you probably haven't experienced what i'm talking about, but that is one corner of the state that is not exactly welcoming to nonwhite people.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
That's not what the AJC says....

http://www.accessatlanta.com/events/...mKjsNjbcsb8WJ/

Plus, the OP never said she cared if it was a good place for gays or minorities.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
helen is a little gimmicky but it's also safer for minorities. blue ridge is not really a safe place for people of color and trans or gender non-comforming people. if you're white and straight you probably haven't experienced what i'm talking about, but that is one corner of the state that is not exactly welcoming to nonwhite people.
Don’t know how much time you’ve spent in Blue Ridge, but you are wrong here, and I mostly agree with your posts.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
i spent some time there 5 years ago. maybe things have changed since then, but i remember a lot of sideways glances, it being the HQ for the georgia KKK, and a street festival with the theme "get obama out of the white house". maybe it has changed but that was enough for me to decide that it wasn't the place for me. also i got a rep point for that post, so i'm apparently not alone in my experiences. i have a few black friends that also have had some less-than-friendly experiences in blue ridge.

also white gay friendly doesn't correlate to black friendly or trans friendly anymore, even if it did 15 or 20 years ago. look at milo yiannopolous, got popular late last year... essentially a gay nazi and very racist, anti-trans.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
also white gay friendly doesn't correlate to black friendly or trans friendly anymore, even if it did 15 or 20 years ago. look at milo yiannopolous, got popular late last year... essentially a gay nazi and very racist, anti-trans.
Well, you do make a very good and valid point here. I hadn’t really thought of it that way.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM

288 posts, read 958,901 times
Quote:
i spent some time there 5 years ago. maybe things have changed since then, but i remember a lot of sideways glances, it being the HQ for the georgia KKK, and a street festival with the theme "get obama out of the white house". maybe it has changed but that was enough for me to decide that it wasn't the place for me. also i got a rep point for that post, so i'm apparently not alone in my experiences. i have a few black friends that also have had some less-than-friendly experiences in blue ridge.

Sounds like our current situation with "impeach Trump", nobody is ever happy with the president lol. I never noticed Blue ridge being kkk land, although I think anywhere in north Georgia your gonna run into the good ole boy redneck crowd and they don't always seem like the most accepting of minorities, not sure about their views on gays, deliverance come to mind anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta