Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,518 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I came across this website while browsing the internet for information about Conyers. My husband and I (along with our soon to be 9-yr old son)are planning on relocating from Scottsdale, AZ no later than this October. I don't really know any hospitals out there in particular or where to begin looking for a position as a registered/certified respiratory therapist. My other concern is of course what schools are like out there and safety issues. I have viewed some of the properties out there and they seem much more affordable than out here in AZ. Any suggestions on which area could be better than another, school district, and what's the quality of life out there? I am both excited and a bit apprehensive about moving although I have heard great things about the state of GA itself. Your replies will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Can't really address the school question...the city itself has retained its' small town flavor; beyond the city, the area is very typically suburban Atlanta.
It's about 25 minutes from downtown (on a good day).

Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,518 times
Thanks for the feedback. The whole "25 minutes from Atl on a good day" sounds somewhat intimidating having endured Los Angeles's horrific traffic prior to moving to AZ. I have a feeling I will end up working in some hospital in Atl. that's why.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,190,933 times
My wife's cousin lives in Conyers. It definitely has that small-town feel to it. I've been there a few times, and it mostly looks run-down and old to me. There is a definite lack of good restaurants too. Coming from Scottsdale, you might not enjoy life there.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM

94 posts, read 355,224 times
We used to live in Conyers and I commuted to Buckhead each day (my husband was commuting to Augusta at the time) - and on an average day that commute was at least an hour. I think the 25 minutes is on a weekend with no traffic problems! Conyers always had a bit of a strip mall feel to me - maybe it was just the exit we lived on that was dominated by the Super Wal-Mart, but that being said there were plenty of places to shop and eat without having to go too far. Security wise, we never had a problem and it is a pretty safe area. Not sure about schools as we didn't have kids at the time. There is also a great golf course - Cherokee Run - if you happen to play.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,316 times
Default Please consider other areas.............

We have lived in Conyers for 10 years. When we moved here, it was a quiet diverse suburb, detached from Atlanta. We loved it. Then they put in a huge mall, tons of subdivisions and businesses that joined us to the big city. That mall just got a wonderful write up because of its increasing crime. We are currently getting ready to put our house on the market and get out of Rockdale County. My neighborhood was really great, safe and everyone knew everyone. That is no longer the case. My neighbors have moved away or are moving away. Crime is seriously on the rise. I had a Rockdale Sherrif recently stop when I was outside to point out all the gang members that now live in our neighborhood, one being in the corner house on our street. He stated that gang activity has heightened in Rockdale and to stay safe. I almost passed out!

I have two kids in grade school here and I notice how much the school has changed and is going down hill. I know my kids are not getting a quality education. The one thing the school is now lacking is the student / teacher / parent relationship. MY OPINION is that the administration makes decisions without teacher input and is seriously flawed. The children suffer because of it.

Hospitals in the area are Rockdale Hospital and down the road a bit in Covington is Newton Medical Center who is affiliated with Emory.

I would suggest looking in Morgan County (Madison) or east Newton County. They are close enough to restaurants, stores, and the hospitals I have mentioned. More importantly, these areas have good schools.

Good luck with your decision. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM

129 posts, read 656,407 times
All I think about with Conyers is this.....frontline: the lost children of rockdale county: excerpt from this film

"The lost Children of Rockdale County" ......There are soo many better places to live IMHO..

Old 10-08-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,409 times
Default Conyers

Did you ever move to Conyers - if so, was it a mistake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta