U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM
 
55 posts, read 35,757 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

I've applied for a position with a start up tech company based out of Atlanta. I do not live in Atlanta but live in another state on the east coast, I went through three tough phone interviews and I had to submit a presentation. I feel very confident they will make an offer. The conversations have lead in that direction. The salary pays very well and I'm very much interested. I'm just concerned because I haven't had a face to face interview. Should I be concerned about that? There is information about them online including their website but it's not a lot of info. Is that common for start ups? They have one location and opening up a 2nd location. I guess I'm just concerned because I haven't had a face to face interview. Aside all of that, everything else appears to be legit. I don't know, what do you think? They offer great benefits and are paying for my relocation if offered the position. Should I be concerned? I decided that if they offer me the position, I would request to meet them in person to meet the team and the facilities. Truth be known for all I know, they may request I do the same before they offer it to me. Like I said, they haven't offered it to me just yet. It just seems like they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,564 posts, read 8,625,825 times
Reputation: 5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz222 View Post
I've applied for a position with a start up tech company based out of Atlanta. I do not live in Atlanta but live in another state on the east coast, I went through three tough phone interviews and I had to submit a presentation. I feel very confident they will make an offer. The conversations have lead in that direction. The salary pays very well and I'm very much interested. I'm just concerned because I haven't had a face to face interview. Should I be concerned about that? There is information about them online including their website but it's not a lot of info. Is that common for start ups? They have one location and opening up a 2nd location. I guess I'm just concerned because I haven't had a face to face interview. Aside all of that, everything else appears to be legit. I don't know, what do you think? They offer great benefits and are paying for my relocation if offered the position. Should I be concerned? I decided that if they offer me the position, I would request to meet them in person to meet the team and the facilities. Truth be known for all I know, they may request I do the same before they offer it to me. Like I said, they haven't offered it to me just yet. It just seems like they will.
Were I you, I would reach out to them and ask the question. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times
Reputation: 1967
I got two positions throughout my career without them actually seeing me face to face. These weren't no bs jobs either. These jobs required a HIGH level security clearance. I think they assume you are a safe candidate based off your resume and interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:37 PM
 
55 posts, read 35,757 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I got two positions throughout my career without them actually seeing me face to face. I think they assume you are a safe candidate based off your resume and interview
LOL Well I know I'm a safe candidate. I'm more concerned that they are a safe employer. At the end of the day, I take the risk of moving out of state, quitting my job, giving up my apartment. I guess it's nice to know that someone was hired without a face to face interview and everything worked out just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:49 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz222 View Post
LOL Well I know I'm a safe candidate. I'm more concerned that they are a safe employer. At the end of the day, I take the risk of moving out of state, quitting my job, giving up my apartment. I guess it's nice to know that someone was hired without a face to face interview and everything worked out just fine.


They do that all the time especially if you aren't in the same city as the job. No need to worry.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,942 posts, read 2,909,809 times
Reputation: 3178
I started recently for a job here in Atlanta, but my boss and the rest of my team (and half the company) in California. My interviews were conducted via Skype. It went fine. I got hired.

Mainly they're interested in your background check, and qualifications and attitude and how you answer their questions and such.

2 months later, I still haven't actually met in person most the people that I work with every day, but there's really no need. Most of our meetings are video enabled so we get some of the "face to face" familiarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM
 
55 posts, read 35,757 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I started recently for a job here in Atlanta, but my boss and the rest of my team (and half the company) in California. My interviews were conducted via Skype. It went fine. I got hired.

Mainly they're interested in your background check, and qualifications and attitude and how you answer their questions and such.

2 months later, I still haven't actually met in person most the people that I work with every day, but there's really no need. Most of our meetings are video enabled so we get some of the "face to face" familiarity.
Thanks. So I'm reading a lot of different forums on this topic. It turns out that many people have been hired via phone without face to face interviews and it was more common among people who were out of state. Of course there were some that believe it's important to see where you work and who you work for. But I think suggesting a Skype interview won't be a bad idea even if I don't get that face to face in person interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 PM
 
2,162 posts, read 1,040,492 times
Reputation: 1651
I believe so. I only wanted to enquire about volunteering for a company and the phone interview turned into a job interview. There was an in-person interview but I think I already had it in the bag from the phone interview. It depends on your skills and how badly they need you. If they don't need you so much or your skills aren't exactly what they're looking for, they may want to interview you in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 01:23 PM
 
7,700 posts, read 9,537,430 times
Reputation: 5667
I would NEVER accept a job in a new city without visiting the office first. Do it at your own expense if you have to. The office may be a total dump (not uncommon for startups).

Startups in Atlanta also excel at talking a big game. They also excel in going belly-up quickly when their funding runs out (probably like startups everywhere). In fact, I'd really, REALLY think hard about quitting a job and moving to a new city for a startup. No matter what they told you, regardless of who they promised their backers or clients are, mark my words: They could be gone in 6 months. Or sooner. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

Also, even if they don't go completely belly-up, they could cut jobs if they hit a snag. An the last one in is usually the first one out. Beware of startups!!!! This isn't Silicon Valley where you can just move on to the next one if it doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 PM
 
1,151 posts, read 927,933 times
Reputation: 830
I hate the fact that some job interviews require a you to do a presentation. What an ******* thing to do to someone just because they are looking for a job and you know they likely will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top