U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

43 posts, read 133,510 times

Advertisements

Hey NYC-ATL folks

Small family (w/ a baby) Contemplating a move from Queens to Atlanta.
We're are looking for an insider view on the differences (culture shocks) between the 2 cities.

We already know the obvious stuff about ATL, like the lack of a good subway system, Horrendous Traffic, & cheaper real estate.

I'm Really looking to get a sense for how you may have reacted to:
-the crazy NYC diversity vs. much less so in ATL
-constant hustle & bustle of NYC vs. Slower paced ATL
-having to foot-it everywhere in NYC vs. Driving everywhere in ATL
Any other observations....

Thanks
G&A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,501,596 times
I never lived in NYC, but I spent a month commuting there every day from Connecticut at one point. Nothing like NYC or Chicago. I'd compare it to a smaller big city like Boston or San Diego.

Diversity: The North metro is more diverse than the South metro. The South metro is mostly divided into areas primarily of one ethnicity or culture (primarily either white or black) with only a few exceptions. The North metro has more mixed populations and more asian and hispanic populations as well. Especially Marietta, Smyrna, Norcross, other parts of Gwinnett County and intown are very diverse.

Pace: Atlanta isn't very slow-paced. It's more like a Northern city (Boston, etc) but definately not crazy like NYC.

Walking vs driving: It all depends on where you live and where you work and how much you're willing to pay. Some areas along MARTA are almost as outrageous as Manhatten. There's a N-S (Peachtree -- Atlanta's Broadway) and E-W rail line (I-20) that goes all the way to the edge of the city limits and you can work and live along the N-S line since it's the most developed part of the metro (Buckhead, midtown, downtown, Dunwoody, etc). Unfortunately, some of the most expensive areas are on the N-S line line as well -- but unless looking at the most exclusive luxury condos, you should still find things competitive or maybe even more affordable than Queens real estate. There's also a developed bus system in Fulton, Cobb, and Gwinnett counties and you can access most employment centers (like Cumberland, Windward Parkway and Kennesaw) by bus if not by rail. However, much of the affordable housing housing and shopping requires a car (aside for some REALLY affordable areas on the E-W line that aren't established yet ). When it comes to cars, metro NYC is one place that's actually more congested than Atlanta

I think the change in climate will also be something to adjust to.

Last edited by netdragon; 03-17-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM

43 posts, read 133,510 times
NetDragon- very insightful response... and a lot of great info.
Esp. about the asian population since my wife is chinese & wouldn't mind meeting some other chinese every now and then.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Duluth also has more Asian people than most of the metro. However, by more I mean 5% of the population is Asian... Again, nothing like NYC

Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM

200 posts, read 917,228 times
I'm from NJ and moved to Atlanta. An area like Alpharetta has a lot of transplants.

The culture shock was not that bad. The food is better in NY. The shopping here is Awesome!!! The schools are all not as bad as they all say. I live in Fosyth county. The homes are such a bargain here.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 61,074 times
Hi Calcbunny,

Can you recommend some good apartment complexes near Buckhead? My wife and I are moving from NJ and your inputs will really help.

I will be working in Buckhead and was told that Dunwoody and Marietta will be good options to live.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Smyrna, Cumberland and Vinings are better commutes from Cobb County if working in Buckhead than Marietta, which will have a longer commute. Dunwoody would be a good choice because MARTA hits it. Someone I know stays at the Amli at Perimeter Place and likes living there.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 4,935,778 times
I lived on the upper East side for four years, then NJ then MA. Atlanta is much more spread out with more green space. Not as many restaurants (or nearly as good). Much lower real estate prices. It is hard to even compare. It is a very different city. You really have to have a car, the Marta isn't anything like the subway. In my opinion NYC is a great city to live in without children. Atlanta (I'm in East Cobb) is a great city to be in with children. So for me and this faze of my life, I really like Atlanta. A few years ago I would not have consiered it. If you expect it to be like NY you will be disappointed. If you can appreciate its uniqueness you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM

48 posts, read 92,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George&Alora View Post
Hey NYC-ATL folks

Small family (w/ a baby) Contemplating a move from Queens to Atlanta.
We're are looking for an insider view on the differences (culture shocks) between the 2 cities.

We already know the obvious stuff about ATL, like the lack of a good subway system, Horrendous Traffic, & cheaper real estate.

I'm Really looking to get a sense for how you may have reacted to:
-the crazy NYC diversity vs. much less so in ATL
-constant hustle & bustle of NYC vs. Slower paced ATL
-having to foot-it everywhere in NYC vs. Driving everywhere in ATL
Any other observations....

Thanks
G&A
I'm born/raised in Astoria, Queens (26 years) and have now lived in Peachtree City (south of Atlanta) for the past 4 years. Nothing is like NY. You'll miss the walk to the corner deli/pizza/fruit stand/bakery/etc. Unlike NY, you'll need a car in Atlanta.

Can't speak for the north side, but the south side has just about nil diversity. It's either just about all black or all white...little in between, which is a shame.

Atlanta isn't as slowed paced as people think. It shouldn't be lumped in with the rest of the South....it's a real city.

You can hoof it in Atlanta, but you'll be doing so by way of car ride at some point of the journey.

Best part of Atlanta is the cheap prices of big homes in the 'burbs compared to up north and still having a pretty big city within shouting distance.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 PM

The Northern suburbs are more diverse than the South 'burbs and much like parts of metro NYC (Rye, New Rochelle, White Plains, Stamford, Greenwich, etc), but Atlanta itself only has small pockets that are anything like inside the city limits of NYC. Unfortunately, the Northern suburbs are also more expensive. Gwinnett County (Norcross, Duluth, Lawrenceville), Dekalb County and Cobb County (Marietta, Smyrna, Powder Springs, Kenessaw) are the most affordable and most diverse of the North metro. Unfortunately, aside from parts of Dekalb county, they are also not on MARTA rail.

Other than Buckhead and midtown, little five points is another affordable area that will seem more like NYC and you can probably shop without a car. Some areas all over the metro have pockets of mixed retail/housing liveable communities, but very few that have everything you'd need without having to hop between them in a car then start walking again. You're likely only to get everything you need in areas tied to MARTA rail.

MARTA - Getting There - Rail Schedules & Maps (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or