Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times

Advertisements

My organization has a relocation opportunity that would involve moving from the Twin Cities down to Atlanta. We still have to evaluate the offer, but in the mean time I'll be flying to Atlanta for work at the end of the month, and I'm staying the weekend to scope out potential neighborhoods. Can you help me at least narrow my search?

We are in our young 30s with 2 young children. My wife and I would like to live ITP, particularly in an area that has it's own downtown, or walkable nodes of businesses with perhaps some coffee shops, restaurants, a grocery store etc. We've spent our lives living in the burbs, but really we prefer an area with some character and some independent shops and restaurants.

Wish list in order of priority:
-somewhat walkable/independent shops/not suburbs
-safe
-decent to good schools
-3+ bedroom house between $400 - $600K (is this realistic?)

For the time being, assume that commute is not a factor, although I'd like to not be south of Downtown Atlanta. Could you at least provide a few general areas to focus my weekend search, that might give me feel for the area?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 AM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
Check out Peachtree City

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
Check out Peachtree City
That fails almost every single one of his requirements or wishes.

Decatur, Old Fourth Ward and Grant Park should all be reasonable options. Virginia-Highland, Morningside and Midtown might be, though even $600k might be a stretch for anything desirable in those areas.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:27 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
That fails almost every single one of his requirements or wishes.

Decatur, Old Fourth Ward and Grant Park should all be reasonable options. Virginia-Highland, Morningside and Midtown might be, though even $600k might be a stretch for anything desirable in those areas.
Old Fourth Ward and Grant Park don't have the best schools, though. Look into that--I think there is a portion of OFW zoned for Grady/Inman/Mary Lin--which are good, but check the zone for the houses you are looking at. As cute as Grant Park is, I would opt for less house in Va-Hi or Morningside because of the better schools. Grant Park has a charter school but not everyone gets in.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Old Fourth Ward and Grant Park don't have the best schools, though. Look into that--I think there is a portion of OFW zoned for Grady/Inman/Mary Lin--which are good, but check the zone for the houses you are looking at. As cute as Grant Park is, I would opt for less house in Va-Hi or Morningside because of the better schools. Grant Park has a charter school but not everyone gets in.
Yes, expect that you're right and that you know the in-town schools and their boundaries better than I do.

To the OP: if you're willing to drop your ITP requirement, both historic downtown Roswell and historic downtown Marietta would also provide you with much of what you're looking for, if the aforementioned in-town neighborhoods don't pan out.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:39 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Yes, expect that you're right and that you know the in-town schools and their boundaries better than I do.

To the OP: if you're willing to drop your ITP requirement, both historic downtown Roswell and historic downtown Marietta would also provide you with much of what you're looking for, if the aforementioned in-town neighborhoods don't pan out.
Agreed. And Smyrna has a walkable "downtown," as well, if you can get near there. IMPORTANT--find out the location of your job and then house hunt accordingly. If your job is near Decatur, then we can point you toward neighborhoods that would work best. Likewise if you are working in Buckhead, downtown, midtown or a suburban area. Traffic is such that you will NOT want a cross-town commute.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The job is in Sandy springs, right off the MARTA line, but the role has extreme flexibility to work from home as much or as little as I want. So I'd love to have a commute that averages under an hour for those one off times I do go into the office.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The job is in Sandy springs, right off the MARTA line, but the role has extreme flexibility to work from home as much or as little as I want. So I'd love to have a commute that averages under an hour for those one off times I do go into the office.
Understood. All of the aforementioned locations would work for a Sandy Springs work location. MARTA is a plus if you're near an in-town station, clearly, especially if you are near the red line and can thus avoid a transfer at Five Points. If you're driving, both Roswell and Marietta might actually provide a better commute than some of the city neighborhoods, as 400 and 85 southbound into the city are nightmarish in the afternoon. But again, all of these are likely good options and would likely reliably provide a commute of well less than one hour. AtlJan's Smyrna suggestion is also quite practical.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:41 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Evannole has good suggestions. There are a lot of good intown east side neighborhoods with cool little downtowns. Kirkwood is another example.

I would do your own research and decide what is best on schools. I think Maynard Jackson High school district is a "best buy" right now. It is improving very rapidly.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Minnesota native here- lived in Edina, Eden Prairie and Plymouth (near downtown Wayzata).

Check out Roswell, especially the areas around Canton Street where you will find a lot of Southern charm and some of the best restaurants in the Atlanta area. The third Thursdays of the month (April-October) is the extremely popular Roswell after Five which is basically a huge street fair with bands, food, beverage and kids' events.

The parks and rec department is amazing with tons of activiities. Go by Roswell Area Park (RAP) on a Saturday.

Schools are very good and you'll have a relatively easy commute, for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta