Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 AM

129 posts, read 163,051 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for cities/zips/neighborhoods that offer the following:

-at least 3 bedrooms, under $300k
-decent public schools
-low crime
-middle/upper class black families
-organic focused grocery store and/or vegan friendly restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:22 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
I'm looking for cities/zips/neighborhoods that offer the following:

-at least 3 bedrooms, under $300k
-decent public schools
-low crime
-middle/upper class black families
-organic focused grocery store and/or vegan friendly restaurants
What zip code will you be commuting to (and from) for work?

Unfortunately it is often the consideration of traffic conditions, the length of one's rush hour commute and the location of one's workplace that often are key factors in determining where one will live in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Tucker

Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Tucker
For schools You also may want to check out the Parkview school zone in Lilburn (part of that school zone even has a Tucker mailing address). The schools vary from good enough to almost great, all are very diverse (probably no true 50%+racial majority in the schools, though neighborhoods can vary a lot in diversity). And, race, income and academic achievement are pretty independent of each other there. That is, black students are much more likely to have a similar economic background and similar academic success to white and Asian students in fairly high performing schools—(that is not the case for most Intown schools). I am not that sure about the dining choices, but you are close-in for for a suburb—so you are a reasonable drive to Decatur, which I know has Indian Vegetarian and trendy vegetarian options.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Tucker
I don't want to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned Tucker....

Just curious, how diverse is Tucker? My wife has been talking about it (as well as Duluth as places she'd consider), because it's closer to her job in Buckhead. We're in Marietta now, which we love. But it seems these days, I love it more than she does.

I don't deal with the traffic as much, since I spend most of my time traveling to NY (back and forth). On my days off I am at home, and don't venture into town as much. So traffic doesn't affect me as much. I don't want to change schools for the kids either, but the topic has come up a few times.

So please elaborate on Tucker. We're a diverse family, so we look for these things when moving to an area.
I hear it's a small town. I might go for a drive this weekend, but I'd like to hear more about Tucker from those who know.

What specific areas in Tucker should I look at? House prices between $350k-$400k, and schools to reflect the house prices/demographics etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned Tucker....

Just curious, how diverse is Tucker? My wife has been talking about it (as well as Duluth as places she'd consider), because it's closer to her job in Buckhead. We're in Marietta now, which we love. But it seems these days, I love it more than she does.

I don't deal with the traffic as much, since I spend most of my time traveling to NY (back and forth). On my days off I am at home, and don't venture into town as much. So traffic doesn't affect me as much. I don't want to change schools for the kids either, but the topic has come up a few times.

So please elaborate on Tucker. We're a diverse family, so we look for these things when moving to an area.
I hear it's a small town. I might go for a drive this weekend, but I'd like to hear more about Tucker from those who know.

What specific areas in Tucker should I look at? House prices between $350k-$400k, and schools to reflect the house prices/demographics etc.
I don't live in Tucker any more, but when I did (up until about six years ago) my neighborhood consisted of white, black, Asian, German, Mexican, old, young, gay, straight, single parent families, massive extended families, etc. The neighborhood across the street from mine had all that plus several Indian families. Honestly, Tucker is the only place I've ever lived in Atlanta that I would describe as diverse. I lived in the Brockett Elementary district, which tends to be a less expensive than the Livsey or Midvale districts. The cheaper prices increase the diversity. I'm not quite as familiar with Midvale, but Livsey and Brockett have always been highly regarded elementary schools.

At your price point, the Livsey area might be a good place to start, but it's probably 95+% white. If I were moving back to Tucker, I'd try to get within walking distance of Main Street. Probably somewhere in the neighborhoods between the high school and the library.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:53 AM

815 posts, read 708,011 times
I agree with Born 2 Roll that you need to narrow your search to communities reasonably close to where you work. There are going to be good options no matter what side of town you live on.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I live in Duluth.

It fits your requirements perfectly. But I probably wouldn't consider it if I had to commute to Buckhead daily during regular commuter hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta