Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times

Advertisements

I've been in Atlanta about 3-4 years now. I'm an African-American nursing student and have lived in several Atlanta suburbs and am familiar with most. Dunwoody and Sandy Springs (the areas I really like) seemed to have all white or jewish homeowners, with a few Asians here and there. I noticed that blacks may RENT in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs, but rarely BUY. These are areas I would consider in a heartbeat because of what they have to offer, period. Are minorities not welcomed, or are real estate agents discouraging or blocking minorities purchases in these seemingly all white suburbs? Help, please, I hate segregation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
When I met that woman on the plane from Dunwoody -- I asked her about house prices and she said a decent 3BR/2Ba would be at least $400K..... I know for me that is more than I want to spend and I make good money and I like a nice house too, but if I can get something nice for $300K why would I pay $400K?

Just speculating....

Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 PM

31 posts, read 149,198 times
There are plenty of non-whites in that area, but I guess they could be renting, I'm not sure. If you have the money to buy there go ahead, you won't have any problems. The truth is that area is really expensive and on average Asians make more money in this country than any other racial group, followed by whites. African-Americans on average make the least of any racial group, so I'm not surprised you do not find many in an area where homes are ridiculously expensive. Yet, there is a history of those areas being white which could possibly discourage black people with a lot of money from moving there and going to a newer suburb where they can get more for their money.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
Maybe this is nothing more than a large scale self segregation, move based on their (insert any minority group) own comfort level and not because they are not welcome?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Maybe this is nothing more than a large scale self segregation, move based on their (insert any minority group) own comfort level and not because they are not welcome?
This is my problem, why is Atlanta Georgia still self segragating? Is this 2006? This is where the heart of some of the most historical civil rights events took place. All so we can still be race segragated? Ridiculous.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
The simplest answer is affordability. Most Whites can't afford to buy in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. But if modern-day segregation is to be successful, then affordability will have to play a major part. Factor that in, and it's not so simple anymore.

I'm one of those African Americans who rents in Sandy Springs. When we're ready to buy, I hope to be able to buy here also. I won't be scared away. At the same time, I plan to do what you're doing and actually say what's going on instead of pretending like I don't see it. The process of fighting against any kind of segregation today is tough. The local news begins and ends with Black faces and Black crime in the same old neighborhoods. So as long as this continues, folks will feel justified in their presumptions that Blacks=crime--no matter where they live. And they'll feel justified in their self segregation. On the other side, the Black folks who are law abiding and taxpaying, church-going, hard-working citizens have been way too silent about this living arrangement. They don't feel welcome as potential homeowners in the areas you mentioned. While this is self-imposed, it's definitely part of the plan.

I agree with you 100%, jewel: it's ridiculous. The first place me and my family visited was the Dr. King historic site. How ironic it is that so many civil rights victories came out of Atlanta--yet it's still one of the most segregated cities in the country. It's shameful if you ask me.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin44 View Post
There are plenty of non-whites in that area, but I guess they could be renting, I'm not sure. If you have the money to buy there go ahead, you won't have any problems. The truth is that area is really expensive and on average Asians make more money in this country than any other racial group, followed by whites. African-Americans on average make the least of any racial group, so I'm not surprised you do not find many in an area where homes are ridiculously expensive. Yet, there is a history of those areas being white which could possibly discourage black people with a lot of money from moving there and going to a newer suburb where they can get more for their money.
I don't know about "plenty" of non-whites here. There's plenty if the purpose is to have very few. There are no doubt folks in Cumming who think there are "plenty" enough non-whites up there.

I agree that the homes in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody are ridiculously priced, and that most people can't afford to buy here. But I think your last sentence is contradictory. Blacks who can afford to buy here are discouraged precisely because the areas have been historically White and non-welcoming, and not simply because of the ability to buy a cheaper house in a cheaper suburb.

p.s. Not to nitpick, but African Americans aren't the poorest minority; Latinos are.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I don't know about "plenty" of non-whites here. There's plenty if the purpose is to have very few. There are no doubt folks in Cumming who think there are "plenty" enough non-whites up there.

I agree that the homes in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody are ridiculously priced, and that most people can't afford to buy here. But I think your last sentence is contradictory. Blacks who can afford to buy here are discouraged precisely because the areas have been historically White and non-welcoming, and not simply because of the ability to buy a cheaper house in a cheaper suburb.

p.s. Not to nitpick, but African Americans aren't the poorest minority; Latinos are.
Well, and statistically speaking, anytime you want to shut out a certain group of people from a particular area, all you have to do is raise real estate prices, and problem solved. They shop all they want, eat all they want, work all they want, but can't afford to live there. My thing is, if any city in the nation has well to do upper middle class/ upper class blacks, it's Atlanta. This would be one of the last cities I would expect blacks to have to settle living in a "cheaper" suburb.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
Another variable is the well to do African-Americans' desire to live amongst each other in areas such as the Cascade and other pockets around the metro area. I do not see this as intentional, but rather people wanting to live within their comfort zone.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Well, and statistically speaking, anytime you want to shut out a certain group of people from a particular area, all you have to do is raise real estate prices, and problem solved. .
This isn't entirely correct. There is a subdivision near my home in West Cobb where the homes range from $275,000 to $425,000. It's about 35% (or so) Black. Certainly not what I'd call "affordable" homes in my salary range, but it doesn't seem to be holding Black families back around here. One reason however, is that so many people fall into the adjustable rate or interest-only mortgage scams, thinking they're getting a huge "affordable" home. Minorities seem to go after these more than others according to a real estate agent I know. Sometimes it works out for them, other times it winds up as a forclosure eventually.

Regardless of how people are affording these homes though, I know there are still plenty of Black families in higher income ranges all over the metro area (we sell to many of them where I work). Many of them however, do "self segregate" themselves into very high-end majority Black subdivisions in various areas, much the same way some whites do the same in other areas.

As one Black customer who lives in one of these places told me when I asked why they lived in that particular community... quote: "There's a lot of black trash in Atlanta. That's not what we're [his family] about. We live there because we're around other Black people who feel as we do about the problems in the city". - end quote. So just like high income whites will look down at someone who lives in a mobile home and perhaps refer to them as "trash", it appears there is also class-segregation among Blacks here as well, who view the inner city Black community in the same way whites view more rural whites, etc. It no doubt has an impact on home buying trends in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta