U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,937 times

Advertisements

We are black (my husband and I) and we are planning to move to the Alpharetta/Roswell area. These are the ONLY areas we have considered moving to in Georgia after doing our research. We've been back and forth to Ga several times..as recently as this past week. We were shown homes in Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwody(sp) and one house in Canton.

We live in the Va/DC/MD area now and there are many affluent blacks where we live now and and we live in an upper middle class area that is predominately white. The housing costs in our area is outrageous when compared to any area in Ga that has been mentioned here! We can get our house or a house like ours in those areas for HALF the cost that we get here in our current area. We can even get a 'better' home in some cases. We were very impressed with the houses we viewed there. Income isn't an issue for us--as our income exceeds the average income of the areas we are considering moving too. We are only concerned with location, schools for our kids and a sense of community. We also like Ga because there are a lot of blacks doing well there---just like the area we live in now.

Where we live they just build large, luxury homes but the planning of the neighborhoods isn't done well. There are just large homes but no sense of community. Many of the areas we visited in Ga seemed more family oriented. You actually get more for your money---lots of recreation in the neighborhoods---which is something we are missing in our current area.

When we were with our realtor---who is also black btw--she didn't make us feel as if we were 'locked' out of the areas we were viewing. She actually talked these areas up. She did mention that a lot of people--both white and black people are not in a position to move to those areas in Ga. She told us that we didn't have such a problem because our income exceeds most people incomes in Ga. Thats because we live in an area where the cost of living is higher and the pay is greater and our jobs or income won't change even after we move to GA fortunately. The people in the areas also were very friendly when we were viewing the homes. We received many smiles and waves from everyone (mostly whites). We didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Then again, we are used to living in predominately white areas. It doesn't bother us at all...just as long as I can SEE some of my people (smile). I don't want to be someplace where I NEVER see another black person. NO WAY! but I don't have to live with black people 24 hours a day..NO.

This topic caught my eye and I'm glad I found it. I'll keep my eye open for additional comments. I'd be interested in seeing if there are any VALID reasons that blacks seemingly don't move to these areas other than economical ones....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,955,125 times
Onmyway~

Welcome. I was glad to read your post, primarily because it's testimony as to why Blacks can live where ever we want. Like you and your family, we looked at Alpharetta and thought that it had a nice community feel to it. Not a large percentage of Black folks, but we didn't feel uncomfortable or threatened by it. Every where I've gone, I always see at least one or two Black, Asian or Latino people. Even at church--traditionally the most segregated hour of the week--we see folks who look like us.

Initially, I was intent on living in Cascade, Lithonia or Stone Mountain for purely social reasons. But in checking out those areas, it didn't feel like folks were about moving the communities forward--just sort of ... I don't know ... existing.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not naive enough to know that a lot of folks in Alpharetta/Sandy Springs/Roswell would just assume we not live there, but there are plenty more who prefer a little more diversity. Albeit an upper-class diversity. I think it's a testament to middle and upper income Blacks who make the choice to make these new areas diverse. Whites of the same class would do well to do the same.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,825,035 times
First of all, there is actually much diversity in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs -- though most of it may be due to renters. (Take a look at the racial compositoins of N. Springs High School, Riverwood High School and Dunwoody High.)

As a long time Dunwoody resident, with many friends in Sandy Springs, I have to tell you that economics is the main reason. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs really don't offer that much value to the average home buyer. Unless you are spending the really big bucks (say over $750,000), you will be making sacrifices to buy say a $400,000 home in Dunwoody/SS over say EAst Cobb, Gwinnett, N. Fulton and S. Dekalb. You get bigger houses, bigger lots, newer everything and perhaps lower taxes.

Many renters, of all races, after renting here for a while, feel as though the sacrifices that they would need to make to live in Dunwoody/SS aren't worth it and choose to go elsewhere.

That said, there is certainly more diversity in Dunwoody than 15 years ago among homeowners. Most of the homeowners who would have objected to integration are dead, in nursing homes or simply moved to whiter pastures.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 18,075 times
I am african
American i grew up in Iowa why dont you be the first African american to buy there? Some African Americans grew up with alot of racism and are reluctant to buy where its all white. Laws protect people of color and alot of people have died for our freedom think outside of the box diverse is better you can still join the NAACP.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM

546 posts, read 2,240,032 times
It has nothing to do with race. The upper class blacks know their economic standings, and that's all that matters. Why would you buy in an area where home prices are well above the average, just to show that you can buy there?

Old 01-01-2007, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 31,005 times
Default NOt at all

NOt at all, I grew up in Atlanta and owned a home in Sandy Springs- there are African American homesowners there and many more in Buckhead an even more expensive area. It has nothing to do with racisim I can assure you. I was also a Realtor there from 1991 till 2004. If you buy there may you enjoy your home and your super surroundings.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 8,346,493 times
Smile B from South Florida

I like your attitude! Even though I am white, I share your comments and would consider the same areas.

We also want a true sense of community; I want to know my neighbors and diverse is fine! - our children are 22 and 17 but we still want to be involved.

We are both self employed and concerned about starting over. Husband is a CPA and wife is a mortgage broker. Comments?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:00 AM

13 posts, read 34,572 times
Fair disclosure: I am a white male in his 50's, married for over 36 years to the same woman, a lovely Puerto Rican and we have three great sons. We currently live in Alpharetta, very close to the Roswell line. We lived the majority of our married life in East Cobb and our sons all attended public schools there. We moved to Alpharetta a few years ago to shorten my wife's commute to her office in Roswell. I retired a few years ago. I am a native Atlantan and my wife moved here with her family when she was 13 years old.

My favorite book is entitled "How to Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff. It is an old book so many of the examples are outdated but the central theme holds true today. In our media oriented, mass communication, grab the numbers as best one can society, "things" are often misunderstood.

Here is a good example. Crime statistics are frequently quoted on the basis on cities, as contrasted to MSA's. The Atlanta MSA is approaching 5 million while the City of Atlanta population is barely above 400,000. Atlanta has a huge daily and nightly influx of visitors from conventioneers, shoppers and workers. To compare the crime statistics of the City of Atlanta to the City of Dallas, for example, which has a city population of 1 million is fruitless. Still, folks do it.

Ergo, when I read the question: why aren't more blacks buying in Dunwoody, my immediate thought was: the same reason I didn't buy in Dunwoody: I cannot afford a decent house in Dunwoody. I went to www.coldwellbankeratlanta.com and ran a search for single family homes in the price range from 150,000 to 250,000 and got 1 home in the results. One home. If you want a decent home in Dunwoody, it will cost you.

While it is easy and perfunctory to analyze demographic data for the number of blacks living in Dunwoody, perhaps a more useful analysis would be to consider the housing costs. Not many blacks live there for the same reason that I didn't buy there: affordability.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,955,125 times
Every so often in this discussion, it becomes necessary to refresh the focus of this particular thread. We know that Blacks and Latinos are not/do not buy homes in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. We know that these are very expensive areas to buy homes.

Let's not waste bandwith by stating the obvious. Rather, let's continue to ask why such areas are so unaffordable. The discussion was just starting to get past the oversimplification of "supply and demand", and then ... nothing.

Aren't folks the least bit intellectually curious about the who, why, and how?

Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM

187 posts, read 843,188 times
I love you backfist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or