Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
This isn't entirely correct. There is a subdivision near my home in West Cobb where the homes range from $275,000 to $425,000. It's about 35% (or so) Black. Certainly not what I'd call "affordable" homes in my salary range, but it doesn't seem to be holding Black families back around here. One reason however, is that so many people fall into the adjustable rate or interest-only mortgage scams, thinking they're getting a huge "affordable" home. Minorities seem to go after these more than others according to a real estate agent I know. Sometimes it works out for them, other times it winds up as a forclosure eventually.

Regardless of how people are affording these homes though, I know there are still plenty of Black families in higher income ranges all over the metro area (we sell to many of them where I work). Many of them however, do "self segregate" themselves into very high-end majority Black subdivisions in various areas, much the same way some whites do the same in other areas.

As one Black customer who lives in one of these places told me when I asked why they lived in that particular community... quote: "There's a lot of black trash in Atlanta. That's not what we're [his family] about. We live there because we're around other Black people who feel as we do about the problems in the city". - end quote. So just like high income whites will look down at someone who lives in a mobile home and perhaps refer to them as "trash", it appears there is also class-segregation among Blacks here as well, who view the inner city Black community in the same way whites view more rural whites, etc. It no doubt has an impact on home buying trends in the city.
Well put Atlantagreg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 AM

21 posts, read 152,764 times
I just wanted to post to say that this thread has been pretty enlightening to me as a born Chicagoan who has spent time in both the northeast and northwest, and is now down here in ATL figuring out where to buy a house. Thanks to those who are contributing the brass tacks of the conversation, they're helpful.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM

279 posts, read 472,213 times
realtors will sell to anybody with the cash...nobody is keeping blacks out.
it is more of a historical thing...whites have always lived there.
i think most blacks are chosing to buy in south dekalb county...there are many upscale subdivisons that are mostly black.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM

279 posts, read 472,213 times
"What's usually missing from the simplicity of supply-and-demand is the question of why? Why is the demand so high and why is the supply so limited?"
Demand is high cause everyone is moving to atl for jobs or cheaper living, supply is limited cause there is no more land being made...this is it.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
I see. If only we could just make more land ...

Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Backfist and Derrick are dead-on accurate with their posts!

It is great to see black folks (of which I am) coming to Atlanta and doing very well. However, there is a large tendency in this town for folks to self-segregate...both black and white. While it is great to see an affluent black neighborhood, at the same time one of the negatives about this town is the segregation. Not only in neighborhoods, but in nightlife as well.

I myself live intown in a gentrifying neighborhood, but I wish the neighborhood would be able to maintain its diversity. The best part and the biggest advantage of living in a major metropolitan area is to live around and learn from people different than yourself...I just hope that people here in Metro Atlanta eventually wake up and realize that.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 211,878 times
I totally agree with you.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM

56 posts, read 253,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Backfist and Derrick are dead-on accurate with their posts!

It is great to see black folks (of which I am) coming to Atlanta and doing very well. However, there is a large tendency in this town for folks to self-segregate...both black and white. While it is great to see an affluent black neighborhood, at the same time one of the negatives about this town is the segregation. Not only in neighborhoods, but in nightlife as well.

I myself live intown in a gentrifying neighborhood, but I wish the neighborhood would be able to maintain its diversity. The best part and the biggest advantage of living in a major metropolitan area is to live around and learn from people different than yourself...I just hope that people here in Metro Atlanta eventually wake up and realize that.
+ 1 self segragation is a fact and more people need to realize it.
Just look at the school cafetira

Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christa17 View Post
+ 1 self segragation is a fact and more people need to realize it.
Just look at the school cafetira
I realize that, but eventually we all need to grow up past this "school cafeteria" mindset. In a lot of other cities that I've been, you don't see the self-segregation to the point that you see it here in Atlanta. I just strongly feel that it's an obstacle that the metro area has to overcome in order to truly be a world-class city.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
I have seen self segregation in most cities that I've visited. It's very common and I think it is a result of people naturally wanting to live around other people like them, and the easiest way to identify with strangers is through visuals...i.e. skin color. In Atlanta it is popular among all races to live in segregated neighborhoods, so I don't really see that it's hurting anyone as long as it is by choice. I happen to live in a very black and white mixed neighborhood located in an inner ring suburb that is 75% black. I don't even notice and it's not something I think about...we're all just people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta