Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yup, and Prince William County plus Manassas is almost exactly like Gwinnett county. I have family that lives in Manassas, and when I visit I have to do a double take every day to check and see if I woke up in Duluth.
Please view my post in the city v. city forum and take the time to click all comparative links. I know it is long, but it show cases key differences at a Macro level... not to mention the census quick facts I posted.

There was alot being missed in that thread.

I get the idea that you can get off the freeway and can find areas that are largely similar, but there are lots of things missing from Prince William + Manassas and there are bigger differences in county-wide zoning/development patterns.

It is not exactly like Gwinnett.

The ways it is different, happen to be key to this discussion of Atlanta's development patterns being different from DC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Here are the census quick facts (most are including Manassas FYI)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50033737-post27.html

This post is a bit confusing in that most of it is an arguments to previous posts, but skip the intro and get to the comparative links... there are key differences in terms of business development, what happens further from the freeway, and how many apartments there are in core areas, etc...

This post, if nothing else, has good comparative links at showing different parts of the county.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50038089-post33.html

Old 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
What Nashville can learn from Dallas about transit

Nashville writer on lessons from Dallas.

And one of those critical "alternative press" articles mentioned by the Nashville writer-"Build more buses!!!!"

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...-big-big-buses

Both articles relevant to Atlanta's issues.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
My trip to Seattle (that I didn't even charge the taxpayers for), showed me how great the bus could be.

Their buses weren't even buses really, they were like street trolleys. I loved the overhead power wires (gave it a sense of permanence), and I absolutely loved the straight line routes. None of the detour BS typical of MARTA routes.

Oh and of course, the high frequency. And the high capacity (articulated bus).

Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
My trip to Seattle (that I didn't even charge the taxpayers for), showed me how great the bus could be.

Their buses weren't even buses really, they were like street trolleys. I loved the overhead power wires (gave it a sense of permanence), and I absolutely loved the straight line routes. None of the detour BS typical of MARTA routes.

Buses are great, but they're not a replacement for a strong rail system. Seattle knows this, and that's why they're scrambling to build out so much light rail, even removing buses from the downtown tunnel.

As always, we need a full range of tech. There is never a single vehicle type nor mode that will singularly solve our problems.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Flood the zone with sleek, modern, efficient high frequency buses.

Skip the decades of mind-numbing, massively expensive feasibility studies that line the pockets of engineering and consulting firms. Buy American and get those babies on the road forthwith.

I believe our current transit planners can figure out a way to do this without "bus bunching," but if they can't, then we need a new crew of transit planners.

Imagine what could be done with even 10% of the billions that are earmarked for rail lines that may well be as underutilized as our current rail lines.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Flood the zone with sleek, modern, efficient high frequency buses.

Skip the decades of mind-numbing, massively expensive feasibility studies that line the pockets of engineering and consulting firms. Buy American and get those babies on the road forthwith.

I believe our current transit planners can figure out a way to do this without "bus bunching," but if they can't, then we need a new crew of transit planners.

Imagine what could be done with even 10% of the billions that are earmarked for rail lines that may well be as underutilized as our current rail lines.
And yet, even Seattle is fighting hard to expand its rail system despite having basically done exactly what you're suggesting to do. As I keep saying, there is no one mode that will be the solution. Buses alone will not cut it. We need more than just a 'flooded' area.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
Traffic update. It is 10:10am and traffic is still backed up from Acworth all the way down to 285 and 85 in Gwinnett is still backed up from 316 to 285.

Hurry up and get heavy rail you idiots

Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
A few of y'all need to travel to a real city and see what a real transit plan is. Do this one day. Travel to NYC and only use the subway to get around. Take it from LGA (bus) then hop on the train into Manhattan to Coney Island to Jamaica Queens and back uptown. Ride on the express trains. Go to the big subway stations in Midtown and see all the commuter rails dropping people off. See how multiple lines run on the same track. See how you can use different train lines to get from Point A to Point B.

Y'all are making Atlanta seem backwards and country will your silly gimmick transit ideas that don't involve heavy rail

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
And yet, even Seattle is fighting hard to expand its rail system despite having basically done exactly what you're suggesting to do. As I keep saying, there is no one mode that will be the solution. Buses alone will not cut it. We need more than just a 'flooded' area.
I agree that no one mode will satisfy everything, but I also have to admit, when I was forced to use Seattle's bus system - I must say - respectfully that is.. it is thousands and thousands of times more effective and efficient than MARTA as well as has a crap ton more coverage. Their rail system... Their Commuter Rail is pretty decent (I mean the REAL train and not their light rail) ...It's no Chicago but North and South has more coverage than MARTA's north and south line. (It starts in Tacoma WA which is aproximately 40ish miles from Downtown Seattle and another 20 - 30 miles to Everett at its northern terminus.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta