Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Omg just join another city and be done with it. Do these people not understand economy of scale? Joining an existing city means immediate fire, police, schools, etc. Brookhaven finally has their act together, just join it.

What's the fear? The only people who push these new cities when they could one of the 5 other cities touching the proposed area are people who believe they will become mayor/city council of the new city. It's a power grab and the citizens of the area proposed are the chumps getting played.

What I don't understand is why Atlanta won't go for it. It's a fairly wealthy area with businesses. The metro should strive to grow it's boundaries and population, very few top tier cities have such a low population compared to their metro area.
Do you not understand diseconomies of scale? Just look at Atlanta. Look at DeKalb Schools.

The area they have been talking about voted overwhelmingly for La Vista Hills. The city narrowly failed because they went too far south (below the RR tracks) and got a number of areas that had no interest. Plus they had a couple of leaders who rubbed everyone the wrong way. Those two are not involved.

The biggest issue seems to be police protection. Atlanta and DeKalb police have no interest in property crime. They've got bigger fish to fry. If your house or car is broken into, they basically just log it and move on.

They did talk to Chamblee last year, but I think Chamblee got pushback from residents who didn't want them expanding beyond 85. Decatur isn't interested. Tucker isn't really a city. They are "city-lite" and just have minimal services and rely on DeKalb police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 AM
bu2

And this isn't really a new initiative. They set it up shortly after the LaVista Hills vote failed, looking for a smaller area among the neighborhoods that favored change from the DeKalb status quo.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Omg just join another city and be done with it. Do these people not understand economy of scale? Joining an existing city means immediate fire, police, schools, etc. Brookhaven finally has their act together, just join it.

What's the fear? The only people who push these new cities when they could one of the 5 other cities touching the proposed area are people who believe they will become mayor/city council of the new city. It's a power grab and the citizens of the area proposed are the chumps getting played.

What I don't understand is why Atlanta won't go for it. It's a fairly wealthy area with businesses. The metro should strive to grow it's boundaries and population, very few top tier cities have such a low population compared to their metro area.
The "fear" is at being absorbed into a city with limited financial resources, a hunger for more revenue, and one faced with the inevitability of further burdening the taxpayers. Not to mention that Brookhaven's aggressive policing of their southern neighborhoods and organized efforts to redevelop the Buford Corridor (which they never wanted in the first place, but had to take at the behest of the state)indicate their earnest desire to 'reverse' the diversity trend.
Thirdly, thus far Brookhaven has shown little interest in the welfare of those of in adjacent neighborhoods south of I-85, except for how we can be used for their agenda. They certainly don't seem to be bothered by the devastating impact the CHOA and EP plans will have on our infrastructure. It's that lack of concern that drew CHOA to them in the first place, hello? Damn the consequences, full speed ahead. Besides, the majority of voters in Brookhaven won't be the least bit affected, only the red-headed stepchildren that live south of the I-85 barrier.
The City of Brookhaven was originally conceived to be an island of vanilla prosperity, and they're still seeking ways to make that happen. Atlanta may be becoming sensitive to the issue of community displacement, but Brookhaven is its biggest cheerleader.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/10/1...greenway-plans

https://brookhavenpost.co/2014/10/14...ment-strategy/

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Maybe as far east as Clairmont Road. The rest of it could be split up between Chamblee, Doraville, and Tucker.
La Vista Hills mostly failed west of Clairmont and south of the RR tracks and passed in the north and east of the area, which is more or less the Lakeside HS zone.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:20 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
La Vista Hills mostly failed west of Clairmont and south of the RR tracks and passed in the north and east of the area, which is more or less the Lakeside HS zone.
I was referring to the "join existing city" scenario in response to Aries' proposal for the CoA to go all the way to the Northlake area (which would be way too far).

Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 AM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
What this city is called matters little to me - I'm just happy that we'll have another chance to join a city rather than being left out in the cold. Being part of a new city is far better than being screwed over by inept DeKalb County. I live in the area just north of Tucker and south of Doraville, neither of which has any interest at all in annexing us.

Sure hope this passes this time around.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I'd say it's simply about self-determination and having a say in your own destiny.

Nobody wants to be under the thumb of some far off government bureaucrat who knows nothing of your issues and concerns, and could not care less.

In many cases those bureaucrats may not even live in the jurisdiction they are ruling.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times
Oh look, more balkanization of government resources. This area is looking more and more like Metro St. Louis, the land of 100s of jurisdictions, but does not possess any real source of revenue...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Oh look, more balkanization of government resources. This area is looking more and more like Metro St. Louis, the land of 100s of jurisdictions, but does not possess any real source of revenue...
Oh look, more people looking to separate themselves from the inept and corrupt DeKalb County Government in any way they can.

I live in DeKalb and love it, but I also totally get it.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
They aren't leaving Dekalb! Just because you form a new city or annex into an existing one doesn't remove Dekalb, it just adds another layer, and in the case of an Atlanta annexation, an even more corrupt one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta