U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 AM

56 posts, read 81,510 times

Advertisements

I知 here again, thought we had this down. Hubby would like us to also consider Gwinnett County lawrenceville or snellville.
Originally pinned down Fayette County. Now work is off 285 exit 5; will commute from Lawrenceville or snellville be do able?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,118,009 times
It's not going to be fun. There are worse commutes that people in Atlanta trudge through daily. You are talking about a ~50 mile commute through some very congested areas. That's probably around an hour of driving if you are going the speed limit the entire time, which will almost never be the case. You'd need a lot of patience and a hybrid to make that your daily grind.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 AM

384 posts, read 739,282 times
285 Exit 5 is Langford Parkway, way over by Greenbriar Mall in SW Atlanta or East Point. No way in you know where would I do that commute on a daily basis. Fayetteville would be SO SO much better if your job is @ this location.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM

29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
I sure wouldn't want that commute on a daily basis. Why not locate somewhere closer?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,789,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
I知 here again, thought we had this down. Hubby would like us to also consider Gwinnett County lawrenceville or snellville.
Originally pinned down Fayette County. Now work is off 285 exit 5; will commute from Lawrenceville or snellville be do able?
It really would not make much sense. I would find something closer to work (or find a job in Gwinnett).

Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Quote:
A commute from the Lawrenceville area to Exit 5 off of the Southwest Wall of the I-285 Perimeter (near Greenbriar Mall) probably would not be the most highly recommended if one is coming from the north side of the Lawrenceville area that would using I-85.

The toughest part of a daily commute from the Lawrenceville or Snellville areas of Gwinnett to the Greenbriar Mall area would be getting to I-285.

A commute between the Lawrenceville area and the Greenbriar Mall would be maybe slightly less painful (but still very challenging on many days) if one is commuting from the south side of the Lawrenceville area and can use US Highway 29 (Lawrenceville Highway) to get to I-285 where one would be able to go around the east and south sides of the Perimeter to get to Exit 5 on the Southwest Wall of the I-285 Perimeter.

Overall a Lawrenceville-to-Greenbriar Mall area one-way commute would range from between 1 hour (on the rare days with no traffic) to upwards of 1 hour, 50 minutes and/or more on not-so-good days during rush hour.

A Snellville-to-Greenbriar area one-way commute would be even less painful, ranging from between 60-90 minutes and/or more during rush hour by way of US Highway 78 to the east and south sides of the I-285 Perimeter.

Lawrenceville or Snellville to Greenbriar would not be the absolute worst commutes that a large major metro area like Atlanta could offer.

But Lawrenceville or Snellville to Greenbriar also would not the comparatively much shorter commutes that other areas closer to the Greenbriar area like Fayette County, Coweta County, Douglas County and Southern Cobb County would offer.

... Which, quality areas that are closer and provide much shorter commutes to (and from) I-285 Exit 5/Greenbriar Mall like Fayette County, Coweta County, Douglas County and Southern Cobb County are areas that you should look in first before committing to longer rush hour commutes from (and to) Gwinnett County.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for your reply and advise.
Going back to the original Fayette County plan.
You all are awesome.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:07 PM

6,553 posts, read 7,636,686 times
I agree with the others.

If you want to expand your search also consider Newnan and western Cobb County. Cobb County is a large suburban county in the way Gwinnett Co. is.

I'm from Gwinnett right where the Stone Mountain Freeway starts and I can get to that area in about 50 minutes without traffic and about 1 hour - 1:10 with traffic. I do this all the time as I park nearby for long-term off-site airport parking.

Your drive from Lawrenceville to Snelleville to the same area will add 10-30 minutes on top of my drive depending where you located. So that commute would be anywhere from 1:10 to 1:40 in traffic.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 PM

13,454 posts, read 21,932,333 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I agree with the others.

If you want to expand your search also consider Newnan and western Cobb County. Cobb County is a large suburban county in the way Gwinnett Co. is.

I'm from Gwinnett right where the Stone Mountain Freeway starts and I can get to that area in about 50 minutes without traffic and about 1 hour - 1:10 with traffic. I do this all the time as I park nearby for long-term off-site airport parking.

Your drive from Lawrenceville to Snelleville to the same area will add 10-30 minutes on top of my drive depending where you located. So that commute would be anywhere from 1:10 to 1:40 in traffic.

This.

If work is off of I-285, Exit 5, consider the following areas (that are similar to Fayette County, Lawrenceville, and Snellville):

1. Fayette County
2. Coweta County
3. Douglas County
4. Southern Cobb County
5. Southern Paulding County
6. Western Cobb County
7. Villa Rica Area of Carroll County
8. Whitesburg Area of Carroll County

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I agree with the others.

Yes we are looking at Newnan also. They seem to have more housing compared with PTC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or