U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Atlanta's next mayor?
Keisha Lance Bottoms 56 47.46%
Mary Norwood 62 52.54%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:33 PM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't feel good about the prospect of voting for either of them. Kasim Reed's manipulative stunt from yesterday has soiled any good feeling I had about Bottoms. Which was almost none to begin with. And Norwood is just flat out sleazy. Stereotypical politician.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:35 PM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
... I would have preferred Woolard but she didn't make it.
And this.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:37 PM

789 posts, read 640,418 times
Bottoms because I believe she loves SW Atlanta being born, raised, and currently living here with more power I feel she will do more to improve this side of town with minimal gentrification.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:56 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Bottoms because I believe she loves SW Atlanta being born, raised, and currently living here with more power I feel she will do more to improve this side of town with minimal gentrification.
Reed was raised there, too, and he didn't do a whole hell of a lot for SW Atlanta. What makes you think his hand-picked successor will be any different?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

789 posts, read 640,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Reed was raised there, too, and he didn't do a whole hell of a lot for SW Atlanta. What makes you think his hand-picked successor will be any different?
Its a hard balance, if improved too much then we risk all out gentrification which I dont want. But we still want to see improvements that allow the people here now to enjoy, and some big improvements are coming with the Marta expansion tax and Tsplose.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeledrick View Post
Keisha is a woman. So um....
Don't be disingenuous. You know damn well what I mean.
This is why I take political correctness with a grain of salt.
Hypocrites.

Last edited by Iconographer; 11-08-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM

980 posts, read 550,143 times
I think you guys expect too much of mayors. If a mayor is successful in helping move businesses into the city, then gentrification will happen naturally. There are no direct policies that will encourage or discourage gentrification imo.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I was going for Caesar Mitchell. So now I am legitimately torn. I don't like the tax allegations with Bottoms and Fort. But I think Norwood had a decent plan for addressing empty and blighted properties. Help me see both sides. How is she a sleazy politician?
She isn't. The same people keep posting accusations without coming up with a single example.
You know the drill. Keeping throwing crap at the walls, and hope a little of it sticks.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 628,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Not sure how you can improve SW Atlanta without gentrification. It's main issues are lack of a tax base, failing businesses, blight, poor schools and high crime. Every single one of those basically requires wealthier people to move in and invest in the neighborhood. No policy will change that.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it doesn't matter. the only candidates who would have made a difference were cathy woolard and vincent fort. if they had coordinated like the other side did, only one of them would have run, and they would likely be in the runoff. bottoms and norwood are both in for more gentrification, more big business/corporation bids, and no quarter for the people who actually live here...
Woolard and Fort aren't interchangeable candidates; I voted for Woolard and financially supported her campaign, but would not have considered doing so for Fort.

I'm undecided at the moment but will probably vote for Keisha Lance Bottoms. Her connections to the mayor and airport contractors are a little suspicious but I haven't seen any proof of wrongdoing there; the only concrete bad thing I've heard anyone say about her is that she supported breed-specific legislation. That is in no way one of the top issues facing Atlanta imho, so I'm not ruling her out based on that. If electing KLB means four more years of an administration like Kasim Reed's, I can handle that.

Cathy Woolard's endorsement would be extremely valuable to have in the runoff. But it's also somewhat hard for me to imagine her endorsing either candidate; I think they'd really have to embrace her platform for that to happen. If it did, that could decide the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or