Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times

Advertisements

If it had been Camp Creek or Campbellton, people would kinda know where you were talking about. Oh well. Renaissance sounds like a cheesy office complex or a bottle of gas station wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
With the goofy boundaries, I propose North Fairburn-South Union City-West East Point, GA.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Another thought, Atlanta Heights is interesting. Have always wondered why no Atlanta burb has carried the name. Brookhaven area was at one time called North Atlanta, but that's it. I'm comparing to the Miami area which has several suburbs with the word Miami in it.... most notably Miami Beach. North Miami, North Miami Beach, Miami Shores, Miami Gardens, etc.

I could have come up with so many better options even though Camp Creek or Campbellton are the best. Maybe take a page from Milton on the other end of the county and just be Campbell, GA to honor the former county which makes up the area. Or Southern Hills to compliment Chattahoochee Hills. Sounds bucolic and leafy....

Old 11-18-2017, 11:22 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
You're totally right, Campbell would have been the perfect name, honoring actual history. The counterpart to the city of Milton.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
You're totally right, Campbell would have been the perfect name, honoring actual history. The counterpart to the city of Milton.
Campbellton was the original county seat on the Chattahoochee before it moved to Fairburn. I am sure the railroad had something to do with that. So either would honor history.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don't understand how the historic names got nowhere near the final list. What kind of person thinks Atlanta Heights is a good option?
The word "Heights" in a city name screams post war tract housing now in severe decline.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,017 times
I live in Renaissance and I like the name. My wife liked Atlanta Heights more, but to be honest, the poster who mentioned that people are going to have a hard time spelling Renaissance makes a very cogent point.

I am now convinced Atlanta Heights would have been the better option, but I'm glad they chose Renaissance over Camp Creek, Welcome All and some of those other names that warranted consideration.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by School Match 4U View Post
I live in Renaissance and I like the name. My wife liked Atlanta Heights more, but to be honest, the poster who mentioned that people are going to have a hard time spelling Renaissance makes a very cogent point.

I am now convinced Atlanta Heights would have been the better option, but I'm glad they chose Renaissance over Camp Creek, Welcome All and some of those other names that warranted consideration.

I like the name Atlanta Heights.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by School Match 4U View Post

Why wouldn't you choose a name like Camp Creek? Maybe my mindset is different from the majority of people, but I think choosing a name that honors the actual area instead of some random thought like Renaissance would've been better. Campbellton would've been perfect.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
All the cities in that area, including a new city of Campbellton, could easily have had clean, logical borders, centered around their historic centers.

Atlanta at least should have had that awkward Cascade peninsula that goes ITP.

East Point, Union City, Fairburn, and Palmetto should have simply been clear, cohesive, fairly small areas, centered around their historic downtowns. Without gaps and huge holes and all the peninsulas and awkward borders. (Union City especially was guilty of ridiculous annexation that never should have happened.)

And then the rest of the county would be a new city of Campbellton (centered around the site of historic Campbellton), and Chattahoochee Hills to its south. And Campbellton could have simply bordered all of those cities at various boundaries, without grabbing up anything to the east of those boundaries, letting those older cities annex all of that area.

But no. Had to be chaotic and completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta