U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
lol... this video was the first thing that came to mind when he said Tokyo trains...although I agree... and I want more trains too, I'm not sure if it will be anywhere near as effective in Atlanta as it is in Tokyo as Atlanta is designed differently.. (an utter mess) .. and is so spread all over the place making the last mile a big issue when commuting.
Tokyo has, you know, geographic barriers to outward expansion and is located on an island nation.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 AM

1,268 posts, read 628,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
That's abnormal though. They are typically 20-50% full on off hours and 75-90% full during rush hour.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 AM

105 posts, read 67,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Trucks really need a new by-pass.. I-285 is now engulfed deep into the metro. I consider it an inner-city highway. Truly the whole transit system, Train, Bus, and Highway needs a serious overhaul but.. guess Im just wishing here... I don't know if I can continue staying around here with this kind of traffic though..
Face it, we need the outer perimeter, or at least segments of it, now more than ever. To appease lefty urbanites and environmentalists, the highway could be a toll road with very few exits that would primarily serve as a truck bypass which would limit "sprawl". You could restrict the road to "truck only" or ban interstate trucks from traveling inside the outer perimeter, like the banning of thru-trucks ITP. Yes, the extremely high truck traffic on I-75, I-85, and I-285 is absolutely unacceptable and needs to be dealt with soon because it will only get worse.

There is also a need for expanding MARTA too. I believe in a multi-pronged transportation system that offers alternatives. Putting all your eggs in one basket such as 100% transit investment is foolish. It would also be foolish to only invest in highways. We need both working together in a diversity of transportation options.

Last edited by fermie125; 11-15-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
quality of life issue, I'd look to move to a better location.
When faced with either being forced to drastically change your lifestyle to cope with the traffic realities of Atlanta or keeping your same lifestyle and moving to another less-congested city, most people would choose the later. That would make Atlanta less competitive with other cities and spell economic doom. Most people will only be pushed so far until they throw in the towel.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 AM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
The traffic getting horrible is what will force alternative solutions. Adding more lanes and roads is a bandaid. If it speeds up traffic, more people will say "Hey, driving this road is so easy let's move out to the suburbs and commute!" And before you know it, the road is a parking lot again and people are clamoring for more lanes. With this thinking, by 2050, 275 will be a 30 lane highway on either side.

The solution is to not put on a bandaid, but rather to let the traffic force people to think differently. That could mean moving closer to the city instead of commuting, as well as electing officials who promise to expand Marta.

I know many of us feel we would never use MARTA and that this is a car only city, but it doesn't have to be. Trains can be used as your only mode of transportation. Tokyo has density and population that makes Atlanta look practically rural, yet they rarely complain,of traffic because the vast majority of people just hop on trains taking them everywhere they need to go. That is what we should be striving for.
He is making the point that its not just rush hour. Transit is not the least bit realistic for dealing with non-rush hour traffic in outlying areas. Its one thing if you are talking about inside the Beltline. Gwinnett County is totally different.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 AM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Face it, we need the outer perimeter, or at least segments of it, now more than ever. To appease lefty urbanites and environmentalists, the highway could be a toll road with very few exits that would primarily serve as a truck bypass which would limit "sprawl". You could restrict the road to "truck only" or ban interstate trucks from traveling inside the outer perimeter, like the banning of thru-trucks ITP. Yes, the extremely high truck traffic on I-75, I-85, and I-285 is absolutely unacceptable and needs to be dealt with soon because it will only get worse.

There is also a need for expanding MARTA too. I believe in a multi-pronged transportation system that offers alternatives. Putting all your eggs in one basket such as 100% transit investment is foolish. It would also be foolish to only invest in highways. We need both working together in a diversity of transportation options.
Hear, hear!!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Quote:

Someone should've told the state of Georgia that 40+ years ago when it decided to only fund road construction.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,289,155 times
Sad for you. I live near MARTA so I avoid traffic. Great job sitting in traffic while I'm on MARTA laughing at yall. I really love it when people from Gwinnett and Cobb complain about traffic. You voted against MARTA and now you can suffer. I hope traffic for y'all gets worse. Instead of complaining to your county officials you come on here and complain like that's going to help.

Btw intown Atlanta traffic isn't that mad especially since the Braves are gone.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Someone should've told the state of Georgia that 40+ years ago when it decided to only fund road construction.
Yes, or at least begin to lay the foundation for an alternative to the highway network. To be fair 40+ years ago I don't think anybody expected Atlanta to become what it is today. Our exponential growth took almost everybody by surprise. But I think there should have been more planning and forward-thinking from GDOT to prepare for growth both in highway right-of-way buy ups and transit expansion. It is always cheaper to build the system early on before than it is to wait until you have no choice and it costs 50 times more.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Quote:
Yes, or at least begin to lay the foundation for an alternative to the highway network.
MARTA served as a pretty good start for that.

Quote:
To be fair 40+ years ago I don't think anybody expected Atlanta to become what it is today. Our exponential growth took almost everybody by surprise. But I think there should have been more planning and forward-thinking from GDOT to prepare for growth both in highway right-of-way buy ups and transit expansion. It is always cheaper to build the system early on before than it is to wait until you have no choice and it costs 50 times more.
GDOT was too busy being the highway lobby's/politicians' lackey back then with "Freeing the Freeways."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or